Robert A
(Verified CFHC User)
Thu Apr 26 2007 03:43 AM
Re: Time to start those preparations!

I have two lists, one for home & one for my office. Each list gives a month-by-month--for all 12 months of the year--of things to be done that particular month.

Portable generators, for instance, need to be run UNDER LOAD about once each month (permanent/standby generators are normally set to cycle/test on/off each week or each month). This is obviously more crucial for businesses, but if you have a portable generator at home, either test it/run it monthly, or use it for other purposes, which accomplishes the same thing as "testing". They also need oil-level checks, oil/oil filter/air filter/spark plug changes. And unless you run it periodically, you NEED fuel stabilizer in the tank (emptying the tank isn't as good a practice as you are lead to believe).

At the office we give away unused food to food banks and/or social-/religious-service organizations each November, which helps them stock for the holidays. We use a water cooler at the office, but at home we cycle that water out in November (plants, wash cars, etc.).

I have plywood labelled for location, which end is up/out/etc., and I seal/coat it before I put it away. I just put batteries into normal household use, and buy new ones the following March or April.

Unused gas goes in cars/tools/lawnmowers.

It really is a year-round activity. Hurricanes are NOT the only calamity that can befall us, as recent ice storms, snow storms, freezes, tornadoes, floods, etc., bear out.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center