F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: slow pitch [Re: LI Phil]
      #36951 - Sat Jun 11 2005 03:08 AM

Quote:

so my bet with jason is still in play....he's drawing blind and holding a pair of bullets, not knowing i already hold a flush... but he could still bluff me out of the pot on the river

thought FER SHER they'd make her cane Arlene...

Little did you know that I invested heavily in Dynagel...we are seeding as we speak....LOL (just kidding)

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FlaMommy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Tampa(Riverview), Florida
Re: Tornado Watch [Re: HCW]
      #36952 - Sat Jun 11 2005 03:09 AM

ok im a dummy...i accidently deleted my post instead of reposting it...anyways was wondering if any tornadic activity around the riverview area....thanks

i just missed the first storm date....june 17th...

--------------------
"Haven't thought of a witty one lately"

Londovir
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Tornado Watch [Re: FlaMommy]
      #36953 - Sat Jun 11 2005 03:11 AM

As far as I saw on the news with Paul Delegato on Fox13, no, don't believe so...there's a heavy squal line offshore to the south of Naples, from what he showed on the tv. VIPER showed some suspicious rotation markers in the wind fields that they were keeping an eye on, but the majority of that stuff was offshore and moving towards Naples.

I got the impression it's just going to be a long night of lots of wind, rain, and prolly some good lightning shows to boot.

--------------------
Londovir

jth home
Unregistered

Re: slow pitch [Re: wxman007]
      #36954 - Sat Jun 11 2005 03:11 AM

JK...I am back leaning toward a Mobile landfall. What is your current thinking. Also, think again that she may strengthen a little more than expected.

Littlebit
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Plant City, FL
      #36955 - Sat Jun 11 2005 03:14 AM

I haven't heard of any tornadic activity either. Here in Plant City we're getting some decent wind gusts and a little rain off and on, but that's about it so far.

RedingtonBeachGuy

Reged:
Loc: St. Cloud, FL
Re: slow pitch [Re: wxman007]
      #36956 - Sat Jun 11 2005 03:18 AM

Quote:

Little did you know that I invested heavily in Dynagel...we are seeding as we speak....LOL (just kidding)

My Mr. Sandman company is doing quite well. We run to areas that are going to be affected by the storm and makeup sandbags on the spot for homeowners charging $4 a bag (automated - tie and all). I can roll out 1,100 an hour with 4 men. The reponse has been overwhelming but I have only done it part-time. Maybe this would be a good year to go full-time, huh? LOL

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
IR [Re: Littlebit]
      #36957 - Sat Jun 11 2005 03:18 AM

Check it out... in the last frames of the IR it looks like Arlene lost a bit of her tail... it's now spinning off in the penisula of Florida!

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-ir4-loop.html

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

FlaMommy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Tornado Watch [Re: Littlebit]
      #36958 - Sat Jun 11 2005 03:21 AM

thanks you guys...we havent had much wind gusts surprisingly....but thank you again...glad to know we are in clear as of now

--------------------

Heather
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Sebring, FL
      #36959 - Sat Jun 11 2005 03:26 AM

Weather is changing ever so slightly here, it was so still, now a bit breezy. Looks like some band or something is just entering my county.

That must be the "tail" slamming into Naples.

--------------------
When it rains, it pours...

Littlebit
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Plant City, FL
      #36960 - Sat Jun 11 2005 03:26 AM

We're under a tornado watch until 8:00am. Flood watch also.

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: slow pitch [Re: jth home]
      #36961 - Sat Jun 11 2005 03:27 AM

My forecast, and forecast reasoning is unchanged...still sticking to a Mobile-ish landfall tomorrow as a strong TS.

Stewart wrote a very good disco tonight, BTW...everyone should check it out...

--------------------
Jason Kelley

jws1332
Unregistered

Re: Tornado Watch [Re: Heather]
      #36962 - Sat Jun 11 2005 03:28 AM

Check out the newest discussion in the 11pm advisory. West-northwest movement of possible new center.

FlaMommy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Tornado Watch [Re: jws1332]
      #36963 - Sat Jun 11 2005 03:30 AM

ok a little off topic once again...but...when do u think the next storm will be?...any guesses?

--------------------

Londovir
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Tornado Watch [Re: jws1332]
      #36964 - Sat Jun 11 2005 03:31 AM

Which brings up an interesting point...it wouldn't take much westward drift to the forecast track to take it towards New Orleans...where even a TS would be a bad thing indeed...

I seriously doubt it will move more west, but given the wobbles that Stewart alluded to, I wouldn't let my guard down either, even if they aren't in the cone of doom right now.

--------------------
Londovir

jws1332
Unregistered

Re: Tornado Watch [Re: Londovir]
      #36965 - Sat Jun 11 2005 03:33 AM

Remember what Georges did in 1998. It was heading straight for New Orleans and made a wobble due north and stayed on that path.

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
      #36966 - Sat Jun 11 2005 03:34 AM

what little upper-level support Arlene had an hour ago has completely collapsed and the convection is now rapidly weakening

Arlene has peaked, and i think it will hit with 60-65 mph winds

Arlene will not make it to hurricane intensity

JustMe
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
      #36967 - Sat Jun 11 2005 03:35 AM

north west movement is nice
why are they evacuating Mississippi coast?

stay safe everyone

--------------------

I have survived Betsy Miss, Camille Miss., Andrew Fl, Charley Fl, Frances FL, Jeanne FL,

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
      #36968 - Sat Jun 11 2005 03:36 AM

Quote:

ok a little off topic once again...but...when do u think the next storm will be?...any guesses?

lets get thru Arlene (there are still a LARGE number of people YET to be affected by her)...

bret will come...but we will deal with that when the time comes...for now...

arlene remains our focus

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Arlene Likely to Become a Minimal Hurricane Tonight [Re: MikeC]
      #36969 - Sat Jun 11 2005 03:37 AM

Last one before heading out: 11p discussion by Stacy Stewart is a good read. Check it out on the NHC's page. Somewhere around Pensacola still looks good in my bet. The center is visible on Tallahassee and Northwest Florida long-range radar. I recommend using the new RIDGE radar displays, at:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/tlh_long.html and
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/evx_long.html

When you look at a static image, you can click on a location on the coast and then move your mouse to the center of the storm. The distance finder at the bottom will tell you how far the center is from the coast on-the-fly, a pretty handy tool. For instance: the radar tells me the center is 175mi south of Destin right now and 185mi south-southeast of Pensacola.

Anyway, what I wanted to point out is that despite the recent convective trends on satellite, the IR imagery is hinting at the eye feature becoming better defined. It is visible at least half-way on the aforementioned radars, the locations of which match the satellite image well. The dry air to the south will remain present to too large of a degree to allow for a significant intensification of the system as a whole (or of anything on the south side of the storm), but cat. 1 intensity at landfall is well within the realm of possibility.

High-resolution SST imagery available at: http://fermi.jhuapl.edu/avhrr/gm/averages/05jun/gm_05jun10_0256_multi.png shows that the convective weakening trend is likely due to the end of the diurnal minimum cycle plus the cooler SSTs over the south end of Apalachee Bay. Some of the warmest waters in the Gulf lie ahead of the storm south of Pensacola. This westward jog doesn't help things. The fast forward motion means that it may not be all that significant, but with the diurnal convective maximum cycle to come over the next 8-12hr plus the move into SSTs that are about 3-5 deg warmer than where the storm is now, it is something to take note of during the overnight.

The storm will likely start to affect the Panhandle with some stronger rain bands in the next few hours; already regions from Panama City to Tallahassee are seeing more of the rain bands that characterized the day on Friday. It's all downhill for those locations for the next 12-18hr, to improve late night Saturday. Rainfall amounts should still be in the 3-5" range, with some locally heavy amounts. Further down the state, one of the feeder bands from Arlene is stretched along the coast from Tampa to the Keys, with the band along the coast responsible for some special marine warnings. Isolated waterspouts and weak tornadoes are possible through the overnight hours with this band. Areas in the vicinity of this band may see a couple of inches of rain before all is said and done as well.

Those of you between Pascagoula and Destin...hunker down. The worst is still yet to come...

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Tornado Watch [Re: Rabbit]
      #36970 - Sat Jun 11 2005 03:38 AM

>>> Arlene will not make it to hurricane intensity

dammit rabbit...don't start bringing out your evil hex when i'm "this close" to winning a buck from a real met...

if i lose this bet, there will be rabbit stew along with my usual crow...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 251 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 21305

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center