LoisCane
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Sun Aug 24 2008 01:53 PM
Re: Inland Intensification of Tropical Cyclones

After tracking Danny all the way across the SE and back into water I've learned never to write off a storm once it has hit land.

In Fay's case she may move back over water again but for now the big story remains all the water she is dumping on the Deep South.

Wanted to add also that interaction with land does not always kill off a Tropical Cyclone and Georges was another system that had a penchant for hitting land and kept going. He hit every piece of land he could and was still viable
when he bashed his way through Key West and the Lower Keys.

It's wrong to simply say Haiti will tear apart a storm or that once over land with weak steering currents a storm will be gone.

Personally, I think Fay will fade away and dump legendary amounts of rainfall over the SE.

But, she should be a big lesson on this problem. And, I believe traveling across South Florida didn't do much to
break up Betsy or Andrew as they both barreled on towards landfall in Louisiana. In fact if I remember on the news they kept mentioning how if anything Betsy was still intensifying while her northern half was over South Florida. I could be wrong but there was discussion even then how South Florida's flat landscape and the Everglades does nothing to interfere too much with intensity after the initial landfall. And, the Yucatan is another flat spot where storms don't break up the moment they hit land.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center