F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Its here - 22L [Re: Rich B]
      #58027 - Sat Oct 08 2005 02:35 PM

Quote:

just a quick post - FNMOC now have the system between Bermuda and the Caribbean up as 22L. expect advisories to be initiated at 1500z.

It will be a fish-spinner/name-user. A month and a half plus left in the season, and we'll be down to Wilma.

Clouds have started to pick up on the northwest side of the remnants of Tammy... which now appears to be moving eastward across the north GOM... low should move inland north of Tampa without any formation, though.

Well on second thought.... Bermuda has issued a tropical storm watch... and the computer model on WU has it move WNW to NW and approaching the east coast in several days before turning NE out to sea.... so it MIGHT not be a fish spinner after all.

Subtropical storms have only been named for the last few years (I forget exactly when they started naming them)... but this could become tropical anyway.
they started naming them around 2002... believe gustav that year was the first. before that it was numbers but more often classification at post analysis (the TWOs would mention a nontropical low that might acquire tropical characteristics for a few days but the NHC would never issue advisories). -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Sat Oct 08 2005 05:25 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Its here - 22L [Re: Rich B]
      #58028 - Sat Oct 08 2005 02:47 PM

NHC has subtropical depression 22 up on its home page.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

dave foster
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: UK
Re: Its here - 22L [Re: Margie]
      #58029 - Sat Oct 08 2005 03:56 PM

Does anyone else think that 22L is looking less impressive now than it did 3 hours ago?
Might it be fizzling out before it's had a chance to get started...

--------------------
Dave Foster
http://www.ascn92.dsl.pipex.com

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Azores - Canary Islands system [Re: dave foster]
      #58030 - Sat Oct 08 2005 04:05 PM

well satellite imagery shows that the system between the Azores and the Canaries really is getting its act together. it even looks better organised than STD22, with a well defined convective band in both the north and south semicircles. given that it is slow moving it could develop further. good to see NHC now paying attention to it in the latest two - and suggesting it too could be classified as another subtropical system if the organization continues.

Regards

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Re: Azores - Canary Islands system [Re: Rich B]
      #58031 - Sat Oct 08 2005 05:37 PM

subtrop 22 is taking southeasterly shear... coincident with its direction of travel. the strong upper low to the south is shearing it from the east, in spite of its westward track... which suggests that it isn't being steered by/strongly associated with the upper trough anymore. up ahead on its track as it pulls away from the upper low, and ridging to the north controls its movement.. it should encounter modestly favorable conditions. SSTs on its forecast track wouldn't support more than a tropical storm or weak hurricane under normal circumstances... the official looks about right there. that's assuming that the convective area to the east doesn't start competing with 22 and robbing all of its inflow... in which case the system would sputter westward and not really develop as per many of the models.
the upper low north of puerto rico has very strong drill-down potential, since it isn't moving quickly and already has turning at the surface.. and is over warm waters with a ridge to the north. don't be surprised if the upper low becomes the hurricane that several of the forecast models have originating around it.
well, i'll call it 96L... the powerful subtropical cyclone a few hundred miles west of morocco. the system has slowed down and is over fairly cool waters, so has probably peaked... as the environment around it is surely moderating and it doesn't have the same kind of differential to maintain the intensity it had. it may perk up a little as it gets drawn up into a baroclinic zone towards the british isles early next week... but i don't think its appearance will improve anymore so the NHC will probably not operationally classify it. at least they added it to the TWO. post analysis will be iffy as well, as it has existed beyond the periphery of the usual source region for tropical cyclones, and has obvious baroclinic origin. interesting system nonetheless.
not to forget 94L, but it is going to struggle. when it had a good vertical environment it sort of dawdled.. now it is under more substantial shear. there is enough upstream diffluence to support some convection as it continues wnw, but systems like this don't typically make it. it may end up entrained by the developing deep-layer complex ahead of it.
HF 1736z08october

Edited by HanKFranK (Sat Oct 08 2005 05:38 PM)

dave foster
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: UK
Re: Azores - Canary Islands system [Re: HanKFranK]
      #58032 - Sat Oct 08 2005 10:11 PM

I've been watching 22L all day now. What I have noticed is the dry airstream to the north of 22L
slowly pushing west and south and curling around 22L. If it continues to do so for the next
6 to 10 hours I can see it curling up to the northeast around the back of 22L causing it to
deepen and take up a more westerly or south-westerly direction.

I know what the predictions are for 22L, and I also know that what I am saying flies in the face of the
official line. Being new to this I would be pleased if any of the more experienced storm trackers in the
forum would care to comment, even if it's only to call me crazy or any other choice phrase.

I am still trying to gain an impression of what makes these storms tick, how they are formed and what
drives them. I would really appreciate any feedback whatsoever if it helps me to get on the right track
and provides me with the insight I am looking for.

--------------------
Dave Foster
http://www.ascn92.dsl.pipex.com

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Re: Azores - Canary Islands system [Re: dave foster]
      #58033 - Sun Oct 09 2005 01:21 AM

96L has a tropical appearance, within the larger deep-layer trough environment. that's one of the clearest cases for a subtropical storm that i've ever seen. NHC has to be scratching their head over what to do with it because it's way the hell east of where systems are usually trackable. of course back in 1998 nicole did come out of that general area.. perhaps it'll get the nod at 11. clark would know how it looks on phase-analysis... hope he shows up this evening.
subtd 22 is still strongly sheared out of the east. flow continue to push it west for the early part of the period... if it goes too far it'll have to content with the northerly shear zone upstream of it's location. so far it hasn't gone quite north enough to take advantage of the ridging/good outflow environment to the north, but is remaining over SSTs marginal to support a hurricane. a half day's abatement of shear would allow this storm to get going, but as of now it's still questionable whether it gets named, as it hasn't escaped the shear that started on it this morning.
94L has a good outflow environment to its east, but is struggling where it is. likelihood of near term development is low, but may improve in the long-run if it can remain coherent.
don't think the globals have the system originating early in the week near the greater antilles right. it may be a drill down or a storm that forms under the ridging near the bahamas upstream of the trough. or it could be that the conflicting forces allow nothing to go. there are enough models swinging a deep tropical low northward by bermuda towards cape cod to be a interested, but the evolution still doesn't look right.
HF 0121z09october

sara33
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: St. Pete,
      #58034 - Sun Oct 09 2005 01:52 AM

96L? Can someone please give the coordinates..I did not see it on the Navy site yet. Thanks

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
      #58035 - Sun Oct 09 2005 02:20 AM

The disturbance between the Azores and the Canaries is showing up as very weakly symmetric but shallow warm core in the GFS and with ambiguous symmetry and on the border between deep cold core and shallow warm core on the UKMET and NOGAPS. (Finally got everything fixed...think the NHC people probably fired off an e-mail to get it done because they needed it!) Trends have been more subtropical than cold-core, but with little further warm core development from here. Will be an interesting case -- they are generally lax to name/classify those systems, but this is a pretty clear-cut case (IMO) for it. We'll see at 11 or 5.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

NONAME
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Azores - Canary Islands system [Re: Clark]
      #58036 - Sun Oct 09 2005 02:28 AM

The Latest Statelite for 96L On FNMOC is very impressive if i didn't know any better i'd say it was a hurricane. haha But NHC should classify it. There is no dought it is a ST Cyclone an a strong one at that.

web page

--------------------
I am a young Weather enthusiast and really want to get to college in a couple of years for meteorology.

sara33
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #58037 - Sun Oct 09 2005 02:41 AM

Thanks for the info Clark! Now.. I'm new to this so what exactly is the difference between a subtropical system and a tropical system??Thanks Guys! Just trying to learn.
Christine ...

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Israel
Re: Azores - Canary Islands system [Re: sara33]
      #58038 - Sun Oct 09 2005 02:46 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the info Clark! Now.. I'm new to this so what exactly is the difference between a subtropical system and a tropical system??Thanks Guys! Just trying to learn.
Christine ...

Subtropical tend to have colder cores with the max winds located well from the center of circulation. Tropical is a warm core with the max winds located in a tight core.

--------------------
Andrew 1992, Irene 1999, Katrina 2005, Wilma 2005

NONAME
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #58039 - Sun Oct 09 2005 02:46 AM

Here is what NHC Has to say about ST Cyclones

Subtropical Cyclone:
A non-frontal low pressure system that has characteristics of both tropical and extratropical cyclones.

The most common type is an upper-level cold low with circulation extending to the surface layer and maximum sustained winds generally occurring at a radius of about 100 miles or more from the center. In comparison to tropical cyclones, such systems have a relatively broad zone of maximum winds that is located farther from the center, and typically have a less symmetric wind field and distribution of convection.

A second type of subtropical cyclone is a mesoscale low originating in or near a frontolyzing zone of horizontal wind shear, with radius of maximum sustained winds generally less than 30 miles. The entire circulation may initially have a diameter of less than 100 miles. These generally short-lived systems may be either cold core or warm core.

--------------------
I am a young Weather enthusiast and really want to get to college in a couple of years for meteorology.

sara33
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Azores - Canary Islands system [Re: NONAME]
      #58040 - Sun Oct 09 2005 02:50 AM

Thanks everyone! So much to learn...I LOVE this board!

NONAME
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #58041 - Sun Oct 09 2005 03:06 AM

Well 12 hours is short lived That was The worst cyclone I have ever seen even worse that Lee This year.

--------------------

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Azores - Canary Islands system [Re: NONAME]
      #58042 - Sun Oct 09 2005 04:17 AM

Not sure why this isn't at least a ST storm. QuikSCAT shows the maximum winds very near the center of circulation (with some strong winds also in the outer reaches of the very broad cyclonic environment), the microwave passes show a very well-defined inner-core -- a small one, but well-defined nonetheless. Eye-like feature may be a convective artifact, but the fact that it is showing up on all of the passes at all levels lends some credence to the idea that it is an actual feature.

This one doesn't get classified if the NHC gets political on us and doesn't want to use up another name. It won't make it to Spain as a classified storm, but it should be one now. We'll see what happens at 5 & 11am.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
      #58043 - Sun Oct 09 2005 08:05 AM

Agreed Clark, 96L should be a classified system. It certainly seems to meet the criteria at least for ST classification. It has again been given TNumbers of ST3.0/ST3.0 at 0600z this morning from SSD. It has consistently been given these TNumbers for at least the past 48 hours, numbers which shortlived STD22 didnt even attain. The convective structure remains well organised and intact with good convective banding features. The core remains relatively clear. And the winds are strong - potentially making it a ST Storm. Of course, the proximity to Spain and the Canary Islands probably are its inhibiting factors to classification We may see this go unclassified, but given the current and recent data on this system, it might have a shot at classification in the post season analysis.

Regards

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
      #58044 - Sun Oct 09 2005 11:51 AM

Quote:

Agreed Clark, 96L should be a classified system. It certainly seems to meet the criteria at least for ST classification. It has again been given TNumbers of ST3.0/ST3.0 at 0600z this morning from SSD. It has consistently been given these TNumbers for at least the past 48 hours, numbers which shortlived STD22 didnt even attain. The convective structure remains well organised and intact with good convective banding features. The core remains relatively clear. And the winds are strong - potentially making it a ST Storm. Of course, the proximity to Spain and the Canary Islands probably are its inhibiting factors to classification We may see this go unclassified, but given the current and recent data on this system, it might have a shot at classification in the post season analysis.
Regards

The blasted thing has an EYE for crissake! (looking at NRL loop)... yet the NHC says it is non-tropical, and over cold water. How can anyone have much faith in the NHC forecasts when they ignore a hurricane (or at least a strong tropical storm), saying it is non-tropical?

Update: Dr. Lyons just called it a "subtropical" system and said "best I can estimate winds are about 30-35 mph".... the cloud tops don't look impressive on the colorized IR, either. Still, it should be classified if the short-lived subtropical low near Bermuda was classified!

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Edited by Hugh (Sun Oct 09 2005 11:54 AM)

HCW
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Mobile,AL
      #58045 - Sun Oct 09 2005 01:19 PM

Tropical Storm Vince now Winds 50mph

TROPICAL STORM VINCE (AL232005) ON 20051009 1200 UTC

...00 HRS... ...12 HRS... ...24 HRS... ...36 HRS...
051009 1200 051010 0000 051010 1200 051011 0000

LAT LON LAT LON LAT LON LAT LON
BAMD 33.8N 19.3W 34.7N 17.6W 36.0N 14.5W 37.9N 10.2W
BAMM 33.8N 19.3W 34.8N 17.7W 36.2N 14.8W 38.4N 11.1W
A98E 33.8N 19.3W 34.0N 18.4W 34.4N 16.2W 35.8N 12.8W
LBAR 33.8N 19.3W 34.9N 17.5W 36.5N 14.9W 38.0N 11.5W
SHIP 45KTS 45KTS 46KTS 47KTS
DSHP 45KTS 45KTS 46KTS 47KTS

...48 HRS... ...72 HRS... ...96 HRS... ..120 HRS...
051011 1200 051012 1200 051013 1200 051014 1200

LAT LON LAT LON LAT LON LAT LON
BAMD 40.0N 5.7W 42.4N 2.9E 44.6N 8.1E 46.0N 12.3E
BAMM 41.0N 7.3W 46.5N .2W 51.9N 2.7E 52.3N 3.7E
A98E 36.7N 9.0W 33.4N 2.8W 34.4N 2.0E 42.2N 10.4E
LBAR 38.8N 7.5W 38.1N 1.1W 38.2N 3.4E 41.3N 3.2E
SHIP 48KTS 50KTS 52KTS 48KTS
DSHP 35KTS 30KTS 30KTS 30KTS

...INITIAL CONDITIONS...
LATCUR = 33.8N LONCUR = 19.3W DIRCUR = 45DEG SPDCUR = 3KT
LATM12 = 33.2N LONM12 = 20.0W DIRM12 = 54DEG SPDM12 = 3KT
LATM24 = 33.0N LONM24 = 20.3W
WNDCUR = 45KT RMAXWD = 20NM WNDM12 = 45KT
CENPRS = 1000MB OUTPRS = 1010MB OUTRAD = 175NM SDEPTH = D
RD34NE = 60NM RD34SE = 60NM RD34SW = 60NM RD34NW = 60NM

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Torrington, CT
Re: Azores - Canary Islands system [Re: HCW]
      #58046 - Sun Oct 09 2005 01:28 PM

Maybe i am missing something, but i don't think there is a storm named Vince. Myabe there should be, but as of now i haven't seen it.

--------------------
Gloria 1985 (Eye passed over my house in...get this...northwestern CT!)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 179 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 16176

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center