F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

Off-Topic >> Everything and Nothing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Cane Addict
Unregistered

Re: Very Strange!
      #12755 - Mon Sep 15 2003 09:32 PM

Last year, Hurricane Lilly dropped from top winds of 145mph to 90mph within the last 12 hours before landfall, so a sudden weakening is not unprecedented.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
      #12756 - Mon Sep 15 2003 09:41 PM

Yes, Lili's sudden drop from a CAT 4 to a weak 2 was very fortunate. But wasn't that in the GOM? I would think those warm waters would have supported the much stronger storm. Plus, no land mass to take away strength. Lets hope that happens in the Atlantic.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

LI Phil
User

Reged:
      #12757 - Mon Sep 15 2003 09:45 PM

Stormchazer & MBFly: the 5:30 TWO:

"An area of widespread cloudiness along with scattered showers and thunderstorms is located over the western Gulf of Mexico. This weather system is primarily associated with a weak surface trough...and upper-level winds are currently unfavorable for any significant development to occur."

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Make Up Your Mind!
      #12758 - Mon Sep 15 2003 10:21 PM

In reply to:

Who really cares what has made her this way. Let's just be glad it has happened and hope it continues

The biggest reason for caring is that if we care, we will seek to understand, and with understanding comes the potential to forecast better and potentially save lives in the future.

The anger you allude to is not likely due to disappointment that it isn't going to hit Florida (or any other specific spot), but that it is so rare to see such perfection (even in a storm) that is a bit of a letdown to see it disintegrate. At the same time, I'd bet money that virtually all of those that are 'angry' are also relieved that it isn't a) coming where they are, or b) won't be a cat5 when it does get where they are.

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

Hurric
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Port St. Lucie, Fl
      #12759 - Mon Sep 15 2003 10:23 PM

I just saw a local news story about a woman who was so upset yesterday that her husband of 51 years wanted to watch football instead of putting up hurricane shutters that she took an eight inch kitchen knife to him. He is in hospital with a cut artery in his leg and she is in jail. They had no previous record of violence.
Amazing the way some people overeact to rumers. Humm I wonder if this is the first injury attributed to Isabel. Probably not, I'd bet someone in the islands has drowned from high surf by now.
Hurric

SandiaFlower
Unregistered

#12763 - Mon Sep 15 2003 11:25 PM

I like Cheryl Lemke as she has a gentle and calm demeanor. Some of us gravitate towards those that are less abrasive. In a time like this, it is nice to have someone on tv with a pleasant and even speaking voice................

SandiaFlower
Unregistered

#12764 - Mon Sep 15 2003 11:27 PM

I don't find the dissing very funny at all.....................It is a shame many on here think it is amusing...............

LI Phil
User

Reged:
      #12766 - Mon Sep 15 2003 11:32 PM

Sue,

I may not always agree with Colleen, but when it comes to the cast of characters at TWC, she's always spot on. Cheyrl Lemke may be calm and reassuring, but she's not exactly going to Cantore or Bastardi lengths to enhance a forecast. I'll hazard a guess that she greatly prefers Jon Meis to Jon Scala too. And Dr. Lyons is no John Hope (then again, few are).

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Wxwatcher2
Unregistered

TWC John Hope
      #12769 - Mon Sep 15 2003 11:40 PM

Ahhh
A tip of the hat to John Hope.
Remember when the networks used to do live feeds from the NHC in Miami?

LI Phil
User

Reged:
TWC Tonight
      #12770 - Mon Sep 15 2003 11:46 PM

(and, NO I don't work for them ) If anyone still has that Hurricane Jones, at 8:00 tonight, TWC is broadcasting footage/interviews of survivors/recaps, etc. of the '28 Hurricane which, I believe, had its eyes on Miami. I sure hope come Thurs/Fri, no one is seeing effects like that one.

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9247

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center