F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Tropics Guy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Miami, Florida
Re: will it ever rain in S. Fla?
      #14719 - Mon May 31 2004 06:11 PM

Don't worry bobbi, looks like we may get our rains by the end of this week according to the local mets., been dry as a bone and my grass is browning out., wishing and hope-ing for rain down here.
Happy Memorial day all!

TG

--------------------
Tropical Cyclones: "Mother nature's heat transfer machines"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged:
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: will it ever rain in S. Fla?
      #14720 - Mon May 31 2004 06:58 PM

The small wave in the central Atlantic that bobbi mentioned was at 10N 30W yesterday afternoon, so its been moving to the west southwest at about 20mph - no organization to it. The small wave east of Belize is moving to the west northwest but it too is unorganized. A few days ago before it crossed over the northeast portion of Honduras/Nicaragua it did have a small tropical low (open to the south) associated with it, but can't find that feature today.

On another note, the heat is indeed 'ON' in central Florida. At 2pm EDT, the temperature at Melbourne Airport was 98 degrees - a new record high temperature for the month of May - and the warmest spot in the entire state. At the same time, it was a refreshing 88 degrees in Miami
Cheers,
ED

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
it rained... i walked in the rain
      #14721 - Mon May 31 2004 07:49 PM

Went out for a walk with my best friend earlier... smiling off at a cloud in the distance...raindrops began to try and fall, it was like those florida snowflakes that disapeer before they hit the ground... and suddenly... half way to the store it started to pour. Kids came out and looked, we stood under a big ficus tree and moved to a sea grape which was bushier and provided more cover. We got soaked in the process but was somehow just perfect... one day before the start of the season..

Not sure if it was measureable or if it rained at official locations like the airport... suppose will hear later on local weather.

Rain smelled great, felt great, my hair feels so soft (grandma always said southern girls should wash their hair in rainwater) and...... makes you think more seriously on the Season... feelsl like its almost here

So.. the system down by Central America moved nicely enough off of land and is not sitting neatly in water, has color in the middle and still has that banding feature that begs attention. Believe it came off further to the north than most people thought it would... off land faster, worth running a few loops.

As for the Atlantic wave.. its still there and on some sats has the some the shape of something more than rain. Too low, too early and if it did get much more organized would be blown apart by shear but... for it to get that far across the ocean in late May compells you to think what it would do in late June.

Bobbi... very happy it rained. Not sure if it messed up the records or not but either way... raining at 12:30pm on May 31st is a mute point.. might mess up the record but not the pattern itself, which is in effect and holding on.

So... maybe we'll only get creamed by a Cat 4 and not one of those previously mentioned Cat 5s..

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: it rained... i walked in the rain
      #14725 - Mon May 31 2004 09:09 PM

>>>Bobbi... very happy it rained.

Uh-oh, Bobbi speaking in third person now (LOL).

Glad you guys finally got some rain. Of course, up here, my Memorial Day is a total washout. Guess I shouldn't complain, though. Got all my inside chores done.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Spike
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Central, Florida
Re: it rained... i walked in the rain
      #14726 - Mon May 31 2004 09:19 PM

Earlier today we got a few small drizzles. Tomarrow is suppoised to be pretty wet same with the rest of this week.

--------------------
Patrick
God Bless America
Be proud of your Country!

BabyCat
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: New Orleans, La.
Re: Season Preparations to stock up on
      #14728 - Mon May 31 2004 10:21 PM

I also liked instant tea, beef jerky, juice boxes, M&Ms, and fruit like a watermelon.
And 2 big boxes of Nicorette...
But that first cup of hot coffee after the electricity comes on... that's what tastes the best.

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
systems
      #14729 - Mon May 31 2004 11:05 PM

still hanging in there in the carib but so is the wave in the atlantic

if you loop a loop out in the Atlantic you'll see it has a sort of spin to it... really... try it for yourself

bobbi
ps... phil.. no i wasnt talking in 3rd person.. i was too lazy to use a PS again and dont like to proof read too much..but I do have this massive problem with pronouns.. shhhhhh

--------------------

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Third Person...hehehehe
      #14731 - Mon May 31 2004 11:10 PM

LI Phil doesn't mind if Bobbi speaks in the third person, he certainly does not, he thinks...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Third Person...hehehehe
      #14733 - Tue Jun 01 2004 03:39 AM

Funny Phil..like some old movie.. Bobbi Speaks!

Well...speaking here now... wishing you all a safe, secure hurricane season ... as in batten down the hatches before you hunker down to enjoy the sound of the wind... if anyone here has to face a big one.. be prepared... play it safe..

Take lots of chances in life.. enjoy, go, explore, live.. love and push your limits ..feel the thrill of life rushing fast like a hurricane swirling out in the big warm ocean... but when it comes to your safety... be careful, wise and cautious.

and will see where we end up... when the final count is tallied.. when the final storm has been tracked...when the clean up has been started..

Then will see who got the numbers right.. til then, its all a shot in the dark.. a guessing game.

Tomorrow the preseason is over and its Prime Time Live.. Hurricane Season ... where we all listen for the Call of the Wind

Lois/bobbi whoever... I'm here and I'm speaking now.

Night Jim, Night Phil, Night Steve, Night Ed and good night Cyclone wherever you are

--------------------

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
great ceasars ghost
      #14734 - Tue Jun 01 2004 03:42 AM

What happened to Phil's lighthouse

laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes lol, lol

happy hurricane season 2004

--------------------

Wildcat
Unregistered

NW Carib [Re: LoisCane]
      #15180 - Thu Jun 10 2004 06:59 PM

Is the area of cloudiness in the NW Carib connected to the area of rain over Florida? What they call a trof axis, or something like that. It seems to be part of an elongated trof of some kind. From the NW Carib up to that area off of South Carolina actually. Does anyone else see this?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 117 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 11605

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center