F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
bob67
Unregistered

Re: Arlene Likely to Become a Minimal Hurricane Tonight [Re: HCW]
      #36930 - Sat Jun 11 2005 01:30 AM

does everyone think that people are taking this storm as serious as they should?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Arlene Likely to Become a Minimal Hurricane Tonight [Re: Jeffmidtown]
      #36931 - Sat Jun 11 2005 01:31 AM

Quote:

Here in Atlanta, it looks like the mets are hedging their bets and downplaying this as a minor rain event here in Atlanta, But my gut feeling tells me that we may get some significant rain out of this somewhere between 3-6" before it's all said and done. We'll see how they play it when the 11pm comes out.....

I agree, 3 to 6 " of rain is not that big of deal compared to 10" to 15" of rain that could fall. That seems like quite of a risk TWC is taking. Tropical storms notoriously drop more rain then hurricanes.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Storm Cooper
User

Reged:
Loc: Panama City , FL
      #36932 - Sat Jun 11 2005 01:32 AM

I am sure you are correct with that.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
TWC Arlene Coverage [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #36933 - Sat Jun 11 2005 01:38 AM

Living up on LI, I don't get the local coverage you guys get, so i'm basically reduced to TWC for my tv info...the imminent Dr. Steve Lyons just came on and announced that Arlene "will not be another Ivan". i'm so glad we have him around because otherwise us yankees would be in the dark...

on another note, TWC just mentioned that they are going to be reporting on a home that was constructed just because of hurricanes...dome home maybe? that would be a cool segment...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Prospero
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Gulfport, FL
Re: Arlene Likely to Become a Minimal Hurricane Tonight [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #36934 - Sat Jun 11 2005 01:39 AM

Looks like we are in for some heavy rain here in Sun City Center within the next hour or so.
As fast as it is moving I'd say some wind too.

--------------------
Gulfport Florida Webcam - Gulfport Florida Weather Station - Clearwater Beach Cams

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #36935 - Sat Jun 11 2005 01:39 AM

I have a feeling this storm's not going to make a complete landfall, instead going to partially ride the coast around the periphery of the GOM ridge. Much like Allison only in the other direction.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

mbfly
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Mobile, Alabama
Re: Arlene Likely to Become a Minimal Hurricane Tonight [Re: bob67]
      #36936 - Sat Jun 11 2005 01:40 AM

Quote:

does everyone think that people are taking this storm as serious as they should?

Most of the people I know here were NOT ! I think a lot of people are going to be caught by surprise because they were blowing this off (pun intended) I guess it's too late now to say I was thinking cat 1 all along, but I'm still hopin' for east of Mobile (sorry p'cola !)

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
OT [Re: LI Phil]
      #36937 - Sat Jun 11 2005 01:43 AM

Quote:

Living up on LI, I don't get the local coverage you guys get, so i'm basically reduced to TWC for my tv info...the imminent Dr. Steve Lyons just came on and announced that Arlene "will not be another Ivan". i'm so glad we have him around because otherwise us yankees would be in the dark...

on another note, TWC just mentioned that they are going to be reporting on a home that was constructed just because of hurricanes...dome home maybe? that would be a cool segment...

I would bet you a dollar hand if I was a betting man that the newspapers up on LI will say tomorrow on the front cover that this a bad omen for us.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Tornado Watch [Re: MikeC]
      #36938 - Sat Jun 11 2005 02:14 AM

Weather Radio (or batphone as Colleen called it last year) just went off, Tornado watch has been issued for most of the west central Florida coastal counties, however it does strech in as far as Polk and Sumter counties. In effect until 8am, thanks to Arlene and her associated convection.

--------------------
"Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get"
- Robert A. Heinlein

jth home
Unregistered

Re: Tornado Watch [Re: Jamiewx]
      #36939 - Sat Jun 11 2005 02:18 AM

center very evident on PCB radar. Due south of PCB now.

Ryan
Unregistered

Re: OT [Re: Keith234]
      #36940 - Sat Jun 11 2005 02:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I would bet you a dollar hand if I was a betting man that the newspapers up on LI will say tomorrow on the front cover that this a bad omen for us.

do you mean that even long island will get some heavy rain..bevuase thats where-I-be..haha thanks

long island is not the greatest place to be a weather fanatic huh?

hey any of you think theres a chance for long island to get a hurricane or T.S this season..please let me know

..ryan

livin' the long island life....

Londovir
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: OT [Re: Ryan]
      #36941 - Sat Jun 11 2005 02:44 AM

Don't know anything about LI, but I noted on the news just a few minutes ago that doppler is picking up some telltale rotations offshore to the south of Naples heading northward at a fair clip, possible indication of tornadic activity. Going to be quite a fun night in S and W Central Florida.

Yay...

--------------------
Londovir

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
slow pitch [Re: jth home]
      #36942 - Sat Jun 11 2005 02:45 AM

arlene has really been playing softball with us all along. tightly clustered model runs during its entire life, intensity not far out of the realm of expectations... forward speed has been more or less what the NHC called for also (maybe slower than forecast at first, but Arlene picked up the slack today). it's still got that lopsided profile that rabbit and others were progging, and it doesn't seem to be shaking it. the upper limit of intensity for storms like that was probably well represented by earl in 1998... an atypical cat 2 that came in as a 1. Arlene is more than likely coming in as a one.. maybe even at perdido key like i was reckoning (knock on wood, hombres). weather will all be over in places like.. oh, escambia, santa rosa, okaloosa counties.. walton, bay.. damn i know those counties almost by heart. inland south alabama.. it's coming fast enough that towns like brewton, atmore, monroeville... probably a breezy afternoon and evening. probably lots of severe weather as it goes north and weakens.. it will get to fairly high latitude with a good bit of its upper circulation intact (ohio, indiana, etc).. bank right.. dump good rains even though it's really trucking.. and i'm betting some severe weather as the upper winds get stronger out of the west and all that deep tropical moisture is charging north. sunday and monday should feature more Arlene inspired severe weather, which the hpc will document (and the weather channel will credit to the 'remnants of Arlene'). you guys know the drill.
pretty much everybody got Arlene right, 'cause Arlene hasn't been playing games with us. middle of the plate, up in the zone, not too much heat.. yeah, this one's almost out of the park. 'course, you folks in pensacola (or poor rickonboat, regretting his newfound ability to have his predictions come at least partially true).. probably don't see it my lackadaiscal way. at least it's only june.. a similar storm in august would have nobody close to amused.
prolly crack hurricane by daybreak officially (some recon obs suggest it already passed the threshhold).. so whoever has the closest date to june 10th/11th for first hurricane gets the trophy. way to guess. beat me by a mostly month.. er 4 weeks.
droop, haul out the camera, and drop us some scans if you can shoot anything worthwhile tomorrow.
later y'all.
HF 0344z11june

mbfly
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Mobile, Alabama
Re: Tornado Watch [Re: jth home]
      #36943 - Sat Jun 11 2005 02:45 AM

Is the convection dying down as it appears to be ? Does this mean it is weakening or just that it will die down some at night and flare back up again in the a.m. ?? And, I still don't see that much of a west movement...... looks like it's still going pretty north to me.

Heather
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Sebring, FL
Re: Tornado Watch [Re: mbfly]
      #36944 - Sat Jun 11 2005 02:53 AM

Quote:

Is the convection dying down as it appears to be ? Does this mean it is weakening or just that it will die down some at night and flare back up again in the a.m. ?? And, I still don't see that much of a west movement...... looks like it's still going pretty north to me.

North with a hint of west, maybe...

--------------------
When it rains, it pours...

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: slow pitch [Re: HanKFranK]
      #36945 - Sat Jun 11 2005 02:55 AM

HF hit the nail on the head with it all. Closest prediction, first storm or hurricane, that I could gleam from the list was the birthday boy, Keith234, who called first storm on June 10th.

11pm is coming out now...hurricane warning from Pascagoula to Destin; pressure 989mb, winds still 70mph but projected to 75mph at landfall.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Arlene a Tropical Storm still [Re: mbfly]
      #36946 - Sat Jun 11 2005 02:55 AM

still a TS at 11

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: slow pitch [Re: HanKFranK]
      #36947 - Sat Jun 11 2005 02:56 AM

Quote:

so whoever has the closest date to june 10th/11th for first hurricane gets the trophy.
HF 0344z11june

well the 11 is out and Arlene is still a TS...birthday boy keith came ever so close to nailing the EXACT date (assuming she is upgraded at some point tomorrow)

so my bet with jason is still in play....he's drawing blind and holding a pair of bullets, not knowing i already hold a flush... but he could still bluff me out of the pot on the river

thought FER SHER they'd make her cane Arlene...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

HCW
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Mobile,AL
Re: Tornado Watch [Re: mbfly]
      #36948 - Sat Jun 11 2005 02:57 AM

HURRICANE WARNING PASCAGOULA MS TO DESTIN FL

--------------------
Over 4,000 members and now on a new server

http://www.hardcoreweather.com

javlin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Biloxi,MS
Re: I see a Trend [Re: LI Phil]
      #36949 - Sat Jun 11 2005 03:05 AM

The storm I think has finally found the ridge the cor.for the day go
24N 84.9W
>1.0 >.1
25N 85W
>.7 >.2
25.7N 85.2W
>.7 >.4
26.4N 85.6W
>.7 >.5
27.1N 86.1W

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 70 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 21295

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center