F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
Fletch5150
Unregistered

Re: Trying to keep my chin up [Re: Rasvar]
      #24766 - Fri Sep 10 2004 03:25 PM

I agree the 5pm should shift right to be in line with most models. I was surprised they bumped it a little left at 11. As usual the NHC likes to follow the GFDL, so we may not see the shift unless that model bends more to the right. With the ridge building more to the West we may see this thing really slow down.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Steve hirschb.
Unregistered

Re: Ivan [Re: Colleen A.]
      #24767 - Fri Sep 10 2004 03:25 PM

Still W/O power in Palm Bay....yuck.......looks like Ivan has grown a bit in overall size, and a recent convective burst is occurring. He should move over Jamaica later, but as advertised, should re-strengthen when he gets past Jamaica. A dangerous hurricane. Should come in at or just south of Tampa and head NNE. GROANZZZZZZZZZZ!! I can't even get a cup of clean coffee!!

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Hurricane Ivan Paths [Re: Unregistered User]
      #24768 - Fri Sep 10 2004 03:27 PM Attachment (281 downloads)

I find it most interesting the NHC path...when almost all of the other models (see attachment) take Ivan more easterly...and eventually into the Atlantic (of course, across FL).

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Kdubs
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Good News/Bad News [Re: LI Phil]
      #24769 - Fri Sep 10 2004 03:29 PM

Does anyone have a link to pictures from Grenada? I hear about them a lot, but haven't found them on the net?

Thanks

--------------------
South Orlando
God Bless
A B C D E F G H I J K L
Bold = Reached hurricane status
Italics = Impacted Florida

rickonboat
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Sorry for ya'll [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #24770 - Fri Sep 10 2004 03:30 PM

Really am...and not wanting this thing to hit anyone. There doesn't seem to be any good scenario on the horizon, that I can see...except that the hurricane gets killed when it goes through Cuba....the long range forecast, however, seems a little in doubt. I sure have to hand it to the NHC...they are WAY ahead of the game..seem to have a great handle on what is going on. I will dispense with dire prediction of Mobile for the moment...anyone see anything out there, however, that would endanger my area?....hope for sure this doesn't do to Tampa..what the possibilities are....at any rate...here is a clip of the latest from the NHC...which is why I am wondering about things...

THERE IS STILL HIGH
CONFIDENCE IN THIS EARLY PORTION OF THE FORECAST BUT...IT BECOMES
UNCERTAIN AFTER THE HURRICANE CROSSES CUBA WHEN GUIDANCE SHOWS THAT
THE HURRICANE COULD CONTINUE OVER THE GULF OF MEXICO OR COULD TURN
NORTH-NORTHEAST OVER FLORIDA. IN FACT...THIS HAS BEEN THE CASE FOR
THE PAST COUPLE OF DAYS. THE OFFICIAL FORECAST DOES NOT FAVOR ONE
SCENARIO MORE THAN THE OTHER...AND BRINGS THE HURRICANE NORTHWARD
OVER THE GULF OF MEXICO VERY NEAR AND EVENTUALLY OVER FLORIDA.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Ivan [Re: Steve hirschb.]
      #24771 - Fri Sep 10 2004 03:32 PM

Oh Steve! I was so worried about you! Glad to hear you're okay...although without power. Yuck is right.

So, now they throw in some "shearing" to the mix. Why don't we throw in a couple of eggs, some water and make a doggone cake while we're at it!!! Ack!

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Re: Good News/Bad News [Re: Colleen A.]
      #24772 - Fri Sep 10 2004 03:33 PM Attachment (395 downloads)

Morning Colleen!

FWIW, here's the accuwx pro graphic featuring 2 possible track scenarios...and ain't neither of them good (click attachment)

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Kal
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Space Coast
Re: Hurricane Ivan Paths [Re: LI Phil]
      #24773 - Fri Sep 10 2004 03:34 PM

Think the NHC is still leaning a little on the FSU ensemble Phil? If it's still trending west maybe they are hedging their bets to some degree. The slight left shift at 11am surprised me, given the latest model runs available to the public. I completely expected a move eastward. Guess it's a good thing I'm a historian and not a weatherman.

Kdubs
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Ivan [Re: Steve hirschb.]
      #24774 - Fri Sep 10 2004 03:34 PM

Quote:

Still W/O power in Palm Bay....yuck.......looks like Ivan has grown a bit in overall size, and a recent convective burst is occurring. He should move over Jamaica later, but as advertised, should re-strengthen when he gets past Jamaica. A dangerous hurricane. Should come in at or just south of Tampa and head NNE. GROANZZZZZZZZZZ!! I can't even get a cup of clean coffee!!

Hang in there, Palm Bay. I was without power in Orlando for 5 days and people in Kissimmee were without for almost 2 weeks. It will get better though. Fortunately, the 7-11 on the corner had hot coffee available (even though the line - and I'm not exaggerating - circled the store 2 times).

Good luck, you are in our prayers.

--------------------
South Orlando
God Bless
A B C D E F G H I J K L
Bold = Reached hurricane status
Italics = Impacted Florida

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Ivan Paths [Re: LI Phil]
      #24775 - Fri Sep 10 2004 03:36 PM

Why do they say "CLOSE TO AND EVENTUALLY RIGHT OVER FLORIDA" and then shift the track to the left? Why don't they just leave the stupid thing there until the next update. Maybe they should only change the track twice a day, instead of 4 times a day.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

SoonerShawn
Unregistered

Curious! [Re: LI Phil]
      #24776 - Fri Sep 10 2004 03:39 PM

I have to ask this question so I can learn because I get lost when it comes to troughs versus ridges. We know we have a high that is sitting a little to the west of Texas that appears to be building to the east and southeast. We know about the high that is close to Florida and seems to be building to the west. Then we have the trough in the middle of the two highs that seems to be pretty close to Florida. My question is this; can two highs building in from opposite directions squeeze a trough and cause the trough to begin to retreat north? I know to many that this is a very dumb question but the only way for me to continue to learn is to ask it.

By the way, this has NOTHING to do about wishcasting Ivan to Texas. There is 0% of that happening and I don't want him here anyway.

This question just came to me as I was watching the WV loops and seeing how the trough seemed to be getting squashed by the two highs.

ShawnS

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Ivan Paths [Re: Kal]
      #24777 - Fri Sep 10 2004 03:40 PM

>>> Think the NHC is still leaning a little on the FSU ensemble Phil?

Excellent question...since I'm not a paying customer of their's, I'm not sure WHAT their take is...unfortunately, even if I DID know, I couldn't tell you anyway...that being said, I think you probably are hitting the nail squarely on the head...why else would their track be so much further west than all but the GFDL? You may be an historian, but you also have a pretty good sixth sense.

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: Good News/Bad News [Re: LI Phil]
      #24779 - Fri Sep 10 2004 03:42 PM

Can they come up with one that says "GOOD"?

--------------------

ROB H
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Clearwater, FL.
Re: Tampa bays worst nightmare [Re: Kal]
      #24780 - Fri Sep 10 2004 03:43 PM

The latest track from the NHC is the worst case scenario for
the Tampa bay area. It would devastate pinellas county and
cause massive flooding in areas that are not already under
water.

Eric_in_SC
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Ivan Paths [Re: Steve hirschb.]
      #24781 - Fri Sep 10 2004 03:48 PM

Thanks to all the folks who took the time to respond to my question about where to evacuate to from Charleston, SC if the necessity arises. I really appreciate the insights.

I am in an area where I don't really have any water concerns - but my house is completely surrounded by trees. Every big gust of wind causes my heart to skip a beat.

As a former resident of Jax, FL, I send my prayers to all residents of that great state.

Eric_in_SC

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Ivan Paths [Re: Eric_in_SC]
      #24782 - Fri Sep 10 2004 03:57 PM

Ivan appears to have jogged west again and may actually just miss Jamaica to the south. Jamaica was my barometer. If it goes south of Jamaica, then I think it could quite possibly becaome a north central to NE Gulf hit. MS, AL, FL.

Another question....what is supposed to cause the shear? If it is the trough, what happens if the trough does not dig as far south??? Does Ivan mainatin strength til landfall?

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Ridges and Troughs [Re: SoonerShawn]
      #24783 - Fri Sep 10 2004 03:57 PM

simple explanation

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

andy1tom
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Callaway, Florida
Re: Hurricane Ivan Paths [Re: Colleen A.]
      #24784 - Fri Sep 10 2004 03:57 PM

collen,
remember that the panhandle is part of florida too even if most refer to us as lower ala. i am curious as to how much the forcast is off on the jamaica hit. if it is farther west and doesn't make that northern turn soon the panhandle could be the bullseye but the west coast is still gonna get hammered too. remember with francis we keep waiting for that north turn that never came. also one thing to remember is this year they are doing that 5 day thing instead of 3 so their forecast are gonna change more on the longer time frame

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re: Hurricane Ivan Paths [Re: andy1tom]
      #24785 - Fri Sep 10 2004 04:04 PM

That is sooo right. that 5 day forecast creates lower confidence for days 4 & 5. Even so, with Ivan I would expect that n-NE turn at some point so I would not expect the panhandle to bear the brunt. Yes, it would be impacted- but not directly.

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

Edited by rmbjoe1954 (Fri Sep 10 2004 04:10 PM)

Storm Cooper
User

Reged:
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: Hurricane Ivan Paths [Re: andy1tom]
      #24786 - Fri Sep 10 2004 04:05 PM

If it travels to the south of Jamaica I would be a little more concerned for the panhandle.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 58 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 49060

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center