F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
meto
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Pressure drop! [Re: Steve H1]
      #50629 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:11 PM

yes im afraid we will have two monsters on our hands. in a few days, the waver near 11.0 and the one just about to exit. and they both will be south of c.v.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
javlin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Biloxi,MS
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: Frank P]
      #50630 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:12 PM

Look at the GHCC site Frank looking 24.5'N and 84.7'W maybe that dreaded "w" world but I did the 10:45 shot and the 11:15 both just alittle further N.

http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/

I know what you mean tracks I would suspect should deviate little E and W from here on out.

Edited by javlin (Sat Aug 27 2005 12:14 PM)

Sneakbridge
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Highlands County, Florida
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: javlin]
      #50631 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:17 PM

That looks quite awful for N.O. then. Hopefully it will weaken some. I was very surprised it didn't lose more over the southern tip of Florida. That travel over land didn't seem to bother Katrina at all.

javlin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Biloxi,MS
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: ralphfl]
      #50632 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:20 PM

Some wind shear forcast maps out to 72hrs not the best conditions but also not all that bad.When she builds a little more she might create some of her own enviroment.

http://www.wunderground.com/data/640x480/atlm_shear.gif

JG
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: Sneakbridge]
      #50633 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:28 PM

Quote:

That looks quite awful for N.O. then. Hopefully it will weaken some. I was very surprised it didn't lose more over the southern tip of Florida. That travel over land didn't seem to bother Katrina at all.

Travel over the Everglades is not like moving over Central Florida. It does not degrade hurricanes very much.

SirCane
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola, FL
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: javlin]
      #50635 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:32 PM

From experience with Dennis and Ivan, both storms ended up further East than what was projected. Can't go by the models. Everyone up here should be prepared. Ivan was projected to hit the MS/AL line and ended up hitting the AL/FL line. Dennis was expected to hit Mobile (the West side of AL) and he hit one country to the East of Pensacola.

--------------------
Direct Hits:
Hurricane Erin (1995) 100 mph
Hurricane Opal (1995) 115 mph
Hurricane Ivan (2004) 130 mph
Hurricane Dennis (2005) 120 mph
http://www.hardcoreweather.com

susieq
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Panhandle
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: SirCane]
      #50636 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:35 PM

The models are shifting a bit eastward again...

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200512_model.html

--------------------
Gulf Breeze girl still not over Ivan

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
      #50637 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:35 PM

FYI.... Cantore is in Biloxi.... Stephanie Abrams in Gulf Shores....

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
      #50638 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:36 PM

>>From exprience with Dennis and Ivan, both storms ended up further East than what was projected. Can't go by the models. Everyone up here should be prepared.

I agree with that. Even if the 5am landfall track held, you guys all the way to Ft. Walton & Destin would be in on at least close to tropical storm winds. I thnk she's going in east of here but not as far east as I originally thought. If I'm anywhere between Cocodrie and Destin right now, I'm weighing my options and figuring out what I'm going to do. I gotta go to the store this morning then hook up with my dad to find out what his final decision is then clean up the yard of debris. I'm sure most of you on the northern Gulf can relate.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
      #50639 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:39 PM

Wow..what a horrible day to be boarding up..95 degrees, I can't wait...this track reminds me so much of Ivan, and I really hate it that we are just about to lose long range radar....unlike Dennis thou, there has been no recent upwelling of water in the Gulf and the temps all the way to the coast are very warm..and the slow speed is going to create a huge storm surge for somebody, possibly all across the central and NE gulf coast

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: Frank P]
      #50640 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:42 PM

three observations:
that has got to be one of the weirdest wind/pressure relationships i've seen. the storm has been steadily intensifying.. the pressure has fallen to a level more commonly associated with 145mph winds. it is barely category 3 by recon data. there is usually some lag in wind/pressure.. but not like that.
radar obs out of key west are showing a strange inner core structure. the station is far away, but the echoes indicate concentric eyewall type-structure.. with a tiny inner eyewall, a huge gap in the rain shield, then an outer eyewall.
pair these structural oddities and it has me thinking that the storm has entrained a ton of subsidence. there is more feeding from the north.. but this first patch that it started on yesterday is mostly sucked down and probably being worked out. in spite of that the pressure continues to fall. Katrina will probably go through an eyewall replacement cycle and adjust to a more conventional wind/pressure relationship in the coming hours.
i'll respond to something ralph said earlier about weakening... that hurricanes past their peak tend to weaken as they near the shore. when you look at the climatology of recurving hurricanes in the gulf, their weakening phase usually begins as they pass the ridge axis. the ridge axis right now is right along the coast.. and is forecast for the coming days to remain pretty much at the coast or just south of it. of the comparisons given.. Opal was an october hurricane that was caught by the trough that had been baroclinically enhancing it and sheared badly, and Ivan passed the ridge axis a couple of days before landfall and had a good while to spin down. on the forecast track Katrina will be passing the ridge axis as it makes landfall, so by that token it would be very close to maximum intensity.
as of right now the subsidence entrainment should continue for the next day or so, peaking again late today. after that (sunday into monday) the environment should be very close to ideal for Katrina to intensify. i wouldn't be surprised if Katrina approaches or reaches category 5 at some point on sunday.
going to hang tight at the ms/al border. that's what i should have been doing all along. going to stick w/ a strong 3 because it's a compromise between original ideas and what i'd forecast now.
HF 1242z27august

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sat Aug 27 2005 02:28 PM)

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: pcola]
      #50641 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:44 PM

Quote:

Wow..what a horrible day to be boarding up..95 degrees, I can't wait...this track reminds me so much of Ivan, and I really hate it that we are just about to lose long range radar....unlike Dennis thou, there has been no recent upwelling of water in the Gulf and the temps all the way to the coast are very warm..and the slow speed is going to create a huge storm surge for somebody, possibly all across the central and NE gulf coast

I think you can wait until tomorrow to board up in Pensacola - maybe, anyway - from the standpoint of having time to just board up (if you're not going anywhere but just putting boards up). I *really* hope that Katrina does not hit Pensacola. Nothing against New Orleans, but Pensacola still has not fully recovered from Ivan and, well, Pensacola landfall would put me just outside of the really nasty stuff (140+ MPH winds projected).

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

SirCane
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: susieq]
      #50642 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:45 PM

Thanks susie. Goes to show these models still don't really have a good handle still. It's going to depend on when the North turn takes place and I expect a NNE turn could happen before landfall.

--------------------
Direct Hits:

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: HanKFranK]
      #50643 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:49 PM

Quote:

caught by the trough that had been baroclinically enhancing it and sheared badly, and Ivan passed the ridge axis a couple of days before landfall and had a good while to spin down. on the forecast track Katrina will be passing the ridge axis as it makes landfall, so by that token it would be very close to maximum intensity.
as of right now the subsidence entrainment should continue for the next day or so, peaking again late today. after that (sunday into monday) the environment should be very close to ideal for Katrina to intensify. i wouldn't be surprised if Katrina approaches or reaches category 5 at some point on sunday.
going to hang tight at the ms/al border. that's what i should have been doing all along. going to stick w/ a strong 3 because it's a compromise between original ideas and what i'd forecast now.
HF 1242z27august

Good luck. I'm enough inland that I would not leave even if it were a Cat 5 headed straight for me, but I wouldn't advise most people in the path to do that. I'll go along with your "now" forecast based upon what I'm seeing as far as intensity, despite the fact that Opal/Ivan/Dennis weakened as it came onshore. Near or slghtly above Cat 5 threshhold seems realistic right now with the deepening trend.
my now would be a low end 4. i'm playing a little weakening into the odds, because hurricanes almost never hit at full power. the strong 3 is a compromise. since you're in okaloosa i wouldn't worry too terribly much. unless you're in a mobile home and can animatedly describe 'tar-naders' and ufos to the local news in the worst of southern pidgin, you should be OK. -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Sat Aug 27 2005 12:59 PM)

TDW
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Mobile, AL
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: Hugh]
      #50644 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:55 PM

Hugh, is there really anywhere in Okaloosa County that is far enough inland if it took a direct hit?
it goes to the alabama border. yeah, in a strong structure you could weather that. -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Sat Aug 27 2005 01:00 PM)

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: TDW]
      #50645 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:59 PM

Quote:

Hugh, is there really anywhere in Okaloosa County that is far enough inland if it took a direct hit?

Well, when I say "far enough inland", I'm assuming that it will weaken substantially. I'm in Valparaiso, and on top of a fairly big hill so I'm away from the bayou (which will flood most of the area). When I say far enough inland, I'm referring to flood threats - which is mostly reduced by living on this hill.

Tornados would be a big problem, and we'd probably get 100+ knot (115 MPH) sustained winds if a Cat 5 made landfall at FWB, but it would do lots more damage to FWB/Destin than here.

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sat Aug 27 2005 02:32 PM)

SirCane
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #50646 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:02 PM

Hmm, these 2 storms look a lot alike. Don't they?
http://i.flhurricane.com/images/2005/katrina8.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/hurricanene/camille.jpg

--------------------
Direct Hits:

Katie
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #50647 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:03 PM

(removed material that should have been sent in a PM)

NO hit....I wouldn't want to be up there. This isn't looking very good for NO at all. I have noticed that the "cone" has narrowed a lot in the last 24 hours.

Why won't she just start moving? It seems like she has just been in the same place for while now. Enough is enough.

For those of you in the NO area...good luck. Know that a Southern gal in Central Florida (along with Colleen's kids) will be praying for you!

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sat Aug 27 2005 02:36 PM)

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #50648 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

my now would be a low end 4. i'm playing a little weakening into the odds, because hurricanes almost never hit at full power. the strong 3 is a compromise. since you're in okaloosa i wouldn't worry too terribly much. unless you're in a mobile home and can animatedly describe 'tar-naders' and ufos to the local news in the worst of southern pidgin, you should be OK. -HF

Exactly. Although I do know people who are in a mobile home. They can't animatedly describe "tar-naders" though, and I've never discussed UFOs with them!

Cantore just mentioned Elena. I remember Elena. Elena was not pleasant. Katrina is no Elena (she's much worse! ).

ETA:
I keep going back to the water vapor loop. Now it's looking like moisture is beginning to form and loop back into Katrina from the north. In other words, a hurricane that was lopsided with most of its nasty stuff on the south yesterday looks like it may be getting its act together - getting better organized to use the technical term
Now, something just does not feel right about saying that a cat 3 hurricane is getting better organized. Is the buildup of "wet" air to the north a sign that the north turn may be beginning soon, or am I paranoid?

ETA2: I just noticed that it looks like it's just growing and growing and growing - it's actually expanded more to the SOUTH than it has to the NORTH. Egads, this is getting HUGE!!!!

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Edited by Hugh (Sat Aug 27 2005 01:13 PM)

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
      #50649 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:14 PM

I just looked at the GFS 60-hour cumulative rainfall model for 102 hours out (about a day and a half after expected landfall). Even if you aren't anywhere near this thing, expect major flooding:

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/18/images/gfs_p60_102l.gif

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 96 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 61475

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center