LI Phil
(User)
Mon Jun 21 2004 09:28 PM
Re: Question About Forecasting Models

I also think that different models run a different amount of times per day, i.e.:

_AVN_
The AVN model is a 72 hour Forecast Model and is run every 6 hours

_NGM_
The NGM model is a 48 hour Forecast Model and is run every 6 hours

_ETA_
The ETA model is a 48 hour Forecast Model and is run twice a day

_RUC_
The RUC model is a 12 hour Forecast Model and is run five times a day

_MRF_
The MRF model is a 288 hour Forecast Model and is run once a day at 00Zulu

*EDIT*:

Sorry, that is the schedule for the CONUS models, the tropical and global models are different:

AVN/ECMWF/GDFL/NOGAPS/UKMET

These present operational model fields that are being used in a study examining their forecast ability for tropical cyclogenesis in the eastern Pacific and northern Atlantic Hurricane Basins.

TPC/NHC OFFICIAL FORECASTS FOR TROPICAL CYCLONES
This site offers the National Hurricane Center's Tropical Forecast Models,Index of Tropical Forecast models/BAM,BAMM,A90E,LBAR,SHIP,GDFL.

I couldn't find immediate information on when the tropical models are run, but I would imagine it is similar to the CONUS models in that different models run at different times.

Unless all models began their cycles at 00Zulu (maybe they do?), then depending upon how often a model is run, they would be run at different times for a 24 hour period, the cycle would then repeat.

There's probably a much deeper explanation than that (HF, Steve, JK, Scottsvb, et. al), so maybe the mets and may-as-well-be-mets can help out.

Cheers & Peace,

LI Phil

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center