F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Ivan Strong Category 5. TD#10 Forms in Eastern Atlantic
      #24327 - Thu Sep 09 2004 11:31 AM

11AM Update
NHC Official Track shifts left a bit at 11, now toward West Coast of Florida again Late Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. The hurricane center also states, however, that they are very uncertain with the track at present.

10AM Update
All non-residents and visitors to the Florida Keys are now under a mandatory evacuation order. As of 9AM Today. At 7AM tomorrow the Keys will undergo a phased evacuation for residents as well.

Monroe County Emergency Management

Original Update
Hurricane Ivan is now a strong and rare Category 5 Hurricane, the highest on the scale.

Ivan is moving west Northwest in the Caribbean Sea. The Latest recon has recorded a windspeed at 151 Knots at flight level, which indicates the sustained ground windspeed may be even higher than the 160MPH at the 5AM National Hurricane Center Advisory.

Right now it still has room to get a little bit stronger. I am not sure if it will reach Gilbert levels or not, but it is possible. It is important to note that if it got to Florida, it would not be at its current intensity, it would likely be lower. Hopefully much lower.

This is not good news at all for Jamaica if it heads ion its current path. Luckily storms like this usually don't hold extreme strength too long. But if the conditions allow it for further strengthening it may still be a or category 5 or strong 4 at landfall for Jamaica. However the official forecast calls for it to weaken a bit before then.

Tropical Depression Ten formed in the east Atlantic, near the Azores. It's moving Northeast and looks to be a fiish spinner (not affecting land) for the most part.

More to come later today.

** SITE NOTE ** Although we are working on improving the site hardware and bandwidth (thanks to donations and help from others), we are still using the old system currently, with slight modifications. Therefore the site may go down from time to time, although not for very long. We are continually working on improving the response without removing usefulness. We have new hardware on order and should be in sometime next week.

Those asking for a mailing address for donations should use
Mike Cornelius
804 Omni Blvd
Suite 101
Newport News, VA 23606

Event RelatedLinks
Stormcarib personal reports from Jamaica
Ivan Models -- This image animated over time
Ivan Spaghetti Model from Hurricanealley/boatus (Working Link)
Weather Underground Model Plots for Ivan
The Caribbean Hurricane Page - updates from the islands
Caribbean Island Weather Reports
Nice color satellite image (Animated Version)
High Speed Satellite Loops (Click floater)
Forecast Discussions for (Show All Locations):
Tampa. Miami, Key West, Tallahassee.
Melbourne
Hurricane Local Statements for Weather Offices in:
Key West (Florida Keys)Long Range Radar Loop

General Links
Skeetobite's storm track maps
Current Aircraft Recon Info

NRL Monterey Marine Meteorology Division Forecast Track of Active Systems (Good Forecast Track Graphic and Satellite Photos)

Check the Storm Forum from time to time for comments on any new developing system.

Follow worldwide SST evolution here:

Global SST Animation

NASA GHCC Interactive Satellite images at:

North Atlantic Visible (Daytime Only), Infrared, Water Vapor
LSU Sat images

Some forecast models:
NGM, AVN, MRF, ETA ECMWF
AVN, CMC, GFDL, JMA, NOGAPS, UKMET

DoD Weather Models (NOGAPS, AVN, MRF)

Multi-model plots from WREL
Other commentary at Independentwx.com, Robert Lightbown/Crown Weather Tropical Update Accuweather's Joe Bastardi (now subcriber only unfortunately), Hurricane Alley North Atlantic Page, HurricaneVille, Cyclomax (Rich B.), Hurricane City , mpittweather , WXRisk, Gary Gray's Millennium Weather, storm2k, Barometer Bob's Hurricane Hollow, Snonut,

Even more on the links page.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ticka1
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Southeast Texas
Re: Ivan Strong Category 5. TD#10 Forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: MikeC]
      #24329 - Thu Sep 09 2004 11:42 AM

WTNT61 KNHC 091040
TCUAT
BULLETIN
HURRICANE Ivan UPDATE
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
635 AM AST THU SEP 9 2004

AN AIR FORCE RESERVE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INVESTIGATING Ivan
THIS MORNING RECENTLY REPORTED...AT 614 AM AST OR 1014Z...A
FLIGHT-LEVEL WIND OF 154 KT IN THE NORTHEAST QUADRANT. THEY ALSO
REPORTED A LOWER CENTRAL PRESSURE OF 920 MB...SUGGESTING THAT Ivan
MAY CONTAIN SURFACE WINDS A LITTLE STRONGER THAN THE 160 MPH
INDICATED IN THE 5 AM AST ADVISORY. DROPSONDE WIND REPORTS ALSO
INDICATED WINDS OF NEAR 210 MPH AT AN ALTITUDE OF ABOUT 350 FEET
ABOVE THE OCEAN SURFACE.

FORECASTER STEWART

--------------------
Join www.wildonweather.com/forum Message Board

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Ivan Strong Category 5. TD#10 Forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: MikeC]
      #24330 - Thu Sep 09 2004 11:57 AM

It now appears Ivan the Terrible is moving solidly WNW, and it looks like intensification may have slowed down or stopped based on the inner-core convection. Really not a surprise since it has gone through 2 intens. bursts since yesterday. The GFS seems to be doing what it did with Frances, and that is insisting on a far-right track. With Frances, several runs around day 5 called for landfall in the Carolinas. I am not sure why this model is behaving this way, if I remember correctly, it did a pretty good job with Isabel and others. About a week ago, one of the forecasters at the NWSFO in Mount Holly talked about how the recent MJO activity correllated well to the activity in the tropics. He stated at the time that the eastern trough pattern was disrupted in early August by the MJO activity, and that that trough was not likely to return in the near future (written on 9-4).
It has been a strange year. South America gets hit by a hurricane, and there are 2 others out there, plus Japan gets hit by 7 typhoons this year, in addition to our troubles in the tropics. This year deserves a lot of study.

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: Ivan Strong Category 5. TD#10 Forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: MrSpock]
      #24331 - Thu Sep 09 2004 12:16 PM

I looked at the NHC 5-day projections and the different models. They all show some amount of northerly turn, which is why it's apparently now going to Florida. Anyway, how is it that a storm that big can make sure a dramatic turn?

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

ticka1
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Southeast Texas
Re: Ivan Strong Category 5. TD#10 Forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: Terra]
      #24332 - Thu Sep 09 2004 12:29 PM

Is there any truth to the saying that hurricanes can create their own environment?

Could Ivan do this - if its possible?

--------------------
Join www.wildonweather.com/forum Message Board

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Ivan Strong Category 5. TD#10 Forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: Terra]
      #24333 - Thu Sep 09 2004 12:32 PM

The ETA (not trusting it totally at this point either) is much more to the left than the GFS. I think Ivan has gradually made a rightward turn since yesterday. If this were the size of Gilbert, I would say they are all too far to the right. It may have been 16 years ago, but I seem to remember Gilbert was forecasted originally to hit several hundred miles farther east than it did. That monster also took up a lot of space, and totally altered its surroundings. It just wouldn't (couldn't?) turn. This one looks like it can. If this hits Jamaica head-on, it will be worse than Gilbert if it remains at this intensity. It took many years for them to recover from that one.

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Ivan Strong Category 5. TD#10 Forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: ticka1]
      #24335 - Thu Sep 09 2004 12:37 PM

I was writing my last post when you posed the question about creating their own environments that I touched on.
Yes, if they are big enough and strong enough, they can. As I alluded to above, Gilbert not only created its own environment, but altered the weather pattern for weeks to come if memory serves. Without seeing maps from that time, I recall Gilbert hitting NE Mexico, and getting lost in the mountains, but the high aloft that went with it, remained over the GOM for several weeks, and cleaned things out for a while. If anyone remembers this differently, feel free to set me straight on that, but that is what I remember. Also, Gilbert was the strongest ever, and its pressure dropped to 888 mbs. in addition to its huge areal coverage.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
      #24336 - Thu Sep 09 2004 12:39 PM

Latest WV imagery show a fast moving ridge to the east of FL. Extrapolated plot would put this ridge covering the southern half of the FL peninsula in 18-24hrs. This is provided that the current speed and direction are maintained.
The ridge is moving westward at at rather rapid rate. A 2 hour loop looks like 10-15mph. 1145Z western most point of the ridge is on a line with the Ft Pierce area.
Maybe this will give FL some protection!
Correction, Ridge axis extends to a point east of the Melbourne/KSC area. 30.0N/ 75.0W roughly
http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/GOES121520042533CTHa9.jpg

Edited by danielw (Thu Sep 09 2004 12:43 PM)

Kimster
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Dunedin, FL
      #24337 - Thu Sep 09 2004 12:49 PM

Hurricane Gilbert had the lowest sea level pressure (888 Mb) ever recorded in the Western Hemisphere. Gilbert reached category 5 status, but at the time of it's landfall over Cozumel, Mexico it had weakened to a category 3 storm. Gilbert tracked northeast into Texas and Oklahoma.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Re: Ivan Water Vapor Pics [Re: Kimster]
      #24338 - Thu Sep 09 2004 12:57 PM

Loop this image, and watch the area off the FL east coast move west, a little faster than Ivan's forward speed.

http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseastconuswv.html

Bev
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Port Charlotte, FL and Abaco, ...
Re: Ivan Strong Category 5. TD#10 Forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: Kimster]
      #24339 - Thu Sep 09 2004 01:04 PM

Has anyone else noticed the paths of Charley and Ivan are on top of each other?

--------------------
Survived Charley at Cat 4 under a staircase. Won't do that again. I watch SW Florida and Abaco primarily.

scottsvb1
Unregistered

Re: Ivan Water Vapor Pics [Re: danielw]
      #24340 - Thu Sep 09 2004 01:04 PM

Do hurricanes create they're own enviroment? Yes and really NO. They can improve the outflow and different aspects to the storm, but they dont make them go 1 way or another. Even with a storm like this or in past years such as floyd,,,a trough or other dynamics in the atmosphere will still cause a hurricane to move in the direction of the flow infront of the mid level system or troughiness. So to answer your question really,,,,,,,NO they dont change the path if a they are like cat 4 or 5.

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Florida Keys [Re: scottsvb1]
      #24341 - Thu Sep 09 2004 01:12 PM

The Florida Keys are now being evacuated. This is for visitors and mobile homes.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

Bev
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Port Charlotte, FL and Abaco, ...
GOM Discussion -Effect on Ivan? [Re: scottsvb1]
      #24342 - Thu Sep 09 2004 01:14 PM

What effect might this have on Ivan's path?

TROPICAL WEATHER DISCUSSION
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
805 AM EDT THU 09 SEP 2004

...DISCUSSION...

GULF OF MEXICO...
NEARLY STATIONARY MID/UPPER LEVEL TROUGH REMAINS OVER THE CENTRAL GLFMEX EXTENDING SWD FROM T.D Frances NOW OVER THE EASTERN UNITED STATES TO THE BAY OF CAMPECHE. STRONG SUBSIDENCE
AND DRY AIR IN THE WESTERN FLANK OF THE TROUGH SUPPRESSING SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS...SAVE A SMALL AREA IN THE SOUTHWESTERN CORNER. DISSIPATING STATIONARY FRONT FROM NORTHEASTERN CORNER OF AREA...TO THE NORTH CENTRAL PART...TO 25N96W IN THE WEST CENTRAL GULF WATERS. THE MID-UPPER RIDGE CURRENTLY OVER FLORIDA WILL
BUILD WESTWARD PROVIDING AN IDEAL ENVIRONMENT FOR THE FORMATION OF CLOUDINESS AND SHOWERS/THUNDERSTORMS. MAIN BAND OF ACTIVITY
IS EXPECTED TO EXTEND FROM CENTRAL FLORIDA TO THE COAST OF MEXICO NEAR TAMPICO BY FRI MORNING. A SURFACE TROUGH RUNS FROM 26N84W TO 23N87W TO 20N90W IN THE YUCATAN PENINSULA.

--------------------
Survived Charley at Cat 4 under a staircase. Won't do that again. I watch SW Florida and Abaco primarily.

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Ivan Water Vapor Pics [Re: danielw]
      #24343 - Thu Sep 09 2004 01:17 PM

Good morning and welcome back! Missed this site for the past 6 days.
Great posts on the WV loops.
The dynamic which will dictate this storm's solution is much more visible than with Frances.
clearly the race is on between the trough approaching from the west and north west and the ridge still advancing in the ATL.
the trough into the GOM left behind by Frances will play a role in this, and could be the point of convergence. Mets today are talking rather confidently that this trough will dissipate today and then allow a more right turn to the storm...could be.
my attention will be to that area over the GOM all day. Right now it looks like it is setting up as the zone of convergence between the still advancing strong ridge to the north and east of the storm and the advancing trough over the midwest US.
Watch how the upper air flows in this zone and we could see what Ivan may do...I don't like what I see so far by the way...

--------------------
doug

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Florida Keys [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #24344 - Thu Sep 09 2004 01:19 PM

Ivan seems to have gone nearly due west for the last few hours. I know it is just a jog, but at the speed it is moving, each jog puts it well off course.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Re: Ivan Pics [Re: doug]
      #24345 - Thu Sep 09 2004 01:29 PM

1301Z Visible Close up of Ivan's eye; You don't get to see many CAT 5 visible. Thank goodness!

http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/GOES13012004253NeIU2w.jpg

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Florida Keys [Re: jth]
      #24346 - Thu Sep 09 2004 01:29 PM

I have friends vacationing in the Caymans. Have they been asked to evacuate yet? I still think Ivan will pass south of Jamaica and head towards West Cuba and then the SE GOM.

rickonboat
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Ivan tending a tad more west this morning [Re: jth]
      #24349 - Thu Sep 09 2004 01:38 PM

The last few frames, 4 or so, see a definite more move to the west than wnw...probably at the moment, moving wwnw...

Whether this holds...who knows. I would hate to be in Jamaica...

Worst case scenario is to slip through the Yucatan channel.

Can't get a feeling for this one...at all. I think with each passing day, the track will alter. In the last 24 hours, it has altered a lot. Any change in direction...(and there will be) will alter it more...

about 500 miles from Jamaica..and at 15 MPH.. (a perfect speed, really)...the hurricane will hit in the early evening tomorrow, in Jamaica.

Think the path will scrape the bottom, and they will get the worst of it...

we will see

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Ivan Strong Category 5. TD#10 Forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: Kimster]
      #24350 - Thu Sep 09 2004 01:42 PM

you are correct, after it banked up against the mountains in Mexico, it did turn and move through Texas and Okl.
The biggest change to the atmosphere that I remember, was the large upper level high that persisted over the Gulf, as TWC discussed it at the time.

Here is a great close up of Gilbert:
http://www.weathersatellite.info/gilbert.html
Tropical cyclone "rules"
http://www.wxrisk.com/hurricane/FrcstTechnq/forecastrules.html

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 170 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 49722

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center