dem05
(User)
Tue Apr 03 2007 07:18 AM
Re: African Dust - good/bad?

In general, I have to go with Clark with this one. Recently, I revisited a video composed by Mr.McElroy of Charley's before, during and after of Hurricane Charley in Charlotte County. For those who still have it, you will notice in the satellite intro of Charley. In it, you will see this hurricane while it was a TD out by the Windwards. At that time, it had a large plume of dust just ahead (just to the west) and to the north of it. Charley slowly and steadly intensified in the Carribean, but became a monster in the Gulf...under a different set of dynamics. Last years SAL project by the Verdes was interesting to hear about. I haven't seen the results, but I'd propose funding for this research during neutral El Nino conditions and La Nina conditions to get a better picture of dust influence. Finally, I think we will need to rely on our meteorological researchers to make the relationships between this dust and the other overall weather patterns. If you have been tracking and researching hurricanes as long as I, you will know that there is no one true smoking gun...In reading the forecasts for next season, you will also not that nobdy mentions dust, but they all back their forcasts heavily on one indicator or another...It is further proof that this science has further to grow.

In the mean time, hope all is well and everyone is considering their seasonal preparednes plan. It doeslooklike a lengthy season at this point.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center