KC
(Weather Hobbyist)
Tue Sep 02 2008 11:30 PM
Re: Storm conveyor belt

Nervous Dad - I sure understand your name. I've lived in Florida 9.5 years and this is definitely "active". I can remember 2004 being pretty crazy and having to convince my new neighbor that it wasn't always like this.

You didn't mention where your daughter is working on Sanibel. My first job after my relocation from PA was as HR Manager for a large resort company with 7 properties on Sanibel. I can tell you that hurricane planning is really serious business there. As you probably know, Sanibel is a barrier island. The bridge will close when winds reach a certain level. They would evacuate the entire island if something was headed their way. Sanibel had a nasty encounter with Hurricane Charley 4 years ago. That's not meant to scare you but to let you know that they have upped the ante even more since that experience.

Your daughter's employer probably has a hurricane plan. It might also make you feel better if you visit the City of Sanibel's website at www.mysanibel.com.

Sanibel is a real jewel and one of my favorite places. Hope your daughter has a great experience and that you are able to visit. We all hope that we will soon see the tropics calm down quickly.

Karen

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center