F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
CFHCAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: East Central Florida
Tropical Storm Edouard Wednesday
      #2683 - Wed Sep 04 2002 12:34 PM

This will be updated during the day as more information on Edouard is made available.
Noon Update

Minimal Tropical Storm Edouard has been drifting west southwest over the past couple of hours, however, high pressure aloft over the eastern Gulf has been building eastward during the night and should change the movement of Edouard to a more southwesterly direction.
This will place the center of the storm north of the Cape near Daytona Beach later this evening.
Some additional intensification is likely before landfall, so Edouard should retain its Tropical Storm status.
The Position at 11am was near 30Nand 80W.
Most of the rain and stronger wind associated with this system are located to the east and south of the center, and northwesterly upper level wind shear continues to disrupt the cyclone. Late this evening into Thursday, west to northwest winds will approach tropical storm force along the coast.
Squalls with heavy downpours are likely to start as early as this afternoon, becoming more frequent tonight and Thursday along the central and north Florida coast. The National Hurricane Center has issued a Tropical Storm Warning from Titusville northward along the Florida coast and a Tropical Storm Watch from Titusville southward to Sebastian Inlet.

The storm in the northern gulf is coming together, but the situation with Edouard and the rest makes any real forecasting a nightmare still for a bit longer.

Noon update special thanks to Ed Dunham.

8:30 AM Update

Edouard weakened quite a bit yesterday and much of the convection was sheared off to the east, but this morning it appears that it may be refiring a bit. I think it'll maintain itself as a tropical storm for a while longer. Rain from the storm is being felt along the coastal edge of Volusia now. But the storm itself is still offshore about 80 miles slowly moving. The last public advisory from the NHC stated the windspeed at 40MPH, but new Aircraft Recon reports that occured after the advisory now show it at 50MPH.

The fact that it is over extremely warm water has kept the system from outright dying because of the massive amount of shear it has been receiving. This storm is a survivor, any chance to strengthen it can get, it will take. However, there will not be that many chances for it io do so. I expect it to weaken again later in the day... but maintain itself as a tropical storm.

If the official track holds it'll reach the coast in the overnight hours tonight, and the rain will occur mostly on the eastern side of the system. (This all could change however....) Plenty of folks around the St. Johns really don't need the rain.

Updates will occur today here as needed.

Outside of Edouard, the system in the east atlantic is getting some shear that will keep its developmental possibilities in check for a while (although there is a wave over africa now that may slide out fairly strong later).

Also the Northern gulf is active, but still nothing at the surface. This is one to watch as well, but it still will take a while. Once this does get going, however...

NRL Monterey Marine Meteorology Division Forecast Track of Active Systems (Good Forecast Track Graphic and Satellite Photos)

NASA GHCC Interactive Satellite images at:
North Atlantic Visible (Daytime Only), Infrared, Water Vapor

Some forecast models:
NGM, AVN, MRF, ETA ECMWF

DoD Weather Models (NOGAPS, AVN, MRF)
AVN, ECMWF, GFDL, MM5, NOGAPS, UKMET

Other commentary at Mike Anderson's East Coast Tropical Weather Center, Accuweather's Joe Bastardi, Hurricane City, Gary Gray's Millennium Weather, Barometer Bob's Hurricane Hollow, Snonut, Ed Dunham and Jason M in our Storm Forum Even more on the links page.

- [mike@flhurricane.com]

Edited by MikeC (Wed Sep 04 2002 04:13 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ShawnS
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pearland,Tx
GOM
      #2684 - Wed Sep 04 2002 12:40 PM

Anyone see a chance of anything developing from the stuff in the northwest gulf? I've been trying to see if there is a motion out of it but it looks like it is stationary. I know the focus is on Eddie right now, but this activity in the gulf could really spring up on us in a hurry. I'm not saying it will, but every time I look at a new sat. pic. it looks more impressive.

PFSThunder
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Charleston, SC
Morning Burst
      #2685 - Wed Sep 04 2002 12:53 PM

Looking at the long range radar out of Melbourne, it looks like the center is wrapping tightly west of St Augustine. Last night the signature was wider, now the bandsfeeding the system are closer together. Something to be watched. Weather service being very careful with any changes to the forecast.

--------------------
Go Boilermakers

squirralee
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Mims, Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Edouard Wednesday
      #2687 - Wed Sep 04 2002 01:01 PM

Okay am I crazy or is the GFDL trying to put another tropical system off the coast of Brevard after Ed goes over the state.

http://www.essc.psu.edu/rhart-cgi-bin/gfdltc2.cgi?time=2002090406-edouard05l&field=Sea+Level+Pressure&hour=Animation

Jax Chris
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Re: Morning Burst
      #2688 - Wed Sep 04 2002 01:32 PM

I've always liked the central pressure for a predictor of how the intensity of a storm is going to go. The lower the pressure, the more rapidly the storm's moving air up its core, and so the more rapidly air has to flow into the storm to replace that air. Yesterday we saw the pressure drop down to 1003, followed by an increase in intensity. The pressure went back up, and wind speeds dropped. The 2 a.m. recon had the central pressure down to 1002, where it's remained even up through the 8 a.m. recon. So we've got the pressure and a flare-up of convection on the plus side, and the shear on the minus side. Despite the NHC forecast of weakening before landfall, I suspect Edouard has a good chance of strengthening. Hopefully, however, the shear will win out before Edouard gets to the coast.

Chris

Anonymous
Unregistered

#2689 - Wed Sep 04 2002 01:32 PM

I don't think so, but it's putting a major hurricane in the Mobile/Pensacola area. Probably a bit overdone, but the track is feasible.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
      #2690 - Wed Sep 04 2002 01:43 PM

A few things I've noticed about Ed...TWC was VERY CERTAIN earlier that he would be almost dead by the time he reached the coast. Now they are backing off of that statement. Eduardo has pretty much stalled off the coast of Central Florida, looks better and doesn't have a definite movement that one can follow for any length of time (say, like 5 minutes), so....we don't know what he's doing or when he is gonna do it, and how strong he will/won't be if he keeps this type of behavior up. Nothing is ever a sure bet when it comes to tropical weather and if he was getting closer to the coast I would say that a certain forecast could be right but the very fact that he's 90 miles east just sitting there barely moving does give him time do something.
We just have to wait and see what that "something" is. Hopefully, we will know that before my kids start college.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#2691 - Wed Sep 04 2002 01:45 PM

Eduardo should be downgraded soon, 1006 presure and only 25K winds,,,damn hes weak. Oh well which system is next????? Maybe we can all fly planes westward ahead of him causing the winds briefly to turn w in the upper level and watch him go up briefly 5 mph,LOL jk anyways if he makes it to the gulf the shawn will at least ask a new question every 5 min about hitting Houston.

troy2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: cocoa beach
      #2692 - Wed Sep 04 2002 01:58 PM

In reply to:

Okay am I crazy or is the GFDL trying to put another tropical system off the coast of Brevard after Ed goes over the state.

I saw the same thing. Small set of closed isiobars within the circulation of Edouard. It is an interesting thing. Not sure what it is, though doubt its a new sytem

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Weakening?
      #2693 - Wed Sep 04 2002 01:59 PM

The 24kts is for the SW quad, not the center. The NE quad was tagged at 43kts an hour or two ago. I don't think Ed is weakening yet.

As far as the GFDL, yes there is a swirl at the end of the GFDL loop, but it would not be strong enough to be considered even a TD.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Puerto Rico
Edouard has been a fighter
      #2694 - Wed Sep 04 2002 02:17 PM

Against all the shear it has encountered still the storm manages to hang on and complicate the forecasts of the models and the folks of the TPC.

--------------------
My 2004 hurricane season forecast=13/8/3

Edited by Cycloneye (Wed Sep 04 2002 02:18 PM)

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Edouard has been a fighter
      #2695 - Wed Sep 04 2002 02:21 PM

Eddie looks to have lost some of his signature in the past hour. I am having a hard time picking out the center on radar or sat. It was very clear earlier this morning. I believe the weakening has continued.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#2696 - Wed Sep 04 2002 02:34 PM

>>jk anyways if he makes it to the gulf the shawn will at least ask a new question every 5 min about hitting Houston.

Maybe he will, but he doesn't hide behind the anonymous tag when asking those questions or making pointed comments.

Hey Shawn,

I don't know what's up down there. There is obviously some low pressure at the surface, but there really aren't any buoys near where it probably is centered (elongated south of New Iberia/Franklin over toward Corpus/Kings Ranch). All the surrounding buoys show fairly high pressure including here in the city. Most of the pressures are up from yesterday by .02-.04 and are ranging from 29.91 to 30.3. So your guess is as good as mine. I fully expect to wake up tomorrow again and see blossoming convection. But what is the ultimate solution?

Steve

Anonymous
Unregistered

GOM LOW
      #2697 - Wed Sep 04 2002 02:51 PM

From the looks of the recent sattelites I believe we will at least get an invest out of this. BarryB

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: GOM LOW
      #2698 - Wed Sep 04 2002 03:22 PM

Looks like the TPC is getting interested also

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
complications
      #2699 - Wed Sep 04 2002 03:34 PM

shawn, NHC is talking in the 11am outlook like the system off tx/la may develop. the 00Zavn has something going out there, which absorbs edouard down the road. avn also stalls it offshore, but this is probably poor initialization (though this thing HAS been sitting off the coast for a couple of days). seeing as edouard is getting the nw outflow jet right across the top, and that system has parts at least that are under a large well defined upper ridge.. yeah, if that thing starts developing it could really wreck all the forecasts.
dolly has been decoupled, now a low cloud swirl in a hostile environment. dont count it out until totally dissipated though.
somebody mentioned that GFDL has another system behind edouard.. this is complicated. a number of models have been suggesting that a low would form south of bermuda due to an amplification, the one that was supposed to insure dolly's exit. some models loitered it, some split it, some jetted it out to the northeast. and some caught it under the building ridge. now this morning i see a slightly turning disturbance out in the general area, sheared and beaten as edouard was.. have to see if it persists.. i've been expecting something around there.
95L still has no deep convection but not any weaker. water temps underneath wont be at 26C until later on today, but it is moving towards the ridging ahead of dolly's killer trough. you know what i'm implying might happen..
can see the weak swirl to the ssw of 95L on visibles this morning, drifting west around 13N38W. 95L is caught in the mid layer flow and is going to breeze by to the north.. leaving this persistent swirl in its wake. it is still associated with convection, and waters down there are quite a bit warmer.
final note: bastardi says the next wave is energetic. 10W he said.. that means it comes out some time tomorrow.
so thats it.. four disturbed areas.. probably two will give us new storms.
HF 1531z04september

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: GOM LOW
      #2700 - Wed Sep 04 2002 03:38 PM

plane going in this afternoon

Anonymous
Unregistered

Sean and Steve where are yall?
      #2701 - Wed Sep 04 2002 03:42 PM

????????

Anonymous
Unregistered

planes GOM
      #2702 - Wed Sep 04 2002 03:59 PM

I was wondering about that. With all the planes flying around in Edouard you'd think that they would send something into the GOM area that is looking most interesting.

I was thinking Fay in the Gulf and Gustav out in the Atlantic.

Interesting thoughts a few posts back Hank I think, thanks Bobbi

Anonymous
Unregistered

#2703 - Wed Sep 04 2002 04:02 PM

As for that model run just now.. beats me what its trying to do but imagine it could only happen if when exiting Florida Edouard (happy to get away from Florida) becomes a much stronger system.

Could maybe see Edouard wandering around A1A and being pulled west by a strong storm in the Gulf but the timing looks off

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 22406

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center