dem05
(User)
Thu Jun 22 2006 11:40 PM
Re: Charley revisited

Well, I can definately understand your statements about Charley (although, I was living in Tallahassee at the time Charley hit). With that said, the picture you saw was misleading, it is based on advisory to advisory intensities and doesn't show the weakening transition. All data and wind measurements confirmed that Charley was a Category 3 in Hardee county and steadily weakened to a Cat 1 before reaching the East Coast.
I'd like to share the official survey of maximum winds in MPH with you: http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/Storm_pages/charley2004/charley_flswath_mph.pdf
From a personal standpoint, I can understand why the folks of New Symerna may have felt the winds were stronger that they actually were. After Charley, I have been through 6 Hurricane in my work. At first, I overestimated what the winds were like on the basis that I had never seen winds that strong before. It is quite easy to have the sensation they are much stronger, when one had not seen something that strong or had not been around it in a long time. To that end, winds to category 1 strength had not been experienced in that part of the state in a long, long time.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center