F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
NWS Discussion @ 8:46am [Re: Droop31]
      #36706 - Fri Jun 10 2005 01:10 PM

Just read the updated discussion for the Tampa area. Looks like they plan on "upping" the rain %'s and possibly extending and/or expanding the Flood Watch, but they want to wait for the 88D's, whatever they are, before doing that. They are also concerned about "spinups" in our area.
Didn't want to paste & copy the whole thing, just pare it down to the bare minimum of what's really the meat of the discussion.
It's getting breezy here and you can tell Arlene is getting closer....or at least her bands are getting closer.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Chat last night [Re: LI Phil]
      #36707 - Fri Jun 10 2005 01:11 PM

Chat was fun last night... we should do it again! Anyway, speaking of last night... I was just flipping channels and saw a lead for CNN Headline News where they mentioned the baby boom. A 26% increase in the number of births from last year... amazing!

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Chat last night [Re: Terra]
      #36708 - Fri Jun 10 2005 01:13 PM

Quote:

Chat was fun last night... we should do it again! Anyway, speaking of last night... I was just flipping channels and saw a lead for CNN Headline News where they mentioned the baby boom. A 26% increase in the number of births from last year... amazing!

... well, you know about power failures and CHEMISTRY, don't you Doctor?

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re:Arlene Update [Re: LI Phil]
      #36709 - Fri Jun 10 2005 01:16 PM

Is it me or does it seem that the center has reformed NE of the NHC position and closer to the t-storms. It certainly looks like that on sat pics. Could be my eyes playing tricks. It wouldn't change much except maybe up the intensity a little bit.

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: Chat last night [Re: Ricreig]
      #36710 - Fri Jun 10 2005 01:17 PM

Maybe I'm just weird (or single) but that would be the last thing on my mind when the electricity is out (i.e. no air conditioner) and I'm worried that the storm would cause damage!

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: The Arlene Situation [Re: Unregistered User]
      #36711 - Fri Jun 10 2005 01:18 PM

Quote:

A bit OT, but I'll ask anyway... ;-)

Last year I thought the coolest feature on this site was the chart that combined the projected path, the cone of death, and the pridicted wind speeds, all on a map that showed the roads, towns, etc. I hope that explanation is enough to jog memories. Will this type of map be back for this year? I hope so!!!

I believe this is what you are looking for:

Yes, these maps will be back at CFHC this year. Note that these maps are created when a hurricane is within 2 or 3 days of landfall.

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Chat last night [Re: Terra]
      #36712 - Fri Jun 10 2005 01:20 PM

Quote:

Maybe I'm just weird (or single) but that would be the last thing on my mind when the electricity is out (i.e. no air conditioner) and I'm worried that the storm would cause damage!

I doubt DURING the storm was the time frame that all of the 'accidental chemistry' occurred ... and if the air conditioning is off, well, you're already 'hot', aren't you? Doesn't that increase the intensity of 'chemical' reactions?

richard

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re:Arlene Update [Re: jth]
      #36713 - Fri Jun 10 2005 01:21 PM

Nevermind....It was my eyes playing tricks. She certainly is moving at a much faster clip now though and the NW quadrant is starting to come into its own a little bit. We could still see her make minimal cane status. Phil don't eat that crow just yet.

Droop31
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola
      #36714 - Fri Jun 10 2005 01:22 PM

I see what your saying JTH, Im not to sure myself. Looks like she went due north from the western tip of Cuba since last night. Im guessing there is supposed to be a turn to the NNW or NW later on in the day, but thats anyones guess right now. 06Z GFDL seems to be on target predicting this movement north, then turning NW towards MS/AL.

Droop31
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re:Arlene Update [Re: Droop31]
      #36715 - Fri Jun 10 2005 01:23 PM

What direction is she going. Im not looking at any loops at the moment so could you give me and estimate of motion. Thanks.

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #36716 - Fri Jun 10 2005 01:25 PM

If I saw it correctly this last time, she is moving NNW. She appears to be crossing 85W now.

Droop31
Weather Watcher

Reged:
      #36717 - Fri Jun 10 2005 01:28 PM

Thanks

Cocoa Beach
Unregistered

#36718 - Fri Jun 10 2005 01:29 PM

Good Link to watch:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=42003

Wind Direction (WDIR): NE ( 40 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 27.2 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 31.1 kts
Wave Height (WVHT): 7.9 ft
Dominant Wave Period (DPD): 7 sec
Average Period (APD): 5.1 sec
Mean Wave Direction (MWDIR): E ( 96 deg true )
Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 29.69 in
Pressure Tendency (PTDY): -0.04 in ( Falling )
Air Temperature (ATMP): 77.5 °F
Water Temperature (WTMP): 81.1 °F
Dew Point (DEWP): 74.7 °F
Heat Index (HEAT): 79.3 °F

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
      #36719 - Fri Jun 10 2005 01:33 PM

I think your right about that N move, http://www.boatus.com/hurricanes/hurricane_field.asp

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Colleen A.

Reged:
      #36720 - Fri Jun 10 2005 01:35 PM

It's almost impossible to see what direction she's heading in...NHC says NNW, so I guess she's going NNW. Maybe she will begin that eventual turn to the NW soon, who knows. Or she might just ride right up the eastern side of the Cone of Death. I look at it this way: she's still moving in a more northernly fashion. While this really didn't matter when she was out in the open waters, it DOES matter now because as long as she's on that course, the worse the weather in Florida will be. I am actually surprised that with her being that close to the Keys that they have not put up TS Warnings for that area. But what do I know?
As the old saying goes, "Time will tell."

p.s...they do have up TS Warnings for the Dry Tortugas. Just saw that on TWC. They also said it looks like it's trying to form a CDO, just north of Cuba.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

bamffl
Unregistered

Re: The Arlene Situation [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #36721 - Fri Jun 10 2005 01:39 PM

SkeetoBite, that was it, thanks!

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re:Arlene Update [Re: Colleen A.]
      #36722 - Fri Jun 10 2005 01:40 PM

>>> p.s...they do have up TS Warnings for the Dry Tortugas. Just saw that on TWC. They also said it looks like it's trying to form a CDO, just north of Cuba.

well...it was bill keneely who said that, not jon nese...so we'll see if that actually takes place...as far as her movement, i still think it's nnw, but that boatus graphic tas posted certainly looks like a due north jog...

i still wouldn't be worried about winds from this, but the rains and the potential for severe weather within the bands are definitely going to have an impact

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
      #36723 - Fri Jun 10 2005 01:41 PM

Tropical storm warnings remain in effect for western Cuba from Pinar del Rio to Havana and for the Dry Tortugas

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #36724 - Fri Jun 10 2005 01:43 PM

That formation of the CDO is what is making it look like she is reforming, but she is still chugging along on a NNNW direction.

That said, she is definitely east of her forecast position.

Edited by jth (Fri Jun 10 2005 01:46 PM)

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re:Arlene Update [Re: LI Phil]
      #36725 - Fri Jun 10 2005 01:46 PM

That's true...but you can look at the radar and see what they mean by "trying" to form a CDO. Wouldn't that mean that *if* that is happening it's not entrained in all that dry air to it's west but in a more favorable environment for development, like say, further east? I'm not worried about the winds, I'm more worried about getting more rain than anyone needs, especially since half the county has roofs dressed in blue.
The last time that site was updated was 8:02am. It'll be interesting to see where it is next. That's a pretty awesome website. Another one to add to my favorites!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 230 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 42812

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center