F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: stuff
      #2168 - Mon Aug 26 2002 11:39 AM

I agree...really amazing. The 3:30AM MWD gives some hints at what can happen this week:

EXTENDED OUTLOOK...
THE MRF MODEL STRENGTHENS THE UPPER RIDGE OVER THE ATLC WHILE
SHIFTING IT WESTWARD THROUGH THE OUTLOOK PERIOD. THIS HAS THE
TENDENCY TO SHOVE THE INLAND UPPER TROUGH FURTHER W TO THE
CENTRAL GULF. THIS IS NOT A PATTERN WE WANT TO SEE SET UP GOING
INTO THE HEART OF THE HURRICANE SEASON. AND AS IF ON CUE..THE
AVN MODEL BEGINS TO SHOW WAVES BECOMING MORE ENERGETIC THROUGH
THE PERIOD.

If nothing happens during the next few days, I guess we'll start to wonder if This season will fall short of Gray's numbers!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Puerto Rico
The decisive moment is now
      #2169 - Mon Aug 26 2002 12:47 PM

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/ir_anim_monthly.html

All is falling into place for the waves to begin to organize and the MJO is one of them as shown in the link.The wet phase is now in the atlantic as shown by the green lines and that combined with the pattern setup of the atlantic ridge and the less subsidence in the atlantic so now let's wait to see if the peak of the season will bring the usual systems at this time or atlantic will continue quiet.

But I see a definite pattern change and will will see developments very soon as some models are showing.

--------------------
My 2004 hurricane season forecast=13/8/3

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: stuff
      #2170 - Mon Aug 26 2002 12:51 PM

What discussion is MWD?? Can't find that one. Steve H.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 10 Years Ago... Andrew
      #2171 - Mon Aug 26 2002 01:14 PM

mwd site: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/MIAMIMATS_text.html

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 10 Years Ago... Andrew
      #2172 - Mon Aug 26 2002 02:37 PM

Thanks!! So the pattern is setting up. Should be an interesting few weeks ahead. Bahamas look slightly intersting this morning as Convection is building there. In the near-term a disturbance north of PR still has my interest as I see some low-level turning. Cheers!!

Anonymous (HF)
Unregistered

add a 4th
      #2173 - Mon Aug 26 2002 03:42 PM

last night trouble areas were SE coast, 45w wave, SW caribbean. add another.. the wave passing 60w. it's still under the TUTT jet, but has a decent mid level signature and should eventually move out from under the shear and begin to slow down near the bahamas later this week.
with MJO apparently having flipped, all of the central and eastern pacific activity should correllate with altantic activity before the week is out.
and as bastardi has been saying.. the ridge position has us in a strike pattern.
coastal low near nc associated with the upper feature over the southeast is probably the most immediate development candidate.. though not necessarily tropical. will see.
HF 1540z26august

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: add a 4th
      #2174 - Mon Aug 26 2002 03:55 PM

Yes HF, that one I said earlier that was North of PR. Actually it's east NE of there, passing by 60W. Gotta like its appearance as it will be our first candidate in the shoot. Cheers!! Steve H.

Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Add a 5th
      #2175 - Mon Aug 26 2002 04:18 PM

The north GOM has a surface trough and if it hangs out there it may spin something.

--------------------

MoparMitch440
Unregistered

#2176 - Mon Aug 26 2002 04:28 PM

Water vapor does not look kind to anything in the ITCZ (2:45 - 11:45 UTC). Everything looks way south, the furtherest south i have seen in years. Furthermore, westerly shear is in high gear off the south/central coast of central america pushing anything west if not WNW. Lastly, if anything should form, the trough off the east coast will move it well east of the CDN maritimes. So, I say nothing for at least 1 week. See how these factors change in the short term.

squirralee
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Mims, Florida
      #2177 - Mon Aug 26 2002 05:17 PM

Okay, what is TUTT

garyb
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Hernando Beach,Fl
tutt
      #2178 - Mon Aug 26 2002 05:53 PM

Subject: A9) What is a "TUTT"?
Fitzpatrick et al. 1995
A "TUTT" is a Tropical Upper Tropospheric Trough. A TUTT low is a TUTT that has completely cut-off. TUTT lows are more commonly known in the Western Hemisphere as an "upper cold low". TUTTs are different than mid-latitude troughs in that they are maintained by subsidence warming near the tropopause which balances radiational cooling. TUTTs are important for tropical cyclone forecasting as they can force large amounts of harmful vertical wind shear over tropical disturbances and tropical cyclones. There are also suggestions that TUTTs can assist tropical cyclone genesis and intensification by providing additional forced ascent near the storm center and/or by allowing for an efficient outflow channel in the upper troposphere. For a more detailed discussion on TUTTs see the article by Fitzpatrick et al. (1995).

squirralee
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Mims, Florida
Re: tutt
      #2179 - Mon Aug 26 2002 07:56 PM

Thank you kind person

Alex k
Unregistered

just another blow up
      #2180 - Mon Aug 26 2002 10:25 PM

Impressive looking area of convection in the extreme southwest Caribbean. However, I see no signs of a circulation and I say almost 10 to 1 that it will die out.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Off Africa
      #2183 - Tue Aug 27 2002 02:24 PM

First really decent looking system off Africa...

IHS,

Bill

Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Off Africa
      #2184 - Tue Aug 27 2002 03:27 PM

I agree that it looks the most decent one this year but will it survive is the question.As we know all the waves have fizzeled out as soon they had hit the water so let's see what this one does in the comming days.But as I have said I see developments more west and not so far east and that is west of 50w.

--------------------

Anonymous
Unregistered

#2185 - Tue Aug 27 2002 03:59 PM

Wave Off AFrica looking like it wants to start wrapping up, as convection looks plentiful and some evidence of tumbling. Of immediate concern is the area at 63W/23N which has convection building up nicely now. But will they develop? If this particular disturbance decides to develop, it could threaten Florida or enter into the GOM thru the Straits on the weekend. Things SEEM to be picking up. Cheers!! Steve H.

Anonymous (HF)
Unregistered

Re: just another blow up
      #2186 - Tue Aug 27 2002 04:03 PM

still reforming in SW carib. but yeah.. synoptic conditions usually not right to get something to develop down there, as it would probably be inland in central america in no time.
have to see what comes together east of florida, near the bahamas later this week. thats IF the convection will stay out of the shear. east atlantic looks typically weak. it's always june out there this year. ITCZ too far south, jet ripping up whatever peeks across 10N.
mcc running southeastward into east texas.. weakening as time goes by. have to see what makes it into the gulf.
convection is more active in the basin thanks to MJO. now see if the shear will quit ripping it all up. kind of ridiculous that nothing has formed yet since august 15.
HF 1558z27august

Eduardo
Unregistered

#2187 - Tue Aug 27 2002 06:50 PM

It looks clear to me that there is a sheering enviroment very close to the possible disturbance located 23N/63W. What changes in the atmosphere would allow this system to possibly escape too much sheer and head into the bahamas, florida straits region? I appreciate the help!

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: EC Florida
Finally, we have a nice candidate for some development.
      #2188 - Tue Aug 27 2002 08:20 PM

There is a strong tropical wave that has moved off of Africa today and is GAINING convevtion OVER WATER. The system looks like it has a rotation just on satellite imagery. Nearly all of the models have picked up on this system, but they dissipate it as it nears the islands. *IF* it develops, it should strengthen as it nears the islands as models normally do dissipate new systems after 72 hours (specifically systems that haven't been classified). Also, as the wave moves west it appears that the upper-levels will become increasingly favorable for development. If this wave holds on or improve for the next 24-36 hours, expect some development. An invest could go up soon. Chance of development: 4/10

There is also a tropical wave near 64W and 20N. Slow development is possible as upper-level conditions become more favorable this week. Chance of development: 2/10.

Kevin

Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Finally, we have a nice candidate for some development.
      #2189 - Tue Aug 27 2002 08:27 PM

Agree Kevin this wave has a nice signature and plenty of convection and if it holds up it may develop.Conditions are improving in the tropical atlantic and the shear as models are saying will fade away in 72 hours west of 50w so this one has the best shot for development this season.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8772

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center