F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: another 6 hours.... [Re: rickonboat]
      #23353 - Thu Sep 02 2004 09:35 PM

>>> Anyone know the name of that hapless little island that it went directly over?

San Salvador...it's in the Advisory...

BTW this is a link to current conditions in the Carib...lists all the island names for easy reference!

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
5pm Advisory [Re: LI Phil]
      #23354 - Thu Sep 02 2004 09:37 PM

A little light on facts and info. When does Stewart get back on the clock?

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

clyde w.
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Lower wind speed at landfall? [Re: StormHound]
      #23355 - Thu Sep 02 2004 09:37 PM

Stormhound, Channel 6 is making the same mistake a bunch of folks in the office are. In the NHC discussion, they have the 48 hour location at 90kts and Inland (which usually means its made landfall and is weakening. The discussion stated they believe that Frances will make landfall as a Cat 4 hurricane.

SoonerShawn
Unregistered

New Eye Reformation? [Re: LI Phil]
      #23357 - Thu Sep 02 2004 09:42 PM

Looking at the latest loops it looks to me as if we are having another reformation of her eye. The reds on the IR shots are now wrapping around where I think the new eye will eventually be. Let's see what you all think.

ShawnS

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Lower wind speed at landfall? [Re: clyde w.]
      #23358 - Thu Sep 02 2004 09:44 PM

Quote:

Stormhound, Channel 6 is making the same mistake a bunch of folks in the office are. In the NHC discussion, they have the 48 hour location at 90kts and Inland (which usually means its made landfall and is weakening. The discussion stated they believe that Frances will make landfall as a Cat 4 hurricane.

Thanks Clyde. Major blunder on the part of Local 6.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

DroopGB31
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola
Re: 5pm Advisory [Re: StormHound]
      #23359 - Thu Sep 02 2004 09:47 PM

Anybody get the feeling that as soon as you think you have grasped the idea of where Frances is going, then something goes wrong and your back to pulling your hair out? I've gotten that feeling atleast 5 times this week. Its crazy. Anways, the NHC's new track has me even more concerned as they are implying the idea that they believe a second landfall is possible. And Im going to assume that the track in the gulf will be more westerly then what they are showing because there shouldnt be anything around to turn Frances that hard and fast, plus the model guidance I've seen today leads me to believe that. Anybody want this season over with already say I....I !!!!!

casps
Unregistered

Re: Lower wind speed at landfall? [Re: StormHound]
      #23360 - Thu Sep 02 2004 09:48 PM

asked earlier............ if you had the choice of a direct C/L of the eye or an ne quadrant.... which would be safest......

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: 5pm Advisory [Re: DroopGB31]
      #23361 - Thu Sep 02 2004 09:52 PM

Actually, at least as far as my thoughts, Frances is well behaved...it's just a behavior I didn't want to see.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Re: Lower wind speed at landfall? [Re: casps]
      #23362 - Thu Sep 02 2004 09:55 PM

Quote:

asked earlier............ if you had the choice of a direct C/L of the eye or an ne quadrant.... which would be safest......

With a CAT IV? Unless I had NO OPTIONS for leaving, neither one of those two is a very safe choice. If you think there's a chance you'd be in either location, why wouldn't you evac?

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Todd
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Havelock, NC(34.89n76.92w)
Re: another 6 hours.... [Re: rickonboat]
      #23363 - Thu Sep 02 2004 09:55 PM

Maybe this link will help explain the NHC forecast(s)/thinking a little more graphically

https://nlmoc.navy.mil/cgi-bin/wxgrid.pl?aor+sfcanal_blend_12z+alltimes

cas
Unregistered

Re: Lower wind speed at landfall? [Re: LI Phil]
      #23364 - Thu Sep 02 2004 09:57 PM

Im sorry, I should have stated that I am talking about inland CF South of Clermont or Orlando / Apopka

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
Re: Hurricane Frances Still on Track TD#9 forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: clyde w.]
      #23365 - Thu Sep 02 2004 09:57 PM

I wonder if TD9 is what the GFS has coming up near South Florida in about a week?

Bill

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: Hurricane Frances Still on Track TD#9 forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: BillD]
      #23366 - Thu Sep 02 2004 10:00 PM

Quote:

I wonder if TD9 is what the GFS has coming up near South Florida in about a week?

Bill

Yep.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

casps
Unregistered

Re: Lower wind speed at landfall? [Re: cas]
      #23367 - Thu Sep 02 2004 10:00 PM

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With a CAT IV? Unless I had NO OPTIONS for leaving, neither one of those two is a very safe choice. If you think there's a chance you'd be in either location, why wouldn't you evac?
Quote:

Im sorry, I should have stated that I am talking about inland CF South of Clermont or Orlando / Apopka

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Re: another 6 hours.... [Re: Todd]
      #23368 - Thu Sep 02 2004 10:02 PM Attachment (291 downloads)

What the hell is going on at 108 hours?

See attachment

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Todd
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Havelock, NC(34.89n76.92w)
Re: another 6 hours.... [Re: LI Phil]
      #23370 - Thu Sep 02 2004 10:05 PM

Sorry Phil...part of yesterday's run was in the group.. I had been waiting for these runs all day .. they just haven't cleared aout everthing

rickonboat
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
San Salvador.... [Re: Todd]
      #23371 - Thu Sep 02 2004 10:07 PM

In terms of human suffering...for the last 6 hours or so, that little Island has withstood 140 mph sustained winds...and plenty of opportunity to catch 170 mph gusts. What is possibly left of it, I wonder?

Hurricaned
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
I find the Orlando information confusing! [Re: MikeC]
      #23372 - Thu Sep 02 2004 10:07 PM

I find information regarding Orlando very confusing. If I use the Official Point Forecast from the National Weather Service, it says pretty encouraging things about Orlando:

Saturday - <major snip job> Windy, with a north northeast wind 30 to 35 mph increasing to between 40 and 45 mph. Winds could gust as high as 60 mph.

Saturday Night - <major snip job>Windy, with a north northeast wind 45 to 55 mph becoming southeast. Winds could gust as high as 80 mph.

...and yet, when I look at the Hurricane/Tropical Local Statement for Melbourne, it says this - "THE WIND THREAT TO EAST CENTRAL FLORIDA IS EXTREME. THE THREAT IS
MUCH GREATER FOR EAST CENTRAL FLORIDA THAN WHAT WAS EXPERIENCED WITH HURRICANE Charley. THE MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS WITH Frances ARE NEAR 140 MPH. SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN INTENSITY WILL BE LIKELY. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT PEOPLE NOT BASE THEIR PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS SOLELY ON THE CENTER TRACK OF Frances. Frances IS A VERY LARGE HURRICANE AND WILL THEREFORE HAVE A WIDE SWATH OF DAMAGING WINDS. THERE IS STILL SOME UNCERTAINTY WITH THE TRACK ITSELF. ALL RESIDENTS OF EAST CENTRAL FLORIDA MUST MAKE PREPARATIONS FOR HURRICANE FORCE WINDS...WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT SOME LOCATIONS ARE LIKELY TO EXPERIENCE WINDS NEAR 110 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS."

Okay, which one to believe??? :?: :?: :?:

casps
Unregistered

Re: I find the Orlando information confusing! [Re: Hurricaned]
      #23373 - Thu Sep 02 2004 10:09 PM

Quote:

I find information regarding Orlando very confusing. If I use the Official Point Forecast from the National Weather Service, it says pretty encouraging things about Orlando:

Saturday - <major snip job> Windy, with a north northeast wind 30 to 35 mph increasing to between 40 and 45 mph. Winds could gust as high as 60 mph.

Saturday Night - <major snip job>Windy, with a north northeast wind 45 to 55 mph becoming southeast. Winds could gust as high as 80 mph.

...and yet, when I look at the Hurricane/Tropical Local Statement for Melbourne, it says this - "THE WIND THREAT TO EAST CENTRAL FLORIDA IS EXTREME. THE THREAT IS
MUCH GREATER FOR EAST CENTRAL FLORIDA THAN WHAT WAS EXPERIENCED WITH HURRICANE Charley. THE MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS WITH Frances ARE NEAR 140 MPH. SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN INTENSITY WILL BE LIKELY. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT PEOPLE NOT BASE THEIR PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS SOLELY ON THE CENTER TRACK OF Frances. Frances IS A VERY LARGE HURRICANE AND WILL THEREFORE HAVE A WIDE SWATH OF DAMAGING WINDS. THERE IS STILL SOME UNCERTAINTY WITH THE TRACK ITSELF. ALL RESIDENTS OF EAST CENTRAL FLORIDA MUST MAKE PREPARATIONS FOR HURRICANE FORCE WINDS...WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT SOME LOCATIONS ARE LIKELY TO EXPERIENCE WINDS NEAR 110 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS."

Okay, which one to believe??? :?: :?: :?:

DIG IT !!!! THIS IS WHY I ASK

SoonerShawn
Unregistered

Re: another 6 hours.... [Re: Todd]
      #23374 - Thu Sep 02 2004 10:10 PM

I'm tired of being wrong!

ShawnS

Heh. Get used to it...happens to me all the time! Like with this one...

Edited by LI Phil (Thu Sep 02 2004 10:28 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 110 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 38126

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center