F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

Archives 2010s >> 2011 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Developing Wave Near Veracruz
      #90561 - Mon Jul 11 2011 12:30 PM

Update - Wednesday, July 13th, 10AM
An active wave in the Southwest Bay of Campeche has been designated as Invest 97L with about a 50/50 chance for additional intensification today prior to landfall. The system is close to shore - near Veracruz , Mexico, and it is moving to the west northwest at 16 knots.
ED

Weather Observations from Veracruz

12 Jul Update
One of the signs forecasters look for is the situation with the Median-Julian-Oscillation (aka MJO) and signs are pointing to a possible early Cape Verde season the latter half of July into August. Which means in a few weeks we'll need to start looking east for signs of development.

Right now, there is a wave east of the Caribbean, which is worth watching to see if it survives the east Caribbean, and another in the western Caribbean that is approaching land and likely will make landfall well before it can develop. Both systems have a 10% chance for development in the next 48 hours.

A front over the Carolinas right now is worth watching to see if convection gets cut off and left in the Atlantic, if so it is possible for development to occur off the coast of the Carolinas late this week, but it really depends on how far the energy gets offshore.

None of these systems are likely to develop into much.

Original Update

Mid July is approaching in the Atlantic Hurricane Basin, and this period historically has been mixed, either very slow, or somewhat active.
This year, July appears to be on the slower side, at least so far.

There is one area east of the Caribbean which could develop later, right now it has a 10% chance, but very little model support for anything in the near term.

Those in the southern windward islands in the Eastern Caribbean will want to look for some rain from the area.

It may be worth watching later to see if it survives its time in the eastern Caribbean.

Outside of this, there really isn't much going on in the Atlantic.

Toward the end of July you start to look further and further east for development, and continue to look elsewhere in the basin. Most activity usually starts to occur until August (Mid to late August in particular).

That said, there really isn't much going on in the Atlantic tropics right now, and probably won't be for another week or so, but it's worth it to continue to monitor for "surprise" systems.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Mid July Atlantic Storm Watch [Re: MikeC]
      #90567 - Tue Jul 12 2011 01:34 PM

None of those appear ready to develop. The energy with the disturbance over the mid atlantic States is diving toward the southeast. The system entering the E. Carib. is losing its convection and is barely more than a cluster of rain showers. The energy moving into C. America is more likely to be conducive for cyclonegenesis, but in the E. Pac., IMHO.

--------------------
doug

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Mid July Atlantic Storm Watch [Re: doug]
      #90568 - Tue Jul 12 2011 10:24 PM

Checking the MJO Forecasts at the website listed below. Computer models are forecasting the MJO to remain in a positive phase for the next few days.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/CLIVAR/clivar_wh.shtml

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged:
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Developing Wave Near Veracruz [Re: MikeC]
      #90572 - Wed Jul 13 2011 02:59 PM

Invest 97L is within 50 miles of the Mexican coast and should be inland in a few hours. The window for additional development is small but gusty winds and heavy showers are likely along the west coast of the Bay of Campeche today and tonight.
ED

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Caribbean Weather [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #90574 - Thu Jul 14 2011 03:10 PM

NHC has announced tentative flight plans for the system in the Lower Western Caribbean. This is dependent on the system maintaining it's current intensity, or intensifying.

WEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTS
CARCAH, National Hurricane Center, MIAMI, FL.
1000 AM EDT THU 14 JULY 2011
SUBJECT: TROPICAL CYCLONE PLAN OF THE DAY (TCPOD)
VALID 15/1100Z TO 16/1100Z JULY 2011
TCPOD NUMBER.....11-044

I. ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS
1. NEGATIVE RECONNAISSANCE REQUIREMENTS.
2. OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY: POSSIBLE LOW
LEVEL INVEST AT 16/1900Z NEAR 12N 82W.
(Saturday Morning flight-possible~danielw)

II. PACIFIC REQUIREMENTS
1. NEGATIVE RECONNAISSANCE REQUIREMENTS.
2. SUCCEEDING DAY OUTLOOK.....NEGATIVE.

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Caribbean Weather [Re: danielw]
      #90575 - Thu Jul 14 2011 04:01 PM

Anyone making anything of the front that has now moved east of the GA/SC coast? I guess this is the potential area that has been hinted at the past few days.

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

FtMyersgal

Reged:
Loc: Fort Myers FL
Re: Caribbean Weather [Re: Ed in Va]
      #90576 - Thu Jul 14 2011 04:41 PM

Quote:

Anyone making anything of the front that has now moved east of the GA/SC coast? I guess this is the potential area that has been hinted at the past few days.

Anyone have a comment on the wave at 45W?

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Caribbean Weather [Re: FtMyersgal]
      #90577 - Thu Jul 14 2011 06:56 PM

The frontal development off Georgia/Carolinas looks to have fallen apart, and likely will not develop. Some chances were still there yesterday, but those are all but gone today. Atlantic.

Still the end of July seems like it may get more activity.

Right now, beyond the Southwest Caribbean, there is a wave in the Central Atlantic, but it's marginal at the moment.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Re: Caribbean Weather [Re: MikeC]
      #90578 - Thu Jul 14 2011 10:11 PM

The wave Mike mentioned in the far Atlantic, near 45W, still has some thunderstorm activity and the cirrus clouds over the area indicate little or no shear at present. It's low in latitude, and that could spell trouble for the South American Coast. Should the system gain latitude the Windward Islands and the rest of the Lesser Antilles could be affected.

A new stronger, at this time, wave has pushed off of the African Coast south of the Cape Verde Islands. Moderately large centralized area of thunderstorms, at present. Long ways off... 10 to 14 days.

Edited by danielw (Thu Jul 14 2011 10:23 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8291

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center