vineyardsaker
(Weather Guru)
Thu Jun 22 2006 09:25 PM
Attachment
Charley revisited

Hi,

I took a look at the various pictures available on the interner of past hurricanes and I came across this one:

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/images/hurr-charley-montage.jpg (also attached to this post)

Did you notice that Charley seems to cross the entire Florida peninsula as a Cat.4?!

I always suspected that Charley simply *could* not weaken much due to its very fast forward motion and this data, if correct, seems to suspect my impression.

I live in New Smyrna Beach were a lot of people suspected that Charley's left-side eyewall passed over our houses as a Cat 2 if not Cat 3. On this picture, it seems that Charley drops from Cat 4 to Cat 1 almost immediately somwhere between (this is my best guess) Lake Ashby - Samsula - Port Orange. Would this not suggest that it did probably pass with Cat 2-3 winds over New Smyrna?

Many thanks for any pointers,

VS

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center