F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)
engicedave
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: NHC Press Conference [Re: age234]
      #61669 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:51 PM

Palm Beach Co., schools are closed monday (only).

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sara33
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: St. Pete,
Re: NHC Press Conference [Re: tpratch]
      #61670 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:52 PM

For those of us in Pinellas County...
Do you think that the affects will be similar to Frances & Jeanne last year?
Better or worse?
Any thoughts would be appreciated

evergladesangler
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
18Z GFS and GFDL between Venice, Sarasota [Re: MichaelA]
      #61671 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:52 PM

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/GFDL_18z/ghmloop.html

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/18/index_p06_m_loop.shtml

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: NHC Press Conference [Re: tpratch]
      #61672 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:54 PM

Even if the storm hits Orlando, no real reason to evacuate, unless you are in a poorly constructed building or in a mobile home. Might want to clear the possible missles outside. Otherwise, best to just get some food. maybe some candles and rid her out at home. That is my plan down here in Poincianna, unless I have to go to work.

--------------------
Jim

Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: NHC Press Conference [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #61673 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:54 PM

I'm amazed how many of my neighbors aren't taking this seriously. I live in a development of 76 homes and maybe 20 +/- of us put shutters up. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but why don't people take this serious?

Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: NHC Press Conference [Re: Rasvar]
      #61674 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:55 PM

At least when we loose power, it will be cool.

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: NHC Press Conference [Re: TampaSu]
      #61675 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:58 PM

Kind of an aside, almost seems like TBW and MLB have a slight difference of opinion. Would have thought Polk would have an inland hurricane watch since Orange and Osceola do. Even the experts seem to be unsure on this one. MLB might be a little extra cautious or believe the models more. no real idea on why there is a difference. Granted, MLB's discussions have been a bit more cautious the last few times. So there is no surprise on this to me.

--------------------
Jim

Twistergal

Reged:
Loc: Great Plains
Re: Severe Weather Outlook for FL from SPC [Re: Addicted2Cane]
      #61676 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:58 PM

Following is the latest information from NOAA's Storm Prediction Center regarding the potential for severe weather over the next couple of days in FL. Maybe this will give folks a little bit of clarity on the chances for severe thunderstorms, tornados, etc., in the Sunshine State. You can find info for the Day 1 and Day 2 outlooks at the following URL's:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day2otlk.html

--------------------
Toto, we're still in Kansas!

FireAng85
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Mount Dora, FL 32757
Perspective [Re: Jamiewx]
      #61677 - Sat Oct 22 2005 10:00 PM

It is very sobering to me that this hurricane is going to landfall about 250 miles south of me and they are forecasting 50 mph sustained winds with hurricane force gusts....... I'm getting worried. If it inches north even just a little bit, I don't even want to think about that........

--------------------
Angie Robertson
OCFRD
"So others may live"

efaulkSWFLA
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Fort Myers, Florida
Re: Perspective [Re: FireAng85]
      #61678 - Sat Oct 22 2005 10:05 PM

For the "inexperienced" what is a good loop to refer to when you want to get an accurate update of the satellite? Everytime I want to get an update, I alway looks at a different type of image..lol

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: Perspective [Re: FireAng85]
      #61679 - Sat Oct 22 2005 10:06 PM

Whoa... 18Z GFS slides the storm further north. Inland @ Sarasota or so, then NE through Orlando.

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/carib/gfs/18/fp1_042.shtml

If this verifies, yours truly would've nailed this.... not that anyone cares... or that it's particularly germaine to the conversation. Might as well pat myself on the back while I can though.

age234
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Winter Park
Re: NHC Press Conference [Re: Rasvar]
      #61680 - Sat Oct 22 2005 10:10 PM

Quote:

Even if the storm hits Orlando, no real reason to evacuate, unless you are in a poorly constructed building or in a mobile home. Might want to clear the possible missles outside. Otherwise, best to just get some food. maybe some candles and rid her out at home. That is my plan down here in Poincianna, unless I have to go to work.

Thanks for the tips, I'll pass them along. So do you think that, if she stays on the current track, the power would even go out in greater Orlando? The only hurricane I've been in was Jeanne, and the power didn't even flicker around here. What do you think Wilma will be like in comparison with Jeanne?

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Polk City, FL
      #61681 - Sat Oct 22 2005 10:11 PM

Depends where you are in WP. All of those old trees and high winds don't mix well. Can really wreak havoc on the power grid.

I used to live in the UCF area of east orange (not WP but close). Last year with Charley I was out for 2 weeks.

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Perspective [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #61682 - Sat Oct 22 2005 10:13 PM

*pat*

Looking at this WV loop, the first short wave has passed Wilma with the second short wave dropping from South Dakota.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

Ronn
User

Reged:
Loc: Seminole, FL
Re: NHC Press Conference [Re: sara33]
      #61683 - Sat Oct 22 2005 10:14 PM

Quote:

For those of us in Pinellas County...
Do you think that the affects will be similar to Frances & Jeanne last year?
Better or worse?

I do not believe that Wilma will be as bad for Pinellas County as Frances or Jeanne was, unless the storm moves farther north than expected. As of now, we are probably looking at tropical storm force gusts (45-55mph), but nothing more. If you recall, Jeanne and Frances both generated a strong onshore NW wind on the Pinellas coast that--because of unimpeded flow over the Gulf--gave us sustained TS winds with some hurricane force gusts during Jeanne on the immediate coast. When Wilma is at its closest, our winds will be from the east over land, thus we will not get a severe "backlash" on the coast. This, coupled with the fact that we will be on the weaker northern side of the storm, will probably result in only sustained winds around 30-35 mph with gusts to TS force. Of course, we still should be preparing for a direct hit , because we are still within the cone of uncertainty. Most likely, however, Wilma will come in a bit south of us...how far south remains to be seen.

Edited by Ronn (Sat Oct 22 2005 10:18 PM)

sara33
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: St. Pete,
Re: NHC Press Conference [Re: Ronn]
      #61684 - Sat Oct 22 2005 10:16 PM

Thanks Ronn

FireAng85
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Mount Dora, FL 32757
      #61685 - Sat Oct 22 2005 10:16 PM

Wow, in Lake County, Sorrento to be exact, we lost our roof and were without power for a week! Jeanne was harder on us than any of them!

--------------------
Angie Robertson
OCFRD
"So others may live"

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: Perspective [Re: efaulkSWFLA]
      #61686 - Sat Oct 22 2005 10:16 PM

Put these in your favorites

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/trop-atl.html

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/ewall.html

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Edited by Tazmanian93 (Sat Oct 22 2005 10:17 PM)

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
      #61687 - Sat Oct 22 2005 10:18 PM

My personal thinking is that she will be between Jeanne and Charley in Orlando. Closer to Jeanne and not anywhere near Charley. Given a year of regrowth, probably more powerfailures then Jeanne. No massive grid destruction, though. Maybe some 2-3 day outages at worst. That is based on current forecast.

--------------------
Jim

Edited by Rasvar (Sat Oct 22 2005 10:19 PM)

Rdietch
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Perspective [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #61688 - Sat Oct 22 2005 10:19 PM

Quote:

Whoa... 18Z GFS slides the storm further north. Inland @ Sarasota or so, then NE through Orlando.

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/carib/gfs/18/fp1_042.shtml

If this verifies, yours truly would've nailed this.... not that anyone cares... or that it's particularly germaine to the conversation. Might as well pat myself on the back while I can though.

About the same as the 12Z the GFS has been the north outliner all day today so until it gets new data it will stay there im sure.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 86 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 103591

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center