SC Bill
(Verified CFHC User)
Sat Aug 27 2005 11:19 AM
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain

I am confused, which is not unusual. The 11:00 discussion says in part "THIS PATTERN CHANGE SHOULD
CAUSE KATRINA TO TURN NORTHWARD DURING THE NEXT 72 HR ", and goes on to say later in the discussion: "THE OFFICIAL FORECAST REMAINS CLOSE TO THE MODEL CONSENSUS...CALLING FOR
LANDFALL IN SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA IN 48-60 HR."

Does this not seem contradictory, or at least signal a lack of confidence in the forecast track?? I mean, if the turn is going to take place sometime in the next 72 hours, how can landfall be in 48-60 hours at a point that required the turn?

NHC has been amazingly "on" this year, and this is probably just some "averaging" issue I don't understand, but I would appreciate a clue as to how these two statements can both be true.

Thanks!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center