Brad in Miami
(Storm Tracker)
Fri Nov 18 2005 01:24 AM
Recon & Wilma

Yeah, the number of poles down is certainly interesting. I suspect it's a combination of things: the area affected was, of course, much larger than Andrew; many trees downed poles; I doubt the rating is entirely accurate as to every pole, and there certainly were gusts over 100 mph in a huge area; even if the rating were initially accurate, factors Margie suggested, as well as degredation of the poles themselves over time, could lead to a lower windspeed rating; and finally, I suspect there were areas that received gusts at, near, or slightly above 119 mph, which would be consistent with 95-100 mph sustained winds - i.e., high-end cat 1 or low-end cat 2.

And then of course, I could be wrong and there could've been sustained winds that high. Who knows.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center