Lamar-Plant City
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Aug 16 2008 08:38 PM
Re: Storm Prep Advice

Just to keep in perspective, I live just outside of Tampa and went through Jeanne and Frances. I helped my mom and dad after Charley which went directly over them, causing $80,000 damage to their house and property. I am monitoring the storm closely, both on my own and through the experts here (part of using this site wisely is know just WHO the experts are and who to ignore). I just went out and bought 2x8 packs of D batteries (we were almost out), a pack of AAAs (WERE out) and a new battery powered flourescent lamp since our good one died last year. I DID also make sure my gas tank was nearly full and filled up all of my small cans that would be used for the generator (and the mower if not that). My wife got a FEW hurricane-type food supplies, but nothing that we won't use anyways the next couple of weeks. We have 6-8 water jugs that we can fill if need be. Nothing to panic about, but just doing a few things so that there would be less to do and I can concentrate on those if this thing turns ugly. I know that if things go bad, I can put up my plywood in less than 3 hours (put in panel-mates 2 years ago), and that we are NOT in an evacuation zone, so I would be best riding out just about anything (my house is CBS and the roof is only 2 years old). I have a generator sufficient to power necessities, a chainsaw that was just overhauled, and a full propane tank for my outdoor grill. Hope these ideas help......

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center