MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Sat Jun 11 2005 12:14 AM
Arlene Likely to Become a Minimal Hurricane Tonight

11PM Update
No Hurricane tonight, but it has the potential during the early morning to strengthen. Hopefully it will get more disorganized and not make that.

Skeetobite's Maps: Hurricane Warning Area and Forecast Track:

Regardless, there is now a Hurricane Warning from Pascagoula, Mississippi east toward Destin. Expect Category 1 hurricane strength within 24 hours in that location..

Original Update
Tropical Storm Arlene is gaining some organization tonight. And likely may be named the first Hurricane of the 2005 season. The latest Aircraft Recon Report has the windspeed a bit up and may indicate it may reach hurricane strength later tonight.

We'll be watching it closely, of course, as Hurricane Watches and tropical storm warnings are up along the northern gulf coast, from Mississippi to the Florida Panhandle. Folks further east along the Florida coast will want to watch this one as well in case the center reforms closer to the western florida coastline. Still the latest track trends toward the Florida Panhandle, and is the most likely location.

More to come. See updates from Clark Evans and Jason Kelley below. I

Event Related Links

Northwest Florida Long Range Radar Loop

Key West long range radar loop
Tallahassee, FL long range radar loop
Tampa Long Range Radar loop

Color Sat of Arlene

Animated model plots for Arlene
Electronic Map Wall (PSU)
Caribbean Island Weather Reports

WeatherNLU
(Meteorologist)
Sat Jun 11 2005 12:41 AM
Re: Arlene Likely to Become a Minimal Hurricane Tonight

Nealy half a degree west in the last three hours, that's the most definitive movement west since this thing began. Let's see if that becomes a trend.

hurricane_run
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Jun 11 2005 12:43 AM

looks like Arlene will be the first hurricane of the atlantic season

mbfly
(Weather Guru)
Sat Jun 11 2005 12:44 AM

Is there ANY chance still of Arlene going west of Mobile, or does it definitely look like a FL panhandle strike now

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sat Jun 11 2005 12:44 AM

She appears to be moving NNW to NW on latest sat pics. I still believe she will land at the MS/AL border. Looking now for a moderate cat 1.

kelcot
(Weather Guru)
Sat Jun 11 2005 12:51 AM

That should make things very interesting for me here in PCB

Storm Cooper
(User)
Sat Jun 11 2005 12:51 AM

mbfly.. I think the Mobile area may be back in the picture, just have to wait for the next adv. I also guess I possibly lost my bet that she would not make Cat I. Have a feeling she will at the next adv.

hurricane_run
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Jun 11 2005 12:52 AM

I concur

HCW
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Jun 11 2005 12:52 AM

MS/AL line 80-85 looks like a good bet right now . Where shoud I set up ? Does anyone know where Jeff Gamons will be ?

leetdan
(Weather Guru)
Sat Jun 11 2005 12:54 AM

hay what's going on in this atlantic hurricane season?

Anyways we had some fairly stiff winds today (coastal Palm Beach County), and to be honest the steady southerly wind and rain reminded me a lot of Charley passing to the west last year. Fortunately we missed the heavier bands that moved through Miami-Dade and Broward earlier today.

Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Sat Jun 11 2005 12:54 AM

Haven't been able to post much because my Mom, sister and two nieces are here. We haven't gotten much rain here in Lakeland. Should we be expecting some rain later on or are the rain bands too far off the coast? It doesn't seem like we're going to get much rain based on the radar loops...unless there's more to the south that are going to hit us later. Are we out of the woods with the rainfall?

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sat Jun 11 2005 12:56 AM

Is that an Eye feature starting to form?

LI Phil
(User)
Sat Jun 11 2005 12:58 AM

Quote:

I also guess I possibly lost my bet that she would not make Cat I.

who's yer bet with...it better not be jason cuz then he's hedgin' his bets...i bet him a buck it would become a cane...

Storm Cooper
(User)
Sat Jun 11 2005 01:01 AM

I guess I may have blown it. Now just tell me where she will go

LI Phil
(User)
Sat Jun 11 2005 01:12 AM

it will go right towards cantore...maybe you can make a little road trip to p-cola and get us some video...especially JC's hotel room...

stay safe coop...watch out for tornados...maybe you can hang at wjhg and see one live!

Keith234
(Storm Chaser)
Sat Jun 11 2005 01:17 AM

Since it's getting dark it's quite hard to see, but if you stare really closely yes some type of depression in the CDO is starting to form ( http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GIFS/HUVS.JPG ). I digress. The storm is still very much un-organized, with still a dry slot pushing ne into the sw corner of the storm ( http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GIFS/HUWV.JPG ) .
But a large 500 mb ridge dominates the GOM providing quite good coniditions for the storm to develop. That spike of 30 + C waters leading to the mouth of the mississippi (probably due to eutrophication) might pull the storm to the west more then the models anticipate. Just a hypothesis.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sat Jun 11 2005 01:21 AM

looks like this one will become a hurricane.... mod cat 1 to maybe even a cat 2? Anyone agree? [/list]

Jeffmidtown
(Weather Guru)
Sat Jun 11 2005 01:22 AM

Here in Atlanta, it looks like the mets are hedging their bets and downplaying this as a minor rain event here in Atlanta, But my gut feeling tells me that we may get some significant rain out of this somewhere between 3-6" before it's all said and done. We'll see how they play it when the 11pm comes out.....

LI Phil
(User)
Sat Jun 11 2005 01:24 AM

>>> You know it's a bad day.....when you wake up and see Jim Cantore broadcasting from your backyard....literally!

especially if he's staying in your hotel

HCW
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Jun 11 2005 01:29 AM

Hurricane Warning will be issued at 10pm . Best guess would be Biloxi to Panama City .

that would be 10 PM CDT/11PM EDT

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sat Jun 11 2005 01:30 AM

does everyone think that people are taking this storm as serious as they should?

Keith234
(Storm Chaser)
Sat Jun 11 2005 01:31 AM

Quote:

Here in Atlanta, it looks like the mets are hedging their bets and downplaying this as a minor rain event here in Atlanta, But my gut feeling tells me that we may get some significant rain out of this somewhere between 3-6" before it's all said and done. We'll see how they play it when the 11pm comes out.....

I agree, 3 to 6 " of rain is not that big of deal compared to 10" to 15" of rain that could fall. That seems like quite of a risk TWC is taking. Tropical storms notoriously drop more rain then hurricanes.

Storm Cooper
(User)
Sat Jun 11 2005 01:32 AM

I am sure you are correct with that.

LI Phil
(User)
Sat Jun 11 2005 01:38 AM
TWC Arlene Coverage

Living up on LI, I don't get the local coverage you guys get, so i'm basically reduced to TWC for my tv info...the imminent Dr. Steve Lyons just came on and announced that Arlene "will not be another ivan". i'm so glad we have him around because otherwise us yankees would be in the dark...

on another note, TWC just mentioned that they are going to be reporting on a home that was constructed just because of hurricanes...dome home maybe? that would be a cool segment...

Prospero
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Jun 11 2005 01:39 AM

Looks like we are in for some heavy rain here in Sun City Center within the next hour or so.
As fast as it is moving I'd say some wind too.

Keith234
(Storm Chaser)
Sat Jun 11 2005 01:39 AM

I have a feeling this storm's not going to make a complete landfall, instead going to partially ride the coast around the periphery of the GOM ridge. Much like Allison only in the other direction.

mbfly
(Weather Guru)
Sat Jun 11 2005 01:40 AM

Quote:

does everyone think that people are taking this storm as serious as they should?

Most of the people I know here were NOT ! I think a lot of people are going to be caught by surprise because they were blowing this off (pun intended) I guess it's too late now to say I was thinking cat 1 all along, but I'm still hopin' for east of Mobile (sorry p'cola !)

Keith234
(Storm Chaser)
Sat Jun 11 2005 01:43 AM
OT

Quote:

Living up on LI, I don't get the local coverage you guys get, so i'm basically reduced to TWC for my tv info...the imminent Dr. Steve Lyons just came on and announced that Arlene "will not be another ivan". i'm so glad we have him around because otherwise us yankees would be in the dark...

on another note, TWC just mentioned that they are going to be reporting on a home that was constructed just because of hurricanes...dome home maybe? that would be a cool segment...

I would bet you a dollar hand if I was a betting man that the newspapers up on LI will say tomorrow on the front cover that this a bad omen for us.

Jamiewx
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Jun 11 2005 02:14 AM
Tornado Watch

Weather Radio (or batphone as Colleen called it last year) just went off, Tornado watch has been issued for most of the west central Florida coastal counties, however it does strech in as far as Polk and Sumter counties. In effect until 8am, thanks to Arlene and her associated convection.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sat Jun 11 2005 02:18 AM
Re: Tornado Watch

center very evident on PCB radar. Due south of PCB now.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sat Jun 11 2005 02:30 AM
Re: OT

Quote:

Quote:

I would bet you a dollar hand if I was a betting man that the newspapers up on LI will say tomorrow on the front cover that this a bad omen for us.

do you mean that even long island will get some heavy rain..bevuase thats where-I-be..haha thanks

long island is not the greatest place to be a weather fanatic huh?

hey any of you think theres a chance for long island to get a hurricane or T.S this season..please let me know

..ryan

livin' the long island life....

Londovir
(Weather Guru)
Sat Jun 11 2005 02:44 AM
Re: OT

Don't know anything about LI, but I noted on the news just a few minutes ago that doppler is picking up some telltale rotations offshore to the south of Naples heading northward at a fair clip, possible indication of tornadic activity. Going to be quite a fun night in S and W Central Florida.

Yay...

HanKFranK
(User)
Sat Jun 11 2005 02:45 AM
slow pitch

arlene has really been playing softball with us all along. tightly clustered model runs during its entire life, intensity not far out of the realm of expectations... forward speed has been more or less what the nhc called for also (maybe slower than forecast at first, but arlene picked up the slack today). it's still got that lopsided profile that rabbit and others were progging, and it doesn't seem to be shaking it. the upper limit of intensity for storms like that was probably well represented by earl in 1998... an atypical cat 2 that came in as a 1. arlene is more than likely coming in as a one.. maybe even at perdido key like i was reckoning (knock on wood, hombres). weather will all be over in places like.. oh, escambia, santa rosa, okaloosa counties.. walton, bay.. damn i know those counties almost by heart. inland south alabama.. it's coming fast enough that towns like brewton, atmore, monroeville... probably a breezy afternoon and evening. probably lots of severe weather as it goes north and weakens.. it will get to fairly high latitude with a good bit of its upper circulation intact (ohio, indiana, etc).. bank right.. dump good rains even though it's really trucking.. and i'm betting some severe weather as the upper winds get stronger out of the west and all that deep tropical moisture is charging north. sunday and monday should feature more arlene inspired severe weather, which the hpc will document (and the weather channel will credit to the 'remnants of arlene'). you guys know the drill.
pretty much everybody got arlene right, 'cause arlene hasn't been playing games with us. middle of the plate, up in the zone, not too much heat.. yeah, this one's almost out of the park. 'course, you folks in pensacola (or poor rickonboat, regretting his newfound ability to have his predictions come at least partially true).. probably don't see it my lackadaiscal way. at least it's only june.. a similar storm in august would have nobody close to amused.
prolly crack hurricane by daybreak officially (some recon obs suggest it already passed the threshhold).. so whoever has the closest date to june 10th/11th for first hurricane gets the trophy. way to guess. beat me by a mostly month.. er 4 weeks.
droop, haul out the camera, and drop us some scans if you can shoot anything worthwhile tomorrow.
later y'all.
HF 0344z11june

mbfly
(Weather Guru)
Sat Jun 11 2005 02:45 AM

Is the convection dying down as it appears to be ? Does this mean it is weakening or just that it will die down some at night and flare back up again in the a.m. ?? And, I still don't see that much of a west movement...... looks like it's still going pretty north to me.

Heather
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sat Jun 11 2005 02:53 AM

Quote:

Is the convection dying down as it appears to be ? Does this mean it is weakening or just that it will die down some at night and flare back up again in the a.m. ?? And, I still don't see that much of a west movement...... looks like it's still going pretty north to me.

North with a hint of west, maybe...

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Sat Jun 11 2005 02:55 AM
Re: slow pitch

HF hit the nail on the head with it all. Closest prediction, first storm or hurricane, that I could gleam from the list was the birthday boy, Keith234, who called first storm on June 10th.

11pm is coming out now...hurricane warning from Pascagoula to Destin; pressure 989mb, winds still 70mph but projected to 75mph at landfall.

Jamiewx
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Jun 11 2005 02:55 AM
Arlene a Tropical Storm still

still a TS at 11

LI Phil
(User)
Sat Jun 11 2005 02:56 AM

Quote:

so whoever has the closest date to june 10th/11th for first hurricane gets the trophy.
HF 0344z11june

well the 11 is out and arlene is still a TS...birthday boy keith came ever so close to nailing the EXACT date (assuming she is upgraded at some point tomorrow)

so my bet with jason is still in play....he's drawing blind and holding a pair of bullets, not knowing i already hold a flush... but he could still bluff me out of the pot on the river

thought FER SHER they'd make her cane arlene...

HCW
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Jun 11 2005 02:57 AM

HURRICANE WARNING PASCAGOULA MS TO DESTIN FL

javlin
(Weather Master)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:05 AM
Re: I see a Trend

The storm I think has finally found the ridge the cor.for the day go
24N 84.9W
>1.0 >.1
25N 85W
>.7 >.2
25.7N 85.2W
>.7 >.4
26.4N 85.6W
>.7 >.5
27.1N 86.1W

wxman007
(Meteorologist)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:08 AM

Quote:

so my bet with jason is still in play....he's drawing blind and holding a pair of bullets, not knowing i already hold a flush... but he could still bluff me out of the pot on the river

thought FER SHER they'd make her cane arlene...

Little did you know that I invested heavily in Dynagel...we are seeding as we speak....LOL (just kidding)

FlaMommy
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:09 AM

ok im a dummy...i accidently deleted my post instead of reposting it...anyways was wondering if any tornadic activity around the riverview area....thanks

i just missed the first storm date....june 17th...

Londovir
(Weather Guru)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:11 AM

As far as I saw on the news with Paul Delegato on Fox13, no, don't believe so...there's a heavy squal line offshore to the south of Naples, from what he showed on the tv. VIPER showed some suspicious rotation markers in the wind fields that they were keeping an eye on, but the majority of that stuff was offshore and moving towards Naples.

I got the impression it's just going to be a long night of lots of wind, rain, and prolly some good lightning shows to boot.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:11 AM

JK...I am back leaning toward a Mobile landfall. What is your current thinking. Also, think again that she may strengthen a little more than expected.

Littlebit
(Weather Watcher)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:14 AM

I haven't heard of any tornadic activity either. Here in Plant City we're getting some decent wind gusts and a little rain off and on, but that's about it so far.

RedingtonBeachGuy
(Moderator)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:18 AM

Quote:

Little did you know that I invested heavily in Dynagel...we are seeding as we speak....LOL (just kidding)

My Mr. Sandman company is doing quite well. We run to areas that are going to be affected by the storm and makeup sandbags on the spot for homeowners charging $4 a bag (automated - tie and all). I can roll out 1,100 an hour with 4 men. The reponse has been overwhelming but I have only done it part-time. Maybe this would be a good year to go full-time, huh? LOL

Terra
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:18 AM
IR

Check it out... in the last frames of the IR it looks like Arlene lost a bit of her tail... it's now spinning off in the penisula of Florida!

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-ir4-loop.html

FlaMommy
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:21 AM

thanks you guys...we havent had much wind gusts surprisingly....but thank you again...glad to know we are in clear as of now

Heather
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:26 AM

Weather is changing ever so slightly here, it was so still, now a bit breezy. Looks like some band or something is just entering my county.

That must be the "tail" slamming into Naples.

Littlebit
(Weather Watcher)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:26 AM

We're under a tornado watch until 8:00am. Flood watch also.

wxman007
(Meteorologist)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:27 AM

My forecast, and forecast reasoning is unchanged...still sticking to a Mobile-ish landfall tomorrow as a strong TS.

Stewart wrote a very good disco tonight, BTW...everyone should check it out...

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:28 AM

Check out the newest discussion in the 11pm advisory. West-northwest movement of possible new center.

FlaMommy
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:30 AM

ok a little off topic once again...but...when do u think the next storm will be?...any guesses?

Londovir
(Weather Guru)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:31 AM

Which brings up an interesting point...it wouldn't take much westward drift to the forecast track to take it towards New Orleans...where even a TS would be a bad thing indeed...

I seriously doubt it will move more west, but given the wobbles that Stewart alluded to, I wouldn't let my guard down either, even if they aren't in the cone of doom right now.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:33 AM

Remember what Georges did in 1998. It was heading straight for New Orleans and made a wobble due north and stayed on that path.

Rabbit
(Weather Master)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:34 AM

what little upper-level support Arlene had an hour ago has completely collapsed and the convection is now rapidly weakening

Arlene has peaked, and i think it will hit with 60-65 mph winds

Arlene will not make it to hurricane intensity

JustMe
(Weather Guru)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:35 AM

north west movement is nice
why are they evacuating Mississippi coast?

stay safe everyone

LI Phil
(User)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:36 AM

Quote:

ok a little off topic once again...but...when do u think the next storm will be?...any guesses?

lets get thru arlene (there are still a LARGE number of people YET to be affected by her)...

bret will come...but we will deal with that when the time comes...for now...

arlene remains our focus

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:37 AM

Last one before heading out: 11p discussion by Stacy Stewart is a good read. Check it out on the NHC's page. Somewhere around Pensacola still looks good in my bet. The center is visible on Tallahassee and Northwest Florida long-range radar. I recommend using the new RIDGE radar displays, at:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/tlh_long.html and
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/evx_long.html

When you look at a static image, you can click on a location on the coast and then move your mouse to the center of the storm. The distance finder at the bottom will tell you how far the center is from the coast on-the-fly, a pretty handy tool. For instance: the radar tells me the center is 175mi south of Destin right now and 185mi south-southeast of Pensacola.

Anyway, what I wanted to point out is that despite the recent convective trends on satellite, the IR imagery is hinting at the eye feature becoming better defined. It is visible at least half-way on the aforementioned radars, the locations of which match the satellite image well. The dry air to the south will remain present to too large of a degree to allow for a significant intensification of the system as a whole (or of anything on the south side of the storm), but cat. 1 intensity at landfall is well within the realm of possibility.

High-resolution SST imagery available at: http://fermi.jhuapl.edu/avhrr/gm/averages/05jun/gm_05jun10_0256_multi.png shows that the convective weakening trend is likely due to the end of the diurnal minimum cycle plus the cooler SSTs over the south end of Apalachee Bay. Some of the warmest waters in the Gulf lie ahead of the storm south of Pensacola. This westward jog doesn't help things. The fast forward motion means that it may not be all that significant, but with the diurnal convective maximum cycle to come over the next 8-12hr plus the move into SSTs that are about 3-5 deg warmer than where the storm is now, it is something to take note of during the overnight.

The storm will likely start to affect the Panhandle with some stronger rain bands in the next few hours; already regions from Panama City to Tallahassee are seeing more of the rain bands that characterized the day on Friday. It's all downhill for those locations for the next 12-18hr, to improve late night Saturday. Rainfall amounts should still be in the 3-5" range, with some locally heavy amounts. Further down the state, one of the feeder bands from Arlene is stretched along the coast from Tampa to the Keys, with the band along the coast responsible for some special marine warnings. Isolated waterspouts and weak tornadoes are possible through the overnight hours with this band. Areas in the vicinity of this band may see a couple of inches of rain before all is said and done as well.

Those of you between Pascagoula and Destin...hunker down. The worst is still yet to come...

LI Phil
(User)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:38 AM

>>> Arlene will not make it to hurricane intensity

dammit rabbit...don't start bringing out your evil hex when i'm "this close" to winning a buck from a real met...

if i lose this bet, there will be rabbit stew along with my usual crow...

Droop31
(Weather Watcher)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:40 AM

Rabbit, remember what just about every TS does during the evening? They normally settle down and come morning, they usually burst, and I have a feeling that may happen. Sorta like Barry if ya'll remember him?

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:40 AM

Rabbit -- not necessarily. For the reasons I outlined in my previous post, the convection hit the cooler waters of southern Apalachee Bay at the right time -- the diurnal convective minimum -- to result in the pattern we've seen. It happened last night, too. There's plenty of time for things to recover: it only takes one hour, really. Upper level conditions are still diffluent (winds moving in different directions over a horizontal area), favorable for convection, and the warmest waters are still yet to come as the storm makes its final approach to landfall. I'm not saying it won't weaken, but I don't think you can make such a statement yet, especially considering the steadily falling pressure over the past 6hr despite the weakening convective trend over the past 2-3hr.

FlaMommy
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

lets get thru arlene (there are still a LARGE number of people YET to be affected by her)...

bret will come...but we will deal with that when the time comes...for now...

arlene remains our focus

well thank you for answering me, but it was merely an honest/curious question...sorry to go off topic

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:42 AM
Long Island?

so i guess this is a bad time to ask if a long island landfalling hurricane is a possibilty(any expertise or meteroroligist know any info.)

information is greatly appreciated.

Ryan

HanKFranK
(User)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:43 AM
varmint voodoo

aaack! rabbit you always start putting nails in the coffin while they're still thrashing. course you could be right, but you're almost like the opposite of cat 5 rick.
HF 0441z11june

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:44 AM
Re: Long Island?

Ryan -- a landfall is a possibility this year, just like it is in any year. No one can say where a storm may or may not hit 3 days before landfall, yet alone at the start of the season. The climatological odds are all you can go off of right now.

HanKFranK
(User)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:45 AM
long island

if anybody here has the clairvoyance to tell ryan when long island gets its next hurricane, could they tell me who wins the NL East this year? i'm just dying to know.
dude, nobody knows. it's like asking how many days you have to stand on the golf course before thunderstorm lightning kills you.
HF 0444z11june

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:45 AM

clark- is fsu taking the DOW on the road? or do they still have it?

LI Phil
(User)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:51 AM
Re: long island

>>> if anybody here has the clairvoyance to tell ryan when long island gets its next hurricane, could they tell me who wins the NL East this year?

braves hf...same as every damn year...

as far as LI...we're "due"...but then, like about 3 others said, we're "always due". basically we operate in 20-30 year cycles, but that's just an average...we can get 3-4 cat I-II-IIIs in a 10 year period than none for 50 years...

if you're really interested (but not tonight) PM me and i will hook you up with an amazing history of LI canes...we do get 'em, just not that often

they are sort of like a horror movie monster, those braves.. soon as you think they're finally dead they show back up with a vengeance. 'course, the NL east has five teams that can win it this year. no guarantees. -HF

MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Sat Jun 11 2005 03:51 AM

Wow I jumped the gun putting up the hurricanely likely headline title. Now it's a crapshoot for tomorrow. If I wake up tomorrow and Arlene is still a storm, I'll be happy that I'm wrong. In this case I hope I am wrong.

Thanks all. I redid the about page somewhat and stuck a new photo of me up there. Tomorrow I'm off to go talk to Skeetobite in person (He's in Orlando tomorrow)

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Sat Jun 11 2005 04:04 AM

The DOW is still in the shop. I imagine it will be for the foreseeable future; it's essentially sunk costs right now (thankfully most everything, including labor, was donated, but it's still amounted to a whole lot of nothing). Too many structural & engineering problems with the truck and technology.

If we had the money -- which we probably do, but probably wouldn't spend it -- it'd be worth just getting a new radar truck of our own and turning it over to the new faculty who can actually use it. But, I digress; that's getting away from the topic at hand.

HanKFranK
(User)
Sat Jun 11 2005 04:09 AM
arlene's last mile

i don't think anybody's gonna throw rotten vegetables at you, mike. if arlene doesn't make the cut, you/me/most of the mets, even the nhc forecast team this evening were duped. 'sides, its arguable that arlene did make the cut. they usually use a 10% reduction factor to sfc winds (but i can't remember if that's the 850mb level or what). well either way it's REALLY close (989mb is more often associated with hurricanes than tropical storms). of course, i might have to bow before the almighty rabbit for making fudds out of us (sucker costs me a fortune in blossomed shotgun barrels).
HF 0508z11june

LI Phil
(User)
Sat Jun 11 2005 04:16 AM
the dreaded varmint voodoo hex

>>> of course, i might have to bow before the almighty rabbit for making fudds out of us (sucker costs me a fortune in blossomed shotgun barrels).

no way...well...ok maybe way...the varmint starts pulling the dreaded voodoo hex out-the-hat in my 11th hour....

duck season..wabbit season..duck season...wabbit season

ah crap...

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sat Jun 11 2005 04:30 AM
Re: the dreaded varmint voodoo hex

Evening all. Someone seems to have put a hex on Arlene.
Have to call her a hybrid of the third kind.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sat Jun 11 2005 04:41 AM
Re: 10 PM Discussion and Radar

Have any of you read the 10 Pm discussion?
HF, I read your take on the landfall, and I'll second that. Long range radar is looking more to the NW or WNW. Still waiting on a radar update.
And along that line. The EVX Long Range radar is painting a pretty good picture of Arlene at this time.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p38cr/si.kevx.shtml
This just in from NOAA3.
NOAA3 0701A ARLENE OB 11
MAX FLT LVL WIND 71KTS NE QUAD 0214Z

That was the bottom part of the Vortex report at 0435Z

Rabbit
(Weather Master)
Sat Jun 11 2005 04:46 AM

A) recon report-does that mean Arlene is a hurricane at 2am?

B) is that an eye forming on radar?

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sat Jun 11 2005 04:54 AM

Not until NHC declares her a Hurricane. I misread your post. That declaration would be at 50/ 50 right now.
I'm not sure about the eye on radar either. My eyes tell me it's a definite center...but to far out to call.
NOAA3 is recovering to their base right now...so no data for the time being. I'll update this post with the next recon time if available.

I didn't intend to detract from what the NHC is saying. Just that analysis of the radar and aircraft data indicates Arlene is not dead yet.

Droop31
(Weather Watcher)
Sat Jun 11 2005 05:50 AM

Have to agree with you Danielw, even though she doesnt look that great right now on IR, its a normal process with these Tropical Storms. If she decides to give us one last burst this morning, things could get crankin. I guess we'll see in a few hours. Looks like the outer bands of Arlene should be getting here soon. Night ya'll.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sat Jun 11 2005 05:56 AM
Re: Arlene

Recon is airborne. We should have some idea of what, if anything is going on in and around Arlene shortly

Storm Hunter
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Sat Jun 11 2005 05:56 AM

here in pcb, on beach, winds have picked up....moderate to heavy rain with gusts, wind i say 20mph or so....gust to 25-30...pres. 1007mb got radar GRlevel 3 up....on elgin center appears to be on a more wnw course than NW, as i write center is 110 miles from the house...if kept path per radar, landfall mobile, east side of mobile... looks like in the next hour or two, some cells may come ashore in gulf, bay, franklin counties that bare watching......looks impressive for a weak one-sided storm she is.....

HCW
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Jun 11 2005 05:58 AM

NW movt at the 2am adv . This thing is going to hit us after all

Frank P
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Sat Jun 11 2005 05:58 AM
moving NW

Arlene has moved NW during the past 3 hours per the 1:00 am update

Storm Hunter
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Sat Jun 11 2005 06:01 AM
Re: moving NW

turn on lat lon and loop image

Frank P
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Sat Jun 11 2005 06:06 AM

looking at that pix doesn't the center look a lot farther north than the 27.5N as given by the NHC?

mojorox
(Weather Watcher)
Sat Jun 11 2005 06:11 AM

I just have a bad feeling about New Orleans....

Frank P
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Sat Jun 11 2005 06:15 AM

I just can's see it getting to the Big Easy but if it did that would make a lot of people look really really silly.... wonder if the warnings will shift left at 4:00 am... the NW motion was not projected by the NHC at any time.... and it went more west than north in the past three hours... maybe it will revert to a more north than west in the next three

Storm Hunter
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Sat Jun 11 2005 06:21 AM

per elgin radar.......most cells in storm...some on the outerwall are around 25ft high....yet to find anything higher...also curious why there is no tornado watch yet for the panhandle....almost certain at 4adv there will be one....also winds have picked up just a little...rain is heavier to now...love the sound of the wind!!!!

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sat Jun 11 2005 06:22 AM

This storm is sick...No convection and the convection it did have over its northeastern quad has faded. It is a bunch of Cirus or Stratus clouds. I say it is no more then 50 knots at most. Tropical storm Bill of 2003 looked a million times better.

In believe it or not the first recon found that it was cold core. I would not be at all suprized if this was subtropical. The name Arlene will be just like Grace...Both sorry examples of tropical cyclones.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sat Jun 11 2005 06:23 AM

Quote:

turn on lat lon and loop image

Thanks, that's a really good tool.
I checked the reporting stations about an hour ago, from AQQ-Appalachicola to KBVE- Boothville, LA
Boothville was 1mb or so lower than any of the MS,AL,FL stations. With New Orlens right in a tight group with Destin and Pensacola.
In other words...she might drift toward the region of lowest surface pressure too!.
I 'll have to check SPC for the upper air pressures.
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/s3/index2.html

Storm Hunter
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Sat Jun 11 2005 06:33 AM

well folks off to bed.....going to be a long morning...expect landfall after noon as a ts...60-70mph....her chances of cat 1 are fading

went surfing this evening not good, but better than nuthin 3-5ft...ne winds though....water was very warm...say around 80 or so.....for surfers check out reports for pcb at www.mrsurfs.com ....updated 3 times a day with pics

also when using the ridge web site be sure to hit refresh on your browser to keep up to date images.....

WMBB 13 is doing cuttins ever 30 mins and WJHG 7 is doing hourly

Rabbit
(Weather Master)
Sat Jun 11 2005 06:40 AM

latest recon report has winds down to 55-60 mph and 993 mb pressure

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sat Jun 11 2005 07:12 AM

RIP Arlene you will be lucky to make landfall as a tropical storm at this rate.

berrywr
(Weather Analyst)
Sat Jun 11 2005 07:36 AM
11/0745Z - Arlene Update - MS/LA landfall?

I posted earlier about a MCC moving due W. I think Arlene has finally gotten herself together and the little clear dot just to the east of the MCC appears to be what some might consider an "eye" or the latest in new centers. Last couple of frames on satellite show her consolidating around this fix and a general movement to the NW. I think NHC will have to consider moving watches & warnings westward. I wish I had looked at this sooner, but if everybody looks at the 500mb UAA and the 11/06Z RUC, you'll note a COL to the storms NW and WNW. Why I didn't think of that earlier, I don't know. I am on record for a AL/FL landfall and I'm eating milkbone biscuits today! I think most of felt that what appeared to be a CDO twice yesterday would be the main center; it is, but not at the surface. GFS depicts this quite well in the mid levels. It wasn't until 90 minutes ago, I felt this way. But when that MCC fired up, time to rethink that NW movement NHC depicted. I'd kill to have their satellite links!!!

Rabbit
(Weather Master)
Sat Jun 11 2005 07:40 AM
just when you think its going one way...

the convection, or whats left of it, has wrapped all the way around the west edge and the center has moved back underneath, so it is *POSSIBLE* that it could still strengthen a bit today

IR image

radar
there also still seems to be a well-defined center, and what may possibly be the beginnings of a northern eyewall trying to form

Hurricane Fredrick 1979
(Weather Guru)
Sat Jun 11 2005 07:59 AM

Where did you get the recon info from?

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sat Jun 11 2005 08:11 AM
Re:Don't let your Guard Down Yet!

NHC website...under Aircraft recon on the left side.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/reconlist.shtml
Latest report showing she is still Alive.

URNT11 KNHC 110757
97779 07204 70294 85019 15400 13065 14149 /2463
RMK AF305 0901A ARLENE OB 06

29.4 85.0 location of report only!
154 dkm above surface (5051ft )
13065 wind 130deg SE at 65kts
1414 Temp 14C dew point 14C (relative humidity near 100%-rain)

The winds at 5051ft will reduce to a lower speed at the surface. NHC/TPC has a formula for this, but I'm not sure what it is. I would think that 75% of the 65kts would be a safe reduction to the surface.
That would be around 49kts or 57 mph at the surface...this is My guess. You'll have to wait on NHC to give a statement to get their actual surface wind speed.
Arlene is a strange storm and I'm not sure how they are able to keep up with her ramblings and vortices.

Hurricane Fredrick 1979
(Weather Guru)
Sat Jun 11 2005 08:36 AM

Quote:

NHC website...under Aircraft recon on the left side.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/reconlist.shtml
Latest report showing she is still Alive.

URNT11 KNHC 110757
97779 07204 70294 85019 15400 13065 14149 /2463
RMK AF305 0901A ARLENE OB 06

29.4 85.0 location of report only!
154 dkm above surface (5051ft )
13065 wind 130deg SE at 65kts
1414 Temp 14C dew point 14C (relative humidity near 100%-rain)

The winds at 5051ft will reduce to a lower speed at the surface. NHC/TPC has a formula for this, but I'm not sure what it is. I would think that 75% of the 65kts would be a safe reduction to the surface.
That would be around 49kts or 57 mph at the surface...this is My guess. You'll have to wait on NHC to give a statement to get their actual surface wind speed.
Arlene is a strange storm and I'm not sure how they are able to keep up with her ramblings and vortices.

Got that right. I'm doing good to keep up with just the path But it did go down from 70mph to about 60 right? I look for it to regain strength if this did happen. The water temp there is about 85 deg.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sat Jun 11 2005 08:46 AM

Recon reports aren't usually useful to upgrade or downgrade the storm. They are more of a position report for the aircraft and crew.
They normally fly a fixed pattern, and their reported winds will vary greatly. Even over 5 miles!
The new NHC Advisory should be out soon and the will let everyone know what Arlene is doing. At least what they and the computers think she is doing.

I was looking at some of the High Density observations from NOAA earlier and the wind speeds would vary as much as 15 kts over 6 miles. Windspeed woud drop off a few kts and then a few more miles it would either increase about 15 kts or continue to drop.
If you do a search on Hurricane Research Division, they have some wonderful graphics from past Hurricanes. You can get an idea of what they are gathering as they fly. It will give you a different dimension to look at.
The upper structure of the storm in relation to, what you already know or see, the surface region of the storm.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sat Jun 11 2005 08:53 AM
Re:5 AM Advisory

Please use this link for the full 5 AM Advisory. Or you may scroll up on the left side of the page and use that link.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT1+shtml/110836.shtml

James88
(Weather Master)
Sat Jun 11 2005 09:25 AM

Looks like there is now a convective burst going on rather close to the centre.

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Sat Jun 11 2005 09:42 AM

We've got a little bit of a quandry on our hands this morning. The convective trends of last night continued into the early morning hours -- oh, about 3a ET -- but what that did allow was for the center to move into the midst of what convection remained. Now, nearing the diurnal convective maximum and the warmest waters in the Gulf, Arlene is making a fairly nice recovery, with a CDO-pulse feature near and over the center of circulation. Recon pressure is 991mb and the overall intensity of the storm is essentially the same as its peak intensity from yesterday -- pressure only up 2mb and 850mb height only up 10 meters from 1349m to 1359m (850mb height gives you an indication of the intensity of the storm: the lower the 850mb height, the deeper the storm). Danny, I will have to disagree with you on the recon/intensity question...one of the biggest reasons we have recon is because those wind/height relationships and satellite estimates don't always work very well.

Nevertheless, shear isn't increasing all that much and there appears to be convective support around much of the storm. As called for last night, Arlene has the potential to become a hurricane before landfall, aided by the new convection and very warm SSTs over its path. Landfall is imminent within the next 12hr at or perhaps just slightly above its current intensity -- though as with many tropical cyclones, the strongest winds will ONLY be felt offshore, at the immediate coast, and in downbursts associated with heavy rain inland -- somewhere in the Mobile, AL area.

recmod
(Weather Guru)
Sat Jun 11 2005 10:14 AM
Affects In Central Florida

I awoke at 5am this morning to pounding rain and very gusty winds. Those who know me from last season may remember that I live about 20 miles North of Orlando in Central FL. That "tail" of convection that some were talking about in last night's posts has worked its way right over my area. I stepped outside this morning to a scene eerily reminiscent of the storms of last year....albeit on a somewhat smaller scale. We now have tornado watches issued for virtually the entire peninsula, effective at 5am until 5pm EDT this evening. One tornado warning has already been issued at 445am for a doppler-indicated tornado in Brevard County. Regardless of whether Arlene makes the cut and upgrades to a hurricane, this storm has a wide reach of nasty weather.

Just a footnote....should the storm make the upgrade, this would be HURRICANE #1 that impacted Florida so far in the very early days of the 2005 season.... To those who poo-pooed the idea that there was no way that Florida could possibly experience a hurricane season remotely close to last year, I say....watch out. The season is young and we already have one under our belt.

--Lou

LadyStorm
(Weather Guru)
Sat Jun 11 2005 10:21 AM

From what I read at the 5 am discussion from the NWS there appears to be 2 different senarios:
THERE SEEM TO BE TWO POSSIBILITIES FOR THE INTENSITY BEFORE
LANDFALL. THE FIRST IS THAT A NEW CONVECTIVE BURST DEVELOPS DURING
THE UPCOMING DIURNAL MAXIMUM...AND ARLENE MAKES ANOTHER ATTEMPT TO
BECOME A HURRICANE. THE INTENSITY FORECAST WILL FOLLOW THIS
POSSIBILITY. HOWEVER...THE SECOND POSSIBILITY IS THAT THE ABUNDANT
DRY AIR SEEN IN WATER VAPOR IMAGERY NEAR ARLENE HAS BEEN ENTRAINED
INTO THE STORM AND WILL SUPPRESS CONVECTION DURING THE REMAINING
TIME BEFORE LANDFALL. IF THAT HAPPENS...ARLENE MAY WELL WEAKEN
BEFORE LANDFALL. IT WILL LIKELY TAKE ONE MORE FORECAST CYCLE
BEFORE IT BECOMES CLEAR WHICH POSSIBILITY IS OCCURRING.

THERE IS A DISTINCT POSSIBILITY THAT ARLENE WILL NOT BECOME A
HURRICANE. HOWEVER...THE HURRICANE WARNING FOR THE NORTHERN GULF
COAST WILL REMAIN IN EFFECT UNTIL IT BECOMES CLEAR THAT THIS WILL
NOT HAPPEN.

I guess we just wait and see.

MaryAnn

recmod
(Weather Guru)
Sat Jun 11 2005 10:21 AM
An Eyewall Forming??

Look at the current long-range radar loop from Northwest Florida:

Radar

You can clearly see the storm's center and what appears to be an eyewall of heavy convective cells forming on the west side of the "eye-like structure". The distance from the radar site makes the south side of the storm look a bit "skinny".

--Lou

wxornot
(Registered User)
Sat Jun 11 2005 11:25 AM
Re: An Eyewall Forming??

Good Morning all,
It appears that Arlene is moving a bit more to the West than previously anticipated by most. A definate rain maker for the entire NorthEastern Gulfcoast.

If she does become a hurricane, it looks like it won't be a Florida landfalling hurricane. So, we've dodged another one in the Sunshine State !!

I'll probably be eating a lot of crow sandwiches this season but I think last year was a fluke and it's back to "normal" this year.

On the other hand, should a reapeat of last season take place, I'm prepared.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sat Jun 11 2005 11:33 AM

Not to be the one who doesn't live in the moment, but according to the GFS model, another system is predicted to develope around Jamiaca and move into the bahamas, as it looks right now.

GuppieGrouper
(Weather Master)
Sat Jun 11 2005 11:42 AM

You know that even if Florida stays wet all summer long with these little systems just below hurricane strength, that will be much better than one of those we had last year. So maybe the soothsayers can all be correct and they get their numbers but no disasters.

FlaMommy
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Jun 11 2005 11:47 AM

hey there orlando can u send me a link of the gfs model for that storm that is possible for development?...thanks

Keith234
(Storm Chaser)
Sat Jun 11 2005 11:49 AM

Yes, the area to the east of the Leeward islands is large trof, harboring some upper level related convection. That is often a common spot for trof's to hang out, and really prevents any GOM action, and encourages homegrown trouble. I believe last year Hermine and Gaston formed from decoupled disturbances.

Arlene by the next advisory should become a hurricane. As Clark has said, a burst of convection has appeared in the center, and the system appears to be trying to close it's SW quad. with clouds. Mobile should is getting a taste of Arlene as we speak. A nasty feeder band is plowing through. The center happens to be offshore and appears to be moving more west. As I said last night, I don't this is just going to make one landfall, it's going to scrape the coast.

Clark- It does look like I may win the contest, to make light on this.

FlaMommy
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Jun 11 2005 11:52 AM

yes way to go on predicting first named storm..as u can see mine was the 17th...ooooooh so close....

LI Phil
(User)
Sat Jun 11 2005 12:05 PM
Arlene at 8:00

Well...the intermediate advisory is out, and of course, the keep arlene as a strong TS...

[/ MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS REMAIN NEAR 70 MPH...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. THERE IS STILL POTENTIAL FOR ARLENE TO BECOME A HURRICANE BEFORE LANDFALL. [color]

she is clearly visible on radar now, and at times it appears she is tightening up and her convection is wrapping around her center, trying to form a defined eyewall...

it will be a very close call as to whether NHC bumps her up to a cane at 11...while i don't wish this upon those affected, it would win me a bet and make keith234 the "winner" of the "first named hurricane" portion of the 2005 contest...

except for a very small and concentrated area, winds should not really be a problem for most...but this is a huge rainmaker for many, there will be some beach erosion, and of course there is always the possibility of spontaneous tornadoes in arlene's outer bands

as was noted earlier, some of the models are already hinting at future development off the East Coast, so once arlene landfalls and spreads her tropical moisture up the east coast, we'll need to keep an eye trained to our east

to all in arlene's path: be safe and try to stay dry!

Storm Cooper
(User)
Sat Jun 11 2005 12:28 PM
Re: Arlene at 8:00

Let's get past this and then we can look down the road...

http://tcweb.fnmoc.navy.mil/tc-bin/tc_home.cgi

rmbjoe1954
(Weather Master)
Sat Jun 11 2005 01:30 PM
Re: Arlene at 8:00

I am hopeful all we Floridians get this season are strong TS's impacting our weather. Arlene will be history soon and will go down as a very strong tropical storm. We need to watch out for the next system as this season seems to want to be as memorable as last year; hopefully in the number of named systems and not for the power of these systems.

Cheers all!

h2ocean
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sat Jun 11 2005 01:47 PM

Here is a link to the latest GFS - 5 days out. A few of the other models also support this. They have it moving north, then NE. Wow, 1.49 inches of rain since midnight here and more to come!

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/carib/gfs/06/images/gfs_ten_120l.gif

HCW
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Jun 11 2005 01:53 PM

2.01 since 8pm last night just south of Mobile

Storm Cooper
(User)
Sat Jun 11 2005 02:17 PM

There is a new thread next door so move on over

berrywr
(Weather Analyst)
Sat Jun 11 2005 02:20 PM
11/1415Z - Arlene Update

It appears Arlene is just about out of time and water and just when she finally got her "center" together. Earlier this morning, a burst of convection imminated out of her old "main" center and moved due west and with this burst; the new center took hold and held and is now the only one depicted on satellite; FINALLY! Since I last looked at satellite; she appears to have resumed her 350 degree movmt as she approaches MS-AL border. Minimum cat 1 is still plausible. Does anyone remember the last time NWSFO Birmingham issued an Inland Tropical Storm Warning for it's entire CWA? Unless the criteria changed, last year's edition were simply High Wind Watches and Warnings; not Tropical, except closer to the coast and they were coordinated with NWSFO Mobile-Pensacola. Big area they issued it for and big time inland away from the storm!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center