Clark
(Meteorologist)
Thu Aug 26 2004 02:27 AM
Re: Geostrophic Winds

Well, depends on how you want to classify it - I've got the B.S. in meteorology (no comment on that...haha), but still working at future degrees. But, I've learned a lot here too...especially on forecasting and predicting these things than I've learned in classes, where it's almost all theoretical, especially in the tropics.

Quick reply to danielw (who I can't reply to his PM from this Coriolis subject because he's exceeded his quota...oops...plus it might be relevant to all, as it's on rex blocking.) I usually don't like doing this, but don't want to give the impression of being ignored:

"A Rex block is where you have a high pressure system over (i.e. north of) a low pressure system. What happens is that anything that approaches the broad ridge cannot simply ride up and over, as the flow around the low prevents this. Systems cannot go through either as there is no steering current to push them forward (a col region gets set up between the high and the low). Thus, until a strong enough system comes through to break up the block or either the high or the low weaken (it's usually the latter), you get a whole lot of nothing."

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center