Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Sep 15 2003 07:53 PM
Very Strange!

It all comes down to MONEY!!!
The government doesn't have any, and a storm of this size
will cost the state and the federal gov. tons of money.
I put nothing past this miserble Admin, they have done a fine job running America's name and stability into the dirt.
I don't trust ANY of them!, the difference between Europe and the US is, when the Europeans are over it they take to streets and DEMAND satisfaction. Most of us don't have the time or can't be bothered.
And if not DYNO-gel, or some other agent than what??
Why does the storm look so ragged in the last 12 hours?

LI Phil
(User)
Mon Sep 15 2003 07:57 PM
Re: Very Strange!

Whoa, Mr. Wizard, what's with the conspiracy theories? Doesn't belong on this board. My comment was tongue-in-cheek -- don't take offense. BUT, if the gov't could control the weather, don't you think they'd a sent one into Fidel's compound? And don't tick of Mother Nature. We haven't heard from her in a while.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Sep 15 2003 07:58 PM

hmm maybe you should contact art bell (artbell.com)
it does kinds look like grassy knoll or something ??

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Sep 15 2003 08:01 PM

LOL Phil,

I'm cool. I pick up the paper, or watch CNN and get all worked up.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Sep 15 2003 08:01 PM

Maybe the aliens from area 51 in rosewell flew into the bermuda triangle and blew up Isabel at the direction of sadam and osama. The problem with a conspiracy theory is you have to prove it saying I don't trust anyone or anything is possible doesn't cut it (all you weather experts remember the scientific method don't you?) This post courtesy of the lochness monster.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Sep 15 2003 08:03 PM

If you look closely, it's still a pretty healthy hurricane.
We were used to seeing a totally classic Cat 5 for several days so anything less looks really puny. However,
She is still spinning pretty good.

Her color is returning.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Sep 15 2003 08:05 PM

Let's just not scare anyone needlessly......................lol

ShawnS
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Sep 15 2003 08:14 PM
Make Up Your Mind!

I read all these posts about hoping Izzy would just fade out or make a huge NE turn and she has starting to do that (the fading part anyway) and it almost sounds like now there is some anger over it.Who really cares what has made her this way. Let's just be glad it has happened and hope it continues.

LI Phil
(User)
Mon Sep 15 2003 08:18 PM
Re: Make Up Your Mind!

Shawn: I'm quite happy IF she is really fading away. And, yes it does look that way. My only concern is if she is in still very warm water and in a favorable environment there exists at least the potential to reintensify. About that, I'm not happy. At this point I'll be grateful for some moderate TS winds and some heavy rain, rather than the possible alternative, which is a considerably stronger storm. If she just fades away...even better!

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Sep 15 2003 08:23 PM

She sure is impressive no matter what she is doing now. The warmer water does concern me..................let's just keep our level of caution up.

anyone seen or heard from JoeJax?

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Sep 15 2003 08:26 PM

Actually though, seems like she's beginning to go into an intensification again. Check the Dvorak loops. Drifting NNW.

Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 15 2003 08:34 PM

What's causing Isabel to look so ragged is the dry air encroaching upon her from the west, not Dynagel or the administration or anything else. Besides, this isn't a forum to discuss your political beliefs anyway.

LI Phil...at the 3:50pm update I turned from FNC to TWC only to get Cheryl Lemke. Knowing I wouldn't get anything new out of her, I turned it back to Shepard Smith (who would be here with us if he could---he's a hurricane freak, too) and KAZAAM! There was Dr. Steve Lyons on with Shepard. His prediction for the 5pm update? CAT3, NNW motion .

Watching Shepard and Dr. Lyons interact with each other was kinda like watching the Tortoise and the Hare.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Sep 15 2003 08:42 PM

What's dynagen?

LI Phil
(User)
Mon Sep 15 2003 08:45 PM

Thanks for the update, Colleen. No cable tv where I'm at, so won't get my TWC fix till 6:30ish. Funny how you sorta dissed Cheryl Lemke--how the mighty have fallen. Usta be on right before and right after Heather & Marshall with Rick Griffin. Now she gets afternoons and weekends. FNC=Fox News? Think Mr. Wizard watches the fair and balanced channel?

Back on topic, you said Lyons had her as a CAT 3 at landfall...where might that be and did he give a future track after landfall? Thanks. Guess the 5:00 is out by now.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Sep 15 2003 08:52 PM

<<Why does the storm look so ragged in the last 12 hours?>>

How many intense storms over history that have taken this path, have maintained their Cat. 3+ status? To me, this seems very normal, for a storm that turned north at this location. Floyd also weakened considerably after it made that north turn, as have many other hurricanes.

I'm just kind of annoyed that some people are going to think that Cat. 2 Isabel is anywhere near Cat. 5 Isabel, in terms of destructive capability. For crying out loud, there are Seminole chickee huts that can withstand a Cat. 2. I was in Pinecrest for Andrew. Unless I lived very close to some body of water, I certainly wouldn't worry about Isabel in her weakened state. Yet if it approaches the Mid-Atlantic, the mass media is going to play the typical ratings/scare game, even if it's down to a 75mph hurricane by then.

stormchazer
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Sep 15 2003 08:58 PM

I know we are all enthralled with Isabel and rightly so, but has anyone notice that conglomeration in the far western GOM?

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Sep 15 2003 09:04 PM
norcross and philly keeps calling me

Says surf will be very strong in Bahamas and surf in Palm Beach should be strong tomorrow...

Says track right now would be Cape Hatteras but slightest variation makes it Maryland or New Jersey.. ok no great hidden knowledge here... Water pouring in and up Cheasapeake Bay... Ewww not telling my daughter about his graphics for Philly/PA.

Daughter in Philly keeps calling...they have flood watches for the current rain from Henri remnants..

Amazing how we still can't pinpoint ..and might not be able to for days.. he exact angle of approach of Isabel.

Just so true... if it comes in at 11 angle or 11:15 or 11:30 or.. each slight variation puts whole new large metro areas into danger.

mbfly
(Weather Guru)
Mon Sep 15 2003 09:21 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth Stormchazer. I was going to ask the same thing, but you beat me to it. Does it look like anything is going to develop there ??

Storm Cooper
(User)
Mon Sep 15 2003 09:30 PM

Pressures are still pretty high.

ShawnS
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Sep 15 2003 09:32 PM
GOM

Nothing to worry about in the western gulf. It's just a bunch of clouds with no organization to it. Atmosphere is not condusive for development anyway. More than likely will slowly die off the next day or so.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Sep 15 2003 09:32 PM

Last year, Hurricane Lilly dropped from top winds of 145mph to 90mph within the last 12 hours before landfall, so a sudden weakening is not unprecedented.

LI Phil
(User)
Mon Sep 15 2003 09:41 PM

Yes, Lili's sudden drop from a CAT 4 to a weak 2 was very fortunate. But wasn't that in the GOM? I would think those warm waters would have supported the much stronger storm. Plus, no land mass to take away strength. Lets hope that happens in the Atlantic.

LI Phil
(User)
Mon Sep 15 2003 09:45 PM

Stormchazer & MBFly: the 5:30 TWO:

"An area of widespread cloudiness along with scattered showers and thunderstorms is located over the western Gulf of Mexico. This weather system is primarily associated with a weak surface trough...and upper-level winds are currently unfavorable for any significant development to occur."

Ricreig
(User)
Mon Sep 15 2003 10:21 PM

In reply to:

Who really cares what has made her this way. Let's just be glad it has happened and hope it continues

The biggest reason for caring is that if we care, we will seek to understand, and with understanding comes the potential to forecast better and potentially save lives in the future.

The anger you allude to is not likely due to disappointment that it isn't going to hit Florida (or any other specific spot), but that it is so rare to see such perfection (even in a storm) that is a bit of a letdown to see it disintegrate. At the same time, I'd bet money that virtually all of those that are 'angry' are also relieved that it isn't a) coming where they are, or b) won't be a cat5 when it does get where they are.

Hurric
(Weather Guru)
Mon Sep 15 2003 10:23 PM

I just saw a local news story about a woman who was so upset yesterday that her husband of 51 years wanted to watch football instead of putting up hurricane shutters that she took an eight inch kitchen knife to him. He is in hospital with a cut artery in his leg and she is in jail. They had no previous record of violence.
Amazing the way some people overeact to rumers. Humm I wonder if this is the first injury attributed to Isabel. Probably not, I'd bet someone in the islands has drowned from high surf by now.
Hurric

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Sep 15 2003 11:25 PM

I like Cheryl Lemke as she has a gentle and calm demeanor. Some of us gravitate towards those that are less abrasive. In a time like this, it is nice to have someone on tv with a pleasant and even speaking voice................

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Sep 15 2003 11:27 PM

I don't find the dissing very funny at all.....................It is a shame many on here think it is amusing...............

LI Phil
(User)
Mon Sep 15 2003 11:32 PM

Sue,

I may not always agree with Colleen, but when it comes to the cast of characters at TWC, she's always spot on. Cheyrl Lemke may be calm and reassuring, but she's not exactly going to Cantore or Bastardi lengths to enhance a forecast. I'll hazard a guess that she greatly prefers Jon Meis to Jon Scala too. And Dr. Lyons is no John Hope (then again, few are).

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Sep 15 2003 11:40 PM
TWC John Hope

Ahhh
A tip of the hat to John Hope.
Remember when the networks used to do live feeds from the NHC in Miami?

LI Phil
(User)
Mon Sep 15 2003 11:46 PM
TWC Tonight

(and, NO I don't work for them ) If anyone still has that Hurricane Jones, at 8:00 tonight, TWC is broadcasting footage/interviews of survivors/recaps, etc. of the '28 Hurricane which, I believe, had its eyes on Miami. I sure hope come Thurs/Fri, no one is seeing effects like that one.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center