F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)
Old Sailor
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Accuwx Landfall Predictions [Re: Cycloneye]
      #15685 - Fri Jul 02 2004 12:39 AM

Accuwx and JB's track record over the last few years haven't been very good, but they are in the business getting Customers and people love to hear that things may go bad.
Maybe that's why they are on the Business New Channels, just like the stock market guys are never wrong.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Re: Topic [Re: Unregistered User]
      #15686 - Fri Jul 02 2004 12:55 AM

I think Ed, Mike C and John C are the only ones with the ability to create a new forum. And i haven't seen any of them around in quite some time. We will have to wait for them to get back before any changes to the site can occur. LI Phil was saying earlier he still had not heard from Ed, so its been a couple of weeks.

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Re: Accuwx Landfall Predictions [Re: Old Sailor]
      #15687 - Fri Jul 02 2004 01:01 AM

they're calling for a landmark year. if we don't get one, they blew it.. simple as that. personally gotta go with the conservative side here.. don't see that many landfalls this year (though i do expect a couple to be noteworthy, and perhaps a couple just humdum). a real coup for accuwx if we get walloped a few times, though.
the only really spooky thing is how hard this year is to analog. ENSO is in limbo, and a lot of the analogs i've seen from various forecast sources don't ring very true (1990 and 2003 are mine, though i can see glaring inconsistencies).
one thing i have a decent mind on.. don't think this year's active spell starts last two weeks of august a la 1998/99. by late this month or early august we should have popped a few off. i'll be really surprised if we get to august without having had a couple.
HF 0101z02july

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
YO, LONNY & SAILOR [Re: Old Sailor]
      #15688 - Fri Jul 02 2004 02:17 AM

First off, as James88 said, only Ed, John or Mike can change the thread. Secondly, Ed's been more than noticeably absent for more than 2 weeks. That should give the entire board pause.

Second, I'm sure the multiple posters would gladly change the subject, but it seems that the only forum anyone posts in is the Main One. There are other boards, and a few posters attempt to start new topics, only to be basically ignored. Which is fine, and everyone's prerogative.

Third, since ED is absent, no one's posts are getting edited, and I think we're all (myself as the biggest infractor...is that a word?) getting carried away. Yes, the Saints vs. Jets don't belong on the front boards, but at least they can stay up for a time.

Again, this gets me back to my main concern, which is that we have not heard from Ed for a long time.

As ED would say, "the topic is tropic", I'm happy to post only about our immediate basin concerns, which are basically nil.

Thanks, HF for a decent post, as always.

However, until such time as ED does return to keep us all in line, the posts shall flow.

Back on topic, bet we have Alex by 7/15. Anyone want to take a stab at that?

PEACE MI AMIGOS,

Phil

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

John C
Unregistered

Re: Topic [Re: Jamiewx]
      #15690 - Fri Jul 02 2004 02:42 AM

I’m still around, I have not heard from Ed. I hope he is ok. As far as posting a new thread I will work on that one.. Looking for something to post about! Mike is busy getting ready to make a major change to the site.

Have a great holiday weekend and be safe!

- John

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Thx John C! [Re: ]
      #15691 - Fri Jul 02 2004 02:47 AM

Looking forward to the changes...maybe some more "emoticons" or whatever they're called.

Please let us know (or at least me) about ED's status. That's far more important than whether or nor Blas develops within the next 72 hours (BTW>will it?)

I for one don't think the basin will be quiet for too much longer, maybe a week or two, and then (doing best "Emeril" impression) "BAM".

John & Mike, keep up the GREAT SITE, and as Joe B would say, "Enjoy the weather, it's the only weather you've got."

Peace,

LI Phil

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
off topic/on topic [Re: LI Phil]
      #15692 - Fri Jul 02 2004 04:00 AM

off topic..who is emerill

on topic.. is that an E storm?

tom5r
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Islamorada, Florida
Re: off topic/on topic [Re: LoisCane]
      #15693 - Fri Jul 02 2004 06:34 AM

LOIS,
Emeril, (I believe its spelled with one L) is a world reknowned chef, who has restaurants in NY and other major cities but who's home front is in Disney World. You can catch his cooking show any morning on channel 3.

lois
Unregistered

Re: off topic/on topic [Re: tom5r]
      #15694 - Fri Jul 02 2004 02:01 PM

oh ok.. i only watch the weather channel
thanks tho

ps, im a good cook

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: off topic/on topic [Re: tom5r]
      #15695 - Fri Jul 02 2004 02:10 PM

Emeril Lagasse is a Boston area native who calls New Orleans and New York City home. He trained at Commander's Palace as so many great chefs have. He runs 3 restaurants here in town - Emerils, NOLA and Delmonico's steakhouse. He's world renownd for his program on the food network "Emeril Live". If you didn't know (and I'm guessing you were just playing), every recipe from every show is on Foodnetwork.com. My wife has gotten a few of his recipes and tried them at home. All were superior. His chicken marsala is incredible as is his gumbo. Just last night we made pecan-crusted trout meneure (lemon, butter, worchestershire, bay leaves, cream sauce) with some fresh trout filets I had just caught. It was outstanding.

>>Accuwx and JB's track record over the last few years haven't been very good

Old Swede? Heh. Joe's record on his landfall intensity forecasts have been UNCANNY. He has correctly identified true areas of greatest threats the last few years. Last year's bullseyes on Texas and NC were excellent. This year's West Florida, LA-MS line across the panhandle, Texas and coastal Carolinas all are in for >/= Cat 1 effects. As he always says, let the tree bear its fruit. I disputed his 2002 forecast when it was obvious that Louisiana was to be the target area, and indeed we were. But he was fantastic with Lili and Isidore days prior to the NHC, TWC, and most internet posters who all (as usual) found a way for the storm to be heading to their area. And plus, if he sucked, the last thing I'd be doing is pissing away $14.95 a month for access. Having said that, I'm not a major fan of Accuweather outside of Bastardi.

Now I'm willing to listen to your take on exactly where you think they botched things.
---------------------------------------------
As for the tropics today:

SSTA's are still running slightly above average in most of the Atlantic Basin. The cool "La Ninaesque" tongue off the Western South American Coast is still entrenched. Some of the warm water, presumably from the recent strongly negative SOI is showing up around the equator from -150 to +150 giving the Pacific a "neutral" feel except around the SE Asian coast.

SOI has stayed around neutral for the 3rd straight day (4.50, 3.50, -0.20).

As for the other indexes, Artic Oscilation is running slightly negative, with the ensemble forecasts predicting neutral for the next few days. PNA is neutral and forecast toward the positive. NAO is positive and forecast toward neutral. If anyone doesn't have the index page at NCEP bookmarked, here it is:

NCEP "Index" Page

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

James88
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: Is something trying to form in the Epac? [Re: Cycloneye]
      #15696 - Fri Jul 02 2004 03:50 PM

The disturbance in the E. Pacific has finally been upgraded to Tropical Depression Two-E. It is not expected to reach tropical storm status.

Meanwhile, some fairly impressive (disorganised) convection continues to roll off the East Coast.

How much longer, I wonder?

Bobbi
Unregistered

Never assume nothing [Re: James88]
      #15697 - Fri Jul 02 2004 05:14 PM

Old saying.. still works.

Now that you mention it ..does sound kind of familar but I don't watch the food network and I was reading a weather board so it wasn't very familiar a name to me. And, I'm a really good cook but there are a lot of things I would rather be doing than pasting pecans to a piece of fish. Mind you.. I'd love to eat it and love to have creamy sauces and would love to find a husband down the road who enjoys cooking. I think men that cook well are so interesting...usually shows something about their nature if they have an appreciation of fine food.

I loved cooking shows when I was very little.. small.. stayed home a lot sick watching one cooking show after another, maybe that's why I am a good cook. Rarely follow recipes and adapt them a lot. But there are things I would rather do then cook together.

If I had been on a food chat I probably would have made the connection. Round here I wasn't sure if he was a linebacker for Tampa Bay or a NASCAR driver..sorry.

Fresh fish is good, very good.

As for that disorganized mess off the coast its not tropical and would have to hang there a long time to become tropical.

As for Joey boy.. will see what we will see. Love his gusto, suppose with all that bodybuilding he does I believe with his wife he's not much into creamy sauces and probably slurps those energy drinks while spacing out over models.

Its nice to be friends with your spouse, my ex and I were good friends.. we still are.. I want more than a friend and a co-hobbiest as a husband. We all have our priorities.

Just mentioning it because I am single, I am looking.. haven't found the right one, hope to.. was thinking of taking out an ad on a hurricane site somewhere.. You think that would work? Think the online dating is so.. empty. Suppose if you want someone exactly like you with the same hobbies, interests, height and origin its good.. But I think being connected to someone on a deep, deep, DEEP gut level attachment is about energy and respect and other things I won't mention here.

We are just all so different, all parts of the cosmos, the crazy quilt of people online talking between bodybuilding and frying fish.

take care guys, happy 4th of July.. I'll be back after the holiday hopefully relaxed and not more exhausted. Never know when traveling. Either way.. no storms on the horizon to track. Maybe when back..we will have something to play with..

Until then.. happy fishing, happy cooking and happy lifting those bar bells.

Bobbi

lois/bobbi
Unregistered

btw [Re: Bobbi]
      #15698 - Fri Jul 02 2004 05:21 PM

Since Ed's not here and we aren't so rigid on topics. I mean HELLO THE TWO BROTHERS OUT THERE..there is nothing in the Gulf, doubt Ed would mind if you admitted that and made a new room. Be creative, am sure you can come up with a topic. If I was Ed and had to take time off I'd probably feel badly somewhere that everything was left hanging and would be happy someone took an interest to help out.

So..since we aren't on topic... Marlon Brando died today. Very heavy for those of us who love the theatre. Great actor, strange man. Who would think someone like Brando would be known for his work playing Tennesee Wiliams roles. See the hard part is finding the perfect actor. Can't see Newman screaming Stella in the rain. He could have but.. wouldn't have been the same now would it? Or Burt playing Brick? He could have but it wouldn't have been the creation of the role we remember.

People are never irreplacable.. not the great ones like Brando.

Oh..he was half french btw.. bet he knew how to cook.

He'll be missed. We should name a cane after him Brando

James88
Weather Master

Reged:
A new wave [Re: lois/bobbi]
      #15699 - Fri Jul 02 2004 06:17 PM

Looks like a fairly strong wave has just emerged off the coast of Africa. Maybe if it survives its journey across the Atlantic it will give us something to watch in a few days time. Note that there are quite a few guesses for the first named storm in the next couple of weeks. We are in July, and the conditions are slowly beginning to become favourable for development outside the GOM and the W. Caribbean, so can it be that much longer?

summercyclone
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Florida Big Bend
Re: July=Will this month have tropical developments? [Re: lois/bobbi]
      #15700 - Fri Jul 02 2004 06:23 PM

Don't worry--we will have depressions ---if we don't, it'll mean an August and September (and October) that are totally frantic with storms...

sc

summercyclone
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: C-Eye [Re: LI Phil]
      #15701 - Fri Jul 02 2004 06:30 PM

It shouldn't have been upgraded, based on the types of ATL systems NHC has refused to upgrade in the past!

sc

James88
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: July=Will this month have tropical developments? [Re: summercyclone]
      #15702 - Fri Jul 02 2004 06:30 PM

Just like 1998 - Alex formed on 27th July. It took off after that:-

-August had 4 storms form
-September had 6
-October and November had 3

Maybe we'll be looking at something like that again this year. Same names.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: July=Will this month have tropical developments? [Re: LI Phil]
      #15703 - Fri Jul 02 2004 06:51 PM

Yes, the dome is a shelter, believe it or not.

A

lois
Unregistered

gee james [Re: James88]
      #15704 - Fri Jul 02 2004 07:01 PM

Looks like you and I were thinking of the same storm. How bout that.

summercyclone
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Accuwx Landfall Predictions [Re: HanKFranK]
      #15705 - Fri Jul 02 2004 07:01 PM

Agree with HF all down the line, except this year I think 'conservative' is out....it'll be a rocking and rolling year---or a dud, no two ways about it.

I believe it'll be Rockin and Rollin.

sc

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 62 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 139105

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center