F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
weatherwatcher2
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Parrish florida
Re: Katrina's Influence [Re: emackl]
      #53475 - Fri Sep 02 2005 11:56 AM

Im sure this question has been here before but can someone please explain why the Army corp of engineers would build the levys to only withstand up to a cat 3? I just feel that if you know that you have a city that only 30 percent of the people drive and sits below sea level and just the whole damn situation. why?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indianapolis
Re: Katrina's Influence [Re: weatherwatcher2]
      #53476 - Fri Sep 02 2005 12:17 PM

The Army Corps will build whatever they are told to build. They built it to a level 3 because that's what they were authorized to do.

Here's an article on it:

http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/083005cccawwlunwatering.45718845.html

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
      #53477 - Fri Sep 02 2005 12:26 PM

Good article... I tell ya it is not a good thing for everyone to keep harping on what should have been done, what could have been done, or whose
fault it is. None of those answers will help the people in New Orleans
and elsewhere. Nobody seemed to be worried enuough in the last hundred years about New Orleans to do anything about it. I used to live in Baton Rouge and visited New Orleans regularly. When you are there the levees and Lake Ponch and The Miss arent something you think about daily. You dont even realize you are below sea level. We cant be ready for everything all the time. My big question now is, since we did get a Cat 4 in N.O. with major devestation, are they planning on rebuilding back the
way it was or what. I am worried about that since NOW we do know what can happen. On the other hand, the city cannot just "not exist" for years in order to rebuild correctly.... or can it.

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

Juls

Reged:
Loc: Dunedin, FL
      #53478 - Fri Sep 02 2005 12:31 PM

I was just going to reply that is probably what happened. As an engineer of sorts myself, we tend to come up with a solution that management won't approve the time, $$ and resources for, so you are left with something that will later take more time, $ and resources to correct or "upgrade". If you remember this was a somewhat publicitized issue with the shuttle. Hopefully if they rebuild, it will be done rightl but then again who knows what the future holds - if we build it for a cat 5 and then something we never dreamed of occurs like that movie cat 7??

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Katrina's Influence [Re: Miami Beach, FLA USA]
      #53479 - Fri Sep 02 2005 12:36 PM

Quote:

My message is human not political:

Um...your message is redundant.

As in -- didn't you post this in the last thread?

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

AdvAutoBob
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Cape Coral, FL
Re: DANNY!!! [Re: LI Phil]
      #53480 - Fri Sep 02 2005 12:37 PM

Quote:

I just got a phone call from DanielW AKA Danny...he's alive and of course, working his butt off to help others...he says Hattiesburg is in as bad a shape as most of the rest of the coast but he's alive and this was the first time he got phone service...

GREAT news! (breath I've been holding now expelling in a giant sigh of relief...)

--------------------
"Chance favors the prepared mind"

emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indianapolis
Re: Katrina's Influence [Re: NewWatcher]
      #53481 - Fri Sep 02 2005 12:38 PM

"On the other hand, the city cannot just "not exist" for years in order to rebuild correctly.... or can it. "

They may have too. There is going to be so much rebuilding it's gonna take years and years. I heard today something that really irked me. Many police officers turned in their badges and said they lost everything and they are leaving. It's not worth it to say and risk their lives. I disagree with that. They signed an oath. I know it's tough, but for gods sake everyone else lost everything too. So many people are going to be blamed. I'm coming to the conclusion that it's Katrina's fault. It was so diffucult to get in there in a timely fashion. Even with all the preparation in the world this would have been a horrible mess.

luki
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: palm beach county
      #53483 - Fri Sep 02 2005 12:55 PM

I know this post probably dont belong here but i wanted to get this out to as many as I could,Ive been a long time lurker and post only occasionaly due to the fact im still learning about these systems and my imput wouldnt really help,but that beside the matter.Ill get to the point now.
My heart has been breaking for these people throughout the gulf coast,so i decided to do some calling to see what i could do to help beside just donating money,i was given a web site and phone number that can be used to offer to take in a displaced family,apparently theres has been an overwhelming amount of poeple calling in to offer rooms beds etc that the various states felt the web site was needed.
the web site is
www.SHAREYOURHOME.ORG
the number to call is
1-888-827-2525
please pass this along to all you know,even if you can you only place 1 adult thats 1 less person out there wondering where they will go.
Sorry if i posted this in the wrong forum.

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Future Systems [Re: Paulf]
      #53486 - Fri Sep 02 2005 01:14 PM

I thought TD 14 was supposed to be moving NW...sure looks like due west, at least in the last few frames:
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/watl-wv-loop.html

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #53487 - Fri Sep 02 2005 01:30 PM

Katrina did what hurricanes have done for centuries in moving heat from the tropics. Nature is nature. The response of the federal
government was terrible and slow in coming. I am proud to say Texas is taking so many of these evacuees and getting kids into
our schools here. I think the officials of the states hit are doing the best they can. It is the federal government that was slow in
responding.

Does anyone know the long term outlook on the system that is at low latitude between Africa and the islands? Our local
meterologist said it could be in the Carribean in about a week.

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Katrina's Influence [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #53488 - Fri Sep 02 2005 01:36 PM

This is cut and pasted from HF's statement the other day... think
it still holds true

92L has threat written on it. the system is getting better organized.. holding down 1.5 t-ratings and under decreasing easterly shear. the globals are developing it and the GFDL types are making a monster out of it. most track it to the northeastern caribbean or thereabouts in about five days. i'm not a big proponent of the vacillating GFDL open trough/major hurricane progs... but early indications are that it may be a hurricane at that time. big ridge settling in off the east coast around that timeframe.. if it isn't hanging on the trough ahead of it, this may become a threat further west.

me again.... also Clark has a good blog on it. check there

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
Re: Katrina's Influence [Re: NewWatcher]
      #53491 - Fri Sep 02 2005 01:44 PM

92L looks close to dissapation right now, but may have a chance to develop yet. Low has been positioned further north, but surprisingly it looks terrible today. But things can change quickly. The GFDL dissipates the system now, where it had a major hurricane last night. EC dissipates it, UKMET develops it. Let's see what happens today. Strange season. Cheers!!

Ryan
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Long Island, NY / Stuart, FL
92L [Re: Steve H1]
      #53494 - Fri Sep 02 2005 02:04 PM

people have been saying that 92L system was supposed to develope any update since like 2 days ago. I still think it will develope, but like what HF said, there will be a ridge over the east coast..what does that mean?..and head farther west..do you mean into the GOM?

--------------------
2006 Atlantic Season Summary:
Bad, But Not AS Bad.

Life's a Storm, Watch Your Back

DJINFLA
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Sebastian, FL
Re: Future Systems [Re: Ed in Va]
      #53495 - Fri Sep 02 2005 02:09 PM

I don't post too often because I'm more of a learner, but I've been visiting for years. Question: Why is Lee considered a Tropical Storm, but TD #14 is not? Lee has 30 mph winds with 1010 mb, while TD14 had 35 mph winds and 1008 mb. I don't get it. What makes one a tropical storm, and the other a depression?

Ryan
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Future Systems [Re: DJINFLA]
      #53497 - Fri Sep 02 2005 02:12 PM

neither LEE or 14 are TS's.

--------------------
Bad, But Not AS Bad.

DJINFLA
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Sebastian, FL
Re: Future Systems [Re: Ryan]
      #53498 - Fri Sep 02 2005 02:17 PM

OOPS! I feel stupid this morning. Didn't read the info and didn't realize Lee was no longer a TS. Now I know what I usually just read. Guess another cup of coffee is needed.

As for 97, I sure hope that it somehow disappears. Someone mentioned that a model that yesterday had it at a Cat 5 simply dissipates it today. How come so much change in a model in less than a day? Guess it's too soon to give a sigh of relief?

Ryan
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Future Systems [Re: DJINFLA]
      #53499 - Fri Sep 02 2005 02:20 PM

lol DJ its 92**** not 97, and if the model can change from cat 5 strength to dissipation overnight then that goes to show how much they dont know whats going to happen, we have time to watch it.

--------------------
Bad, But Not AS Bad.

native
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: SE Florida
Re: Katrina's Influence [Re: Steve H1]
      #53500 - Fri Sep 02 2005 02:20 PM

Firstly - DANNY!!!! Thank God! We were all so worried. Thank God!

Secondly - Is anyone else having a rough time with NRL's site today? It's loading about as fast as a herd of turtles running uphill through peanut butter.

I am trying to get the latest SAT images on 92L. I'd be: (a) interested in view them and (b) like the get a MET's lastest opinion of the status of that.

Ryan
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Katrina's Influence [Re: native]
      #53502 - Fri Sep 02 2005 02:24 PM

Quote:

Firstly - DANNY!!!! Thank God! We were all so worried. Thank God!

Secondly - Is anyone else having a rough time with NRL's site today? It's loading about as fast as a herd of turtles running uphill through peanut butter.

I am trying to get the latest SAT images on 92L. I'd be: (a) interested in view them and (b) like the get a MET's lastest opinion of the status of that.

try http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/2005/ and scroll down tot he individual storm history

--------------------
Bad, But Not AS Bad.

FlaMommy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Tampa(Riverview), Florida
Spaghetti Models [Re: Ryan]
      #53503 - Fri Sep 02 2005 02:28 PM

HI Good Morning, Im glad to hear Daniel is okay. I dont think i hav ever prayed so much, than i have this past week...anyways i was wondering fi someone could post a link for some spaghetti models of TD#14... thanks becky

RYAN - Happy Birthday on monday...watch out for those storms

--------------------
"Haven't thought of a witty one lately"

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 82 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 31496

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center