F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 236 (Idalia) , Major: 236 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 236 (Idalia) Major: 236 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
rickonboat
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Rabbit Season & Wishcasting [Re: Colleen A.]
      #21983 - Tue Aug 31 2004 04:27 PM

Rabbit stew in a few days. Frances is still heading mostly west, and the posts have been excellent. We all keep thinking "..in just a few hours more I will know where this is heading..."...yet we all know they are dynamic entities, subject to sudden changes. The Ridge is looking to be further west than forecast, and that is why I am looking for a westerly trend. we will see.

...so again...cat 5 Miami, then Mobile bound...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re: recon [Re: Unregistered User]
      #21984 - Tue Aug 31 2004 04:28 PM

Thanks for posting this but perhaps a little interpretation concerning this data would be meaningful to the viewers.

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: recon [Re: Unregistered User]
      #21985 - Tue Aug 31 2004 04:29 PM

Not to ruin your wonderful analysis or the suspense of your findings but it looks like the GFS may have nudge left again..

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Rabbit Season & Wishcasting [Re: rickonboat]
      #21986 - Tue Aug 31 2004 04:31 PM

I'll gladly eat crow with my Hattaras call, because after Hattaras, it's up towards LI & NE. No thank you. I hate to say this, but I've been calling this one for a week, and I see less reason to change. So Rabbit's on board with me. Going to be a ride...all you in Florida don't let your guard down for one minute.

And Rick, it's getting tiresome, OK?

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

scottsvb1
Unregistered

Re: On PR radar loops... not due west more like 280 degrees [Re: Unregistered User]
      #21987 - Tue Aug 31 2004 04:31 PM

12Z of the NOGAPS is out and it shows a path thru the bahamas and into WPB (area) and across the state around 310dg near Tampa. This is consistant with the past run.
96hour GFS is 100 miles east of WPB near Freeport BAH and moving NW. ( note also again at the start of this that by 8pm eastern tonight it has Frances near 22N already, if this is already initialized as a early jump before its real movement, the placement of the hurricane might be 50-75 miles more sw of where the plots are) This might be then in agreement with the NOGAPS position 96hrs out just offshore of WPB. 1 more update to come. scottsvb

Shawn W.
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Charleston, S.C.
Re: Rabbit Season & Wishcasting [Re: LI Phil]
      #21988 - Tue Aug 31 2004 04:34 PM

I'm calling Georgia / South Carolina border.

Brad
Unregistered

Hebert [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #21989 - Tue Aug 31 2004 04:34 PM

"what the models are now plotting does not conform to the Herbert Box theory that any storm that passes below 20degreees N/ 60 degrees W would invariably affect southern Florida."

Hebert's theory - or whatever it's called - did NOT say that any storm in the box (which I believe is bordered by 15 & 20 N, and 55 & 60 W) would "invariably" (inevitably?) affect South Florida. Instead, Hebert noted that most intense hurricanes that affect South Florida and come from the east have passed in or near that box. However, the converse is NOT true; in other words, most storms that pass through that box do NOT affect South Florida. Thus, statistically speaking, although a storm going in the area of that box is more likely to affect S. Fla. than one that doesn't go through that box, it does not come close to being a guarantee. -Brad

Brad
Unregistered

Clark - FSU Superensemble? [Re: Brad]
      #21990 - Tue Aug 31 2004 04:37 PM

Clark or anyone else with the info:

Anybody know what the FSU Superensemble is showing today? Any change from yesterday afternoon's S.Fla. forecast? Thanks.

scottsvb1
Unregistered

Re: On PR radar loops... not due west more like 280 degrees [Re: scottsvb1]
      #21991 - Tue Aug 31 2004 04:40 PM

GFS 120 showing it just offshore Daytona beach by 20 miles (about) and parreling the coast of florida. For what its worth the CMC has her going up the bahama chain and staying well off the coast of florida, this model (though not out of the question) usually doesnt handle movement of tropcial systems that well as seen in the last many runs. It has been all over the place. Just waiting on the Ukmet run to figure out the whole package, will post later.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: recon [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #21992 - Tue Aug 31 2004 04:41 PM

Hopefully this will help:

URNT12 KNHC 311114
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 31/1114Z
B. 19 DEG 56 MIN N
63 DEG 20 MIN W
C. 700 MB 2649 M
D. NA
E. NA
F. 105 DEG 138 KT
G. 023 DEG 21 NM
H. 950 MB
I. 11 C/ 3092 M
J. 19 C/ 3088 M
K. 10 C/ NA
L. CLOSED WALL
M. C30
N. 12345/7
O. 0.1/1 NM
P. AF966 0806A Frances OB 27
MAX FL WIND 138 KT N QUAD 1107Z. SMALL HAIL OUTBOUND SOUTHWEST
EYEWALL.

Here's how to read it:

Bulletin Identifier
A. Date and time of fix
B. Latitude of the vortex fix in degrees and minutes
Longitude of the vortex fix in degrees and minutes
C. Minimum height of a standard pressure level, given in meters
D. Estimate of maximum surface wind observed in knots
E. Bearing and range from center of the maximum surface wind
F. Maximum flight level wind near storm center
G. Bearing and range from center of maximum flight level wind
H. Minimum sea level pressure computed from dropsonde or extrapolation
I. Maximum flight level temperature in Celsius / Pressure altitude in meters, OUTSIDE the eye
J. Maximum flight level temperature in Celsius / Pressure altitude in meters, INSIDE the eye
K. Dewpoint temperature in Celsius / Sea surface temperature in Celsius inside the eye
L. Eye character
M. Eye shape orientation and diameter
N. Fix determined by / fix level
O. Navigation fix accuracy in nm / Meteorological accuracy in nm
P. Remarks Section

That's probably the most productive thing I've done today.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Northward motion [Re: scottsvb1]
      #21993 - Tue Aug 31 2004 04:41 PM

No wobbles in this satellite image. Still moving west, but there is now a northern component.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
Re: On PR radar loops... not due west more like 280 degrees [Re: scottsvb1]
      #21995 - Tue Aug 31 2004 04:43 PM

WV loop

note the general WNW movement and the upper low to the west

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re: Hebert [Re: Brad]
      #21996 - Tue Aug 31 2004 04:44 PM

With that said, Frances will inevitably impact the weather for the entire state one way or the other.

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

Steve hirschb.
Unregistered

Re: Clark - FSU Superensemble? [Re: Brad]
      #21997 - Tue Aug 31 2004 04:44 PM

AAAKKK! GFS has Her sitting over Grand Bahama island for like 18 hours, then moves her WNW towards Melbourne but leaves her right on the coastline then moves her slowwwwwly up the coast (on the coast) Finally coming in at JAX. I recant my previous statement and apologize. This is not justification for a right shift of the track. Slightly left again I think if NHC uses the GFS. NEXT RUN PLEASE!

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: Northward motion [Re: LI Phil]
      #21998 - Tue Aug 31 2004 04:46 PM

What's weird is that when you pull up the satellite image for the Western Atlantic and Caribbean, it already shows Frances OUT of the 20 box. So, is the Goes not updated or what?

No arguing over the northward movement, just check out the other satellite look and it still looks like it's stairstepping.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Northward motion [Re: Colleen A.]
      #22000 - Tue Aug 31 2004 04:48 PM

It probably is--I've heard on TWC numerous times that hurricanes dont generally move in straight lines, they wobble

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: Clark - FSU Superensemble? [Re: Steve hirschb.]
      #22002 - Tue Aug 31 2004 04:51 PM

So what you're saying is that the latest model runs are no good? Please 'splain, my friend.

--------------------

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Northward motion [Re: Rabbit]
      #22004 - Tue Aug 31 2004 04:52 PM

Running a long range radar loop from San Juan over a few hours shows a general westerly movement with a tinge to the north. Not quite WNW more W but close to WNW.

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Northward motion [Re: Colleen A.]
      #22006 - Tue Aug 31 2004 04:52 PM

Hopefully I am speaking to the choir. The bottomline for those who live on FL east coast and are reading these boards wondering what to do or not do, is to begin preparing NOW; this does not mean panic....get some supplies...check your shutters/bolts/plywood......and sometimes take a break from these boards... watching the tennis match in the models can drive you nuts....remember what you do now can also help you next month...when the peak of the season begins!

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: Northward motion [Re: Rabbit]
      #22007 - Tue Aug 31 2004 04:53 PM

Yes, me too. Especially with an eye as big as Frances', it might be hard to discern between a "wobble" and an actual track change. Jeez, I'm getting a headache.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 94 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 85316

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center