F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged:
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Possible tropical cyclone tryed to form again in the south atlantic?
      #14193 - Tue Apr 20 2004 12:14 AM

Rabbit:
Right you are - the South Atlantic has been unique in its tropical activity this winter as a 'split' on the ITCZ was forced far to the south in the western south Atlantic. Normally the ITCZ resides exclusively in the northern hemisphere because of the tilt of the earth's axis, i.e., the Trade Winds in the Northern Hemisphere and the Trade Winds in the Southern Hemisphere collide just north of the Equator and form the ITCZ. Why was it quite different this year - I haven't got the slightest idea - but it did! What might it mean for the north Atlantic season? Also no idea - makes me wonder if Cape Verde waves will dive too far south to amount to much. Things can change a lot though in the next couple of months - its that time of year.
Cheers,
ED

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Possible tropical cyclone tryed to form again in the south atlantic?
      #14194 - Wed Apr 21 2004 07:34 PM

it is not in the atlantic, but you all may want to have a look at this
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GIFS/HPIR.JPG

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Rabbit's EASTPAC satellite photo
      #14195 - Wed Apr 21 2004 09:41 PM

Rabbit, welcome aboard.

Interesting...however if you look at that image on GOES loop, it's not really that impressive. The folks on this board aren't really concerned with hurricanes that are not in the (North) Atlantic basin, and the only reason the "Hurricane" Catarina in SA was posted because it's such a rare event. If you click on the "Forum" link on the upper left, you'll be taken to a page with different topic choices. You might want to post EastPac news in the "Other Storm Basins" thread.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Rabbit's EASTPAC satellite photo
      #14196 - Thu Apr 22 2004 12:05 AM

The reason i put a pacific satellite is because the EPAC has only had storms from May to November. This would be the first in April, like the Atlantic last year. Also, I have been here before under the name BugsBunny, but my password was erased.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
      #14197 - Thu Apr 22 2004 02:41 PM

Bugs/Rabbit...sorry, didn't mean to offend. You're entirely correct that the EASTPAC has never had an April TS. However, in 1992 there was a CAT 3 in January (!) and a TS in late March. Weird year, that one. No other year since 1949 has there been a TS or higher before May. BTW, I think Daffy Duck ate your password

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

summercyclone
Unregistered

#14198 - Thu Apr 22 2004 04:30 PM

Eureka and Hallie were in Cenpac, not EastPac...plus, what happened to F ang G storms...not sure this info is correct....

SC

summercyclone
Unregistered

Ekaka and Halli
      #14199 - Thu Apr 22 2004 04:46 PM

Truth is stranger than fiction! Note they also got it wrong on intensity= 100kts is a Cat 3, not Cat 2 as indicated my Honolulu-they probably confused knots and mph.

Here is the info---not sure why they got out of order on names:

January 28 - February 4, 1992 (HURRICANE EKEKA)

Hurricane EKEKA was a rare out of season tropical cyclone that formed close to the Equator in the vicinity of Christmas Island. This was the first central North Pacific hurricane observed during the month of January since the advent of weather satellites in the 1960s.

EKEKA formed within a large area of deep convection close to the Equator that had been observed by satellite for a number of days. Several ship reports as early as January 23 had indicated squalls and strong southwesterly winds just north of the Equator to the south and southeast of the Hawaiian Islands.

The first advisory on Tropical Depression ONE-C was issued by the CPHC at 280900Z with a position of 04.7N 157.8W within the Line Islands just north of Christmas Island and just east of Fanning Island. ONE-C intensified rapidly and became a Tropical Storm EKEKA (Hawaiian for Edgar). EKEKA was upgraded to a hurricane at 300000Z as it moved slowly west northwest toward the Dateline, staying well south of Johnston Island. Peak intensity was estimated at 100 knots and was reached on February 2 with EKEKA nearing 10N 175W. A large trough in the upper westerlies began to have detrimental effects on the hurricane as it neared the Dateline on February 4. Vertical wind shear caused EKEKA to lose strength rapidly and the system was barely of tropical storm intensity as it crossed into the Western Pacific near 09N 180 at 041800Z and became the responsibility of the JTWC on Guam.

The JTWC downgraded the weakening tropical storm to a depression at 041200Z. The depression continued to move west through the Marshall Islands and did not cause any known problems. EKEKA was put to rest by the JTWC on February 8 when its remnants were near 06N 150E.

1992: Hurricane Ekeka Date/Time
(UTC) Latitude
(N) Longitude
(W) Pressure
(mb) Wind Speed
(kt) Stage/Notes
01/28/0600 4.5 157.0 30 Tropical Depression
1200 4.8 157.5 30 "
1800 5.2 158.0 35 Tropical Storm
01/29/0000 5.5 158.5 40 "
0600 5.7 159.0 45 "
1200 5.9 160.8 50 "
1800 6.0 162.5 55 "
01/30/0000 6.0 163.5 65 Hurricane Cat. 1
0600 6.1 164.2 65 "
1200 6.1 164.7 70 "
1800 6.2 165.2 75 "
01/31/0000 6.3 166.2 75 "
0600 6.5 167.2 75 "
1200 6.9 168.3 75 "
1800 7.4 169.5 85 Hurricane Cat. 2
02/01/0000 8.1 171.1 90 "
0600 8.4 171.9 90 "
1200 8.8 172.8 90 "
1800 9.0 173.3 90 "
02/02/0000 9.2 173.7 100 "
0600 9.3 174.2 100 "
1200 9.5 174.6 90 "
1800 9.6 175.1 90 "
02/03/0000 9.6 175.7 80 Hurricane Cat. 1
0600 9.7 176.4 50 Tropical Storm
1200 9.5 178.0 40 "
1800 9.4 180.0 40 "

March 28-30, 1992 (TROPICAL STORM HALI)

Warm water on the Equator to the south of the Hawaiian Islands early in the year had the effect of producing some very active deep convection and heavy rains near the Equator from the Dateline eastward to the coast of South America. This is typical El Nino weather during the northern hemisphere autumn and winter months when the otherwise sunny and dry Line Islands get inundated by torrential rains and the pleasant trade winds are replaced by humid westerly winds. These conditions are also conducive for the development of tropical cyclones.

Hurricane EKEKA formed within this area of heavy convection in late January near Christmas Island and moved west northwest toward the Marshall Islands. This very unseasonable tropical cyclone activity repeated itself in late March as Tropical Depression TWO-C developed on the 28th within a cluster of deep convection near 05N 170W. The depression intensified slowly and was upgraded to a Tropical Storm HALI (Hawaiian for Holly) on March 29. HALI peaked at about 45 knots in the area near 07N 175W on the 29th, weakened rapidly, and dissipated on the 30th as strong upper southwesterlies sheared its top off and caused the system to break up.

1992: Tropical Storm Hali Date/Time
(UTC) Latitude
(N) Longitude
(W) Pressure
(mb) Wind Speed
(kt) Stage/Notes
03/28/0600 5.2 172.2 25 Tropical Depression
1200 5.3 172.8 25 "
1800 5.4 173.0 30 "
03/29/0000 5.5 173.2 30 "
0600 5.6 173.5 30 "
1200 5.7 173.8 40 Tropical Storm
1800 5.9 174.0 45 "
03/30/0000 6.3 174.2 45 "
0600 6.5 174.9 35 "
1200 6.7 175.3 30 Tropical Depression
1800 7.0 175.5 25 "

sc

summercyclone
Unregistered

Re: Ekaka and Halli
      #14200 - Thu Apr 22 2004 04:48 PM

Make that Ekeka and Hali--aloha folks!!

sc

Brad in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #14201 - Thu Apr 22 2004 05:56 PM

Re: f & g storms: CenPac's alphabetical order differs from North Altantic's, presumably because some sounds (e.g., f & g) are not used in many of the Central Pacific languages (e.g., Hawai'in). CenPac's names consist of four lists of names beginning with the letters A, E, H, I, K, L, M, N, O, P, U, and W. According to the NHC's website: "The names are used one after the other. When the bottom of one list is reached, the next name is the top of the next list."

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Re: Ekeka and Hali
      #14202 - Thu Apr 22 2004 07:21 PM

They sure were C-PAC storms, but why then did Unisys (who usually are meticulous in their record keeping) place them on their East Pac list? And I suppose Iniki, also from 1992, would also be considered C-Pac? My bad on the East Pac call, but I figured since Unisys put them on the East Pac list, then they must be East Pac storms. Gotta check those names...that tells the whole story

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged:
NHC fluke or ignorance?
      #14203 - Fri Apr 23 2004 07:01 AM

just checked NHC site, and they've decided not to retire ANY storms from last year. Since when does a hurricane that kills 45 and cuases billions in damage not deserve a retired name?

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Re: NHC fluke or ignorance?
      #14204 - Fri Apr 23 2004 02:22 PM

I agree Bugs. HanKFranK opined on that very subject several posts ago. Juan in Nova Scotia, Fabian in Bermuda and Isabel-just cause she was a Cat V at one (actually two) point. You had to figure they'd retire at least one of those names. Very surprising.

Here's a link to the NHC site on retired names. It hasn't been updated since 2002, but it's still useful.

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Edited by LI Phil (Fri Apr 23 2004 09:21 PM)

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
Yo
      #14205 - Sat Apr 24 2004 06:34 AM

CONUS drought trend. If you have high-speed, this is the 12 week progression.

http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/thumbnails/12_week.gif

If you have low-band, this is Thursday's map:

http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html

Streve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

summercyclone
Unregistered

Re: Another S. Atlantic Hurricane??
      #14207 - Sun Apr 25 2004 01:12 AM

I was just browsing for fun and looked in on the Falkland Islands and the British S. Atlantic Territories, of which Tristan De Cunha is one; this is an excerpt from the description of a book about the Island:

"This well-written book, published by Battlebridge Publications, details briefly a concise history of the Island from its discovery in 1506 by the Portuguese navigator, Tristao da Cunha, to its modern day events, including the 21 May 2001 hurricane that devastated the Island. Many black and white photos depict the Tristan of today, its people and life, as well as leisure activities. Newer photos show the damage the 2001 hurricane did to the Island’s infrastructure."

Anybody know anything about THIS "hurricane"???

sc

summercyclone
Unregistered

Re: Another S. Atlantic Hurricane??
      #14208 - Sun Apr 25 2004 01:30 AM

WOW! Look at this, and see especially the comments about global warming!

NOTE: I did a search in Jeeves for "hurricane and Tristan De Cunha and came up with a mother lode, including a Met Office discussion complete with charts and sat pics. The storm started as a cold low and became tropical, moved towards Brazil...sound familiar???

S.Atlantic : Official Hurricane Report
Submitted by SARTMA.com (Juanita Brock) 17.11.2003 (Current Article)
On 21 May 2001, Tristan suffered a devastating hurricane where every building on the Island, save, St. Joseph's Catholic Church, was damaged.

Photos (c) James Glass

Hurricane hits Tristan da Cunha

Monday 21 May 2001

The Hospital Damage was tragic. A new X-Ray machine can cost as much as £600,000.00

Following is the official report that was written by James Glass, Chief Islander and Acting Administrator of Tristan da Cunha, in order to give readers brief accounts of the damage caused by the Hurricane.

Medical Department

The east gable end of the Hospital fell in, and a quarter of the roofing torn off. The x-ray room and theatre room was totally destroyed and waterlogged. A list of the machines that were damaged and urgently needs replacing will be faxed to you, as they need to catch the vessel departing 7th June from Cape Town otherwise we will only get them in September!!! A patient (boy aged 8) was in hospital at the time.

Large holes were ripped in the roof on the Medical Officer's House, and all the carpets; furniture and clothing were wet.

Administration Department

Ridging on the east and west Gable ends of the Residency were torn off and, dining room etc got wet. A falling tree crushed the Greenhouse. Three longboats that were secured outside of the garden to the east were blown into the Residency garden.

A quarter of the roof on the Governor's house (Bungalow) was torn off, and the house waterlogged.

Administration building one window blown in and floors waterlogged, two computers and one printer down due to water.

Island Store Department

Holes in the asbestos roof of the Island Store (supermarket) caused by flying asbestos sheeting, and the floors flooded, clothing and foodstuff damage. The roof of the Gas Store torn off.

Mechanical Department

Asbestos roof completely ripped off Mechanical Department Workshop.

The Sawmill, in the distance, suffered the loss of roof and equipment.

PWD C & M Department

A few sheets of asbestos roofing came off the PWD General Store, and the building was flooded

Agriculture Department

East Gable end of Agriculture Wood Store fell in and asbestos roofing torn off. The Sawmill was badly damaged. Top of Agriculture Greenhouse and tunnel roof destroyed. 30 cattle dead and the count of sheep are unknown at this time. Roof torn off one of the two slaughterhouses. This is only in the settlement area, the weather has not allowed us to visit the back of the island, or the islands of Nightingale and Inaccessible.

Telecommunications Department

Asbestos ridging and roofing blown off the Radio Station, causing all the radio equipment to get waterlogged. The window was blown in and the satellite phone/equipment sucked out of window. Urgently need a HF radio of approximately 500w, for communications to Cape Town and elsewhere. The 100ft Jaguar mast (of ten iron sections) is leaning to the west, and will have to be cut down.

The radio equipment given to the Island by DFID during the Fisheries Project of 1996, was able to run communications between Cape Town and Tristan, for the 6 days whilst the power was cut of to the village and will continue until we can have another transmitter brought in.

Electrical Department

Electrical wires blown down all through the Village, like tangled fishing lines. No power since Monday 21 May, until today. A temporary power line was run to the Administration Building and the Island Store freezer after three days. A few sheets of asbestos were blown of their main building and floor waterlogged.

Police Department

Roof torn off the shed, which covers the rescue boat.

Natural Resources Department.

One computer waterlogged.

The Community Centre and Pub still are not repaired.

Community Centre and the only Pub destroyed

Asbestos roofing and overhead verandas torn off back and front of the Prince Philip Hall, with other large holes in the roof, the loft in the main hall fell in and the building is waterlogged. I am having a meeting with the council to see what can be done, but I presume that the only option would be to take the roof off completely, because if we have another gale, it may cause damage to the surrounding houses.

Two sheets of asbestos roofing off the back of the Café, and the inside waterlogged.

I am holding a meeting with the Government Heads of the various Departments, and will only know the full extent of the damage to their department then. At this time it is not possible for me to put a figure to the damage but I expect it to exceed at least two years of our revenue.

This is just Government buildings, a number of Islander houses were also damage, asbestos roofing blown off, windows broken, guttering blown off etc, and every house had water in either through their windows or roof. The roofing was torn of the Anglican Church Vestry and the Tower Bell blown down.

The biggest problem on Tristan at the moment is that 90% of the roofing is made of asbestos from South Africa, which gets brittle after time. When a sheet breaks or cracks its has to be replaced, often having to be cut by saw. Bits and pieces of asbestos litter the village and are busy being cleared at the moment. Although this is all the islanders can afford with their average monthly income of £152.43 per month. Not only are it an environmental disaster, but a health hazard as well, but what can we do?

Is there anyway in which the British Government could help the people of Tristan da Cunha to get rid of asbestos, granting a bulk of dipped Aluminium sheeting at a cost the islanders can afford.

There are only just over a hundred houses, each house taking approximately 40 sheets. This I believe could be the first affect of global warming seen at Tristan, with more weather

effects to come in the future.

I am setting up a disaster Fund, to help cover the expenses of roofing, the houses of the less fortunate. If you know any charities that would like to donate any amount, please ask them to contact me. It may also help to advertise for the rebuilding of the Community Centre.

I will come back to you with the total cost of damage, but it could take quite a while.

Kind regards

James Glass

Acting Administrator