F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
CFHCAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: East Central Florida
The New News System - Will this Be the Year?
      #52 - Sat May 11 2002 12:53 AM

We have activated our new news system. It's not without its flaws which we'll still be working on, but it's to the point where it is "good enough" other parts of the site will be gradually moved over. The new site doesn't require you to register, but it helps, and if we have to moderate heavily during an event we may be forced to turn on registration required to post responses to help moderate if things get too wild.

If you do register as a user here we keep your email information private, and will be able to post. Registering requires a valid email address. Additionally we'll be adding features to specify what types of weather information you wish to see, along with graphics as time goes on.

There is a known problem with the "storm popup" summary at the top of the page that may require a reload. We are working on this. If you find other problems use the Site Suggestions and Questions board to let us know, or just email us. It is a work in progress. Thanks everyone.
View the old site... nothing new will be added here
--

Actually, for a major system the answer is probably not. But this does not forgoe the need for education and preperations on a possible major system. Once again I must state my distaste for general overhyping of hurricanes by media or elsewhere. It must be tempered with facts to balance it out.

Most of the time, storms will approach and turn away, most of the time what we do get will be relatively minor, but every once in a while (thankfully it is fairly rare) a major one, such as Andrew, does come by, and in these instances all of the preperation pays off. Educating yourself on what these storms can't do, and don't usually do is just as much important on what they can. People tend to focus on the destruction that these are capable of rather than what they usually do.

Hyping leads to apathy when something that really has the potential of causing havoc approaches. And once again this is more of a fear to me rather than the actual system itself. If a dangerous storm approached and most listened to the warnings, then the destruction and death would be kept to a minimum. On the other hand, if after a string of missed calls, people were apathetic or not watching and something did come along... even a lesser system (ie a cat 3 vs a 4) is capable of causing more widespread havoc then as far as people's lives are concerned.

Many people will ask, I'm going to visit Florida on such and such date... will a storm hit then? I tell them no, but always watch the weather, it could change. These events are rare usually. One strange year could have us seeing multiple bad storms, or we could go for a string of a decade or more without a massive one hitting. Our goal isn't to create hype, or tell you that this is THE YEAR. Our goal is to give you facts from various weather sources, and opinions from us and others, and let you decide.

We try to refrain from getting caught up "in the hype", but we won't downplay possibilities either. If you agree or disagree with what people are saying about a particular system, then this forum gives you a chance to state why. And in hopes, educate others and allow them the final decision. We always state to listed to the official sources first, but as a supplimental guide, you and I can help prepare everyone.

Thanks to all who have visited our site in the past 7 years. We are designing a new back end system to help manage the volume and the signal to noise ratio during the season. We have created off topic areas for those who talk and eventually go way off topic. Those who spam repeatedly the same message over and over will be removed, and everyone else can talk storms and learn, and have fun.

Thanks,

- [mac]]

Edited by MikeC (Sat May 11 2002 01:07 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: The New News System - Will this Be the Year?
      #53 - Sat May 11 2002 01:06 AM

Just a note, the old talkbacks on the old system aren't gone... just hidden. I should fix this shortly.

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
      #54 - Sat May 11 2002 03:58 AM

Cool. I get to be the first official poster. Hello from Louisiana. Get a load of this since it's still the offseason. It's all the rage around the country today. PG-13 for sure.

http://www.bumfights.com/indecline/

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

robert
Unregistered

#55 - Sat May 11 2002 02:54 PM

lol that funny as hell steve

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
      #56 - Sat May 11 2002 05:59 PM

Hello all! Neat site...now on to the weather. Hot and humid. Smokey. There are fires burning to the east of me. Back to you in CFHC Center Steve. Reporting from Lakeland, this is Colleen with CFHC News. ;-)

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: EC Florida
      #57 - Sat May 11 2002 06:33 PM

Glad to see it being used now. I've even put a poll on one of my posts and that worked fine. Doesn't look like there is many flaws here and it is enjoyable to use. This system makes this one of the best boards on the net, IMO.
20 days til' it begins.
Peace,
Kevin

John C
Unregistered

#58 - Sat May 11 2002 07:39 PM

Kevin, Go ahead and redo your poll!

ShawnS
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pearland,Tx
      #59 - Sun May 12 2002 01:30 AM

Is anyone getting any rain right now?I hate to say this but I'm tired of seeing the sun.We have a 20% chance of rain on Monday;Yee Haw!!!!

Mark
Unregistered

#60 - Sun May 12 2002 02:18 AM

Well its time again to throw all those predications in the hat and see what happens. I am now starting to look closely into what is happening so my predication will wait for at least another week. I am leaning towards 14 storms right now with one in June and two in July to me an earler start. The rest will follow.

ShawnS
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pearland,Tx
      #61 - Sun May 12 2002 01:54 PM

Well,it looks like there are at least some clouds starting to appear in the Caribbean.That's a start!Maybe by June 1 we could possibly see something worth watching;then again maybe not.I think the next couple of weeks will be interesting to see how the patterns start shaping up.HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL THE MOMS OUT THERE!!!

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: EC Florida
Here's the poll.
      #63 - Sun May 12 2002 03:12 PM

Cast your votes, no recounts will be needed!
19 days...
Peace, Kevin
Happy Mothers Day to all the moms...you do so much for us!

Votes accepted from (Wed Apr 24 2024 07:04 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #64 - Mon May 13 2002 02:46 PM

A little quote from today's Bastardi diatribe:

>>The true summertime ridge is now starting to make an appearance over the southeastern Caribbean as far as its source region and my suspicion , and this is directed at Florida for the weather a few weeks down the road, is that as the seasonal jet evolves to a weaker and weaker status, a weakness will develop between the remains of the winter ridge pulling back west and the new summer ridge that is developing northwestward ( by, right under the trof position near 70 west the next couple of weeks, as we talked about how ridges love to develop under trofs because of the jets in spring and summer) and something breaks off from the eastern trof and gets stuck in between in early June. So one might guess that the early season tropical threat this year, if there is to be one, is more eastern than western gulf, and right or wrong about this, I will update as I see if any of these players take the field. I felt that since there has been little weather in the southeast, I thought I would start speculating on this idea now to give some folks a heads up as to what we may see aloft as we head down the road to early June.

Steve

--------------------

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
      #65 - Mon May 13 2002 03:56 PM

That's very interesting, Steve. So what Bastardi is saying is that he thinks the Eastern GOM or Caribbean is more of a threat this year and we are more likely to get hit earlier rather than later? Hm. Can't wait to see what Gray has to say about this.

I'm not good at predicting anything...I'm just gonna say this. The water in the GOM, according to people who have actually BEEN IN IT, is a LOT warmer than usual for this time of year.

Ok. So my prediction is that we will see some action this year. Is that good?

;-)

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Bill
Unregistered

#66 - Mon May 13 2002 04:01 PM

Water temps at Shell Point (s of TLH, 83 degrees) . It is hot out there, this dry weather is allowing the water to really warm up!

IHS,

Bill

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #67 - Mon May 13 2002 04:07 PM

Colleen,

I don't know if he's suggesting that you guys are in more danger earlier than later, but more that the early season threat (if there is one) is more for the eastern Gulf (Florida) than the western gulf (Texas).

And yeah, the action is good. This board is at its best when there is a real or preceived threat. 2001 (at least up to the F and G storms) was some of the best debate on the net. I'm looking forward to 2002.

Steve

--------------------

Anonymous
Unregistered

#68 - Mon May 13 2002 04:23 PM

We should not be surprised at what Bastardi says...he will beat the This is the year for west Florida until it happens and it will eventually

Cococ Beach Dave
Unregistered

Active Tropics??
      #70 - Mon May 13 2002 08:10 PM

Good afternoon all,
I was looking at the loop for the Carribean:
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/watl-ir4-loop.html
It seems that there are quite a few thumderstorms moving into the area. Good chance the the flow may bring some rain into Florida.
Almost 5 weeks without rain, doesn't look good for the grass in Florida.

Mark

Reged:
Loc: Cape Coral, Fl.
      #71 - Mon May 13 2002 08:26 PM

Well with all information that I have seen over the last few days my predication is for 14 named storms 8 Hurricanes 4 Major and I do see 1 in June and 2-3 in July. Overall an active begining a slow August and a very busy mid September thru October. There will be no ElNino maybe a weak one late in the season. The Caribean and western Atlantic will be more active this year than last year. My landfall concerns are eastern Gulf of Mexico and up the atlantic coast thru Cape Hatters N.C. My high alert this year is the panhandel of Florida eastward to Keywest and from South Carolina to Cape Hatters N.C. Well let see if June starts as active as I think it will be? Good Luck Everyone.

WxWatcher
Unregistered

#72 - Mon May 13 2002 09:16 PM

I seriously doubt that we will see any development from the disturbance in the SW Caribbean. There is barely any convection, a very weak circulation at best and it is very disorganized. In addition, none of the models are predicting development. there is also moderate shear and a small pocket of subsidence to its north.

FORECAST: This unorganized tropical disturbance will begin to move northward. It will then move over the Yucatan and exit the coast near Merida. The system will then get picked up by an approaching trough moving out of the northern GOM. The trough will cause the disturbance to turn NE or ENE towards Florida bringing occasionaly heavy rain to parts of the peninsula.

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #74 - Mon May 13 2002 09:20 PM

Rain skipped right over us today. We haven't seen any since sometime in April. There were 2 lines on their way, but they fizzled in SE LA - at least they jumped over the city. You'd think it was snow or something.

Steve

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 8887

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center