Lamar-Plant City
(Storm Tracker)
Fri May 28 2010 04:13 AM
Re: How far inland to reduce damage ?

I will second Ed on this one. My parents thought that eastern Polk County (just north of Lake Wales) was far enough inland that Charlie wouldn't have much left when it got there. In fact that was what the NHC was predicting....that it would be down to 100mph or less by the time it got to them. What they got was the full force of 130-135 mph winds whipping across their lake and into their house. Over $80,000 of rebuilding later, they know they aren't safe in almost the dead center of the state. That said, I wouldn't leave my C/B/S home that is 15 miles east of Tampa (and out of all potential flood zones) as there aren't many places you could get to that would be any safer in a big storm.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center