Lysis
(User)
Wed Feb 02 2005 08:21 PM
Re: Question regarding Storm Surge

http://www.charlottecountyfl.com/Emergency/Flooding/Storm_Surge11x17.pdf

It seems that the little jut that PGI is located on forms a kind of protective barrier. Looking at this, I suppose that a back door system moving counter clockwise would push water in form the mouth of the peace river.
Conversly, a cyclonic system moving in from the west would push the water up against the south side of the jut --hence the the protective barrier. This still doesnt explain why the water level suddenly decreased during the 2nd half of the storm. I have searched for over two hours, and I cant find a single slosh map of the area. I even came across one site explaining how the surge was, in fact, 15 feet high in my region. Do we have a surge expert anywhere? This is the single greatest threat for costal communites. It is a shame that the wind gets all the attention. Everyone immediatly thinks of wind when they hear the word hurricane.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center