F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: Stewart fans [Re: DroopGB31]
      #22351 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:14 AM

I have been riding a West Palm Beach landfall since this weekend, and I see little reason to diverge from that right now.

Second Gulf landfall? If I am right, then probably so, very near my (and your) area. I am still not comfortable with this yet...but I am starting to get more concerned about this thing getting in the Gulf too.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
scottsvb1
Unregistered

Re: Stewart fans [Re: DroopGB31]
      #22352 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:14 AM

I think stewert has been reading my forcasts the last few days on here,,lmao jk but they are almost word to word that i say. Its just a joke of course cause im sure the NHC and him are seeing the overall picture like i am.

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Watches / Warnings [Re: DroopGB31]
      #22353 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:17 AM

I figure Hurricane Watches for FL East coast by 5am Thursday morning?

scottsvb1
Unregistered

Re: Stewart fans [Re: scottsvb1]
      #22354 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:20 AM

I better spell his name right stewart,...duh!

Brad
Unregistered

Hebert's box/square misinformation [Re: MikeC]
      #22355 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:35 AM

Someone - I think wxmanrichie(sp?) - wrote: "My take - Just remember that 90% of all major hurricanes that go through Hebert's box hit Dade, Broward, or Palm Beach counties down the road as major hurricanes."

Again, I want to dispel incorrect information regarding Hebert's box/square. I am confident that the above statement regarding the 90% figure is incorrect. As far as I know, the 1928 hurricane and David are major hurricanes that hit S. Fla. after traveling through the box, but I'm not sure if they were even major hurricanes when they went through the box. (The above-quoted language suggests that being cat 3+ while in the box is one of the criteria -- not sure if that was intentional.) Andrew was outside the box, although close to it, and was not a major hurricane (was it a hurricane at all?) at the time.

I don't know of any others that have passed through the box and struck South Florida as majors. So that's 2 that fit the criteria, 3 if you count Andrew; it's not even mathematically possible to come up with a number of "misses" that would make that 90% figure correct.

And there's a reason for that: it isn't correct. Many storms pass through the box without affecting South Florida. Some of those storms pass through the box as major hurricanes.

Passing through the box does correlate to a higher chance of a South Florida hit, and a hit by a major (which makes sense based on location - north of the islands but not too far north, SE of S. Fla., etc.), but it's not a 90% guarantee or anything close to it.

I think Hebert's box/square has become the stuff of urban legend.

-Brad

it is misinformation (probably not deliberate). should read something like 90% of majors that hit the three SE florida counties from the atlantic side went through the box, not the converse. of course half that go through the box probably miss the east coast, and the remainder hit elsewhere. -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Wed Sep 01 2004 03:53 AM)

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: Hebert's box/square misinformation [Re: Brad]
      #22357 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:40 AM

GFS 00Z is starting to come in..

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

AgentB
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Park, FL
      #22358 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:42 AM

More about Hebert's Box here:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/storm/content/weather/special/storm/reports/070603box.html

And it seems that the criteria is it must be a major hurricane when it passes through this box. Not a major hurricane then it isn't even factored into the equation.

--------------------
Check the Surf

Edited by AgentB (Wed Sep 01 2004 03:49 AM)

DroopGB31
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola
Re: Hebert's box/square misinformation [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #22361 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:53 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Jason. I basically agree with your West Palm Beach landfall, maybe just a few miles north of there but thats just my opinion. I guess we just gotta wait and see what the trough in the plains will do to the ridge. If the ridge is stronger than forecast that could pose a problem for the Gulf Coast after she makes landfall. Im starting to become alittle concerned. Whew, what a week its been so far, and its only gonna get more hectic.

SirCane
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola, FL
Re: Stewart fans [Re: wxman007]
      #22362 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:58 AM

The way the models are trending-I'm afraid we're going to see a double landfall. I think she may reach the Gulf after hitting S. Florida. Tomorrow will be very interesting to see how things are trending!

This season is going down in History-that's for sure!

Brad
Unregistered

#22363 - Wed Sep 01 2004 04:00 AM

Based on HF's comment, I should clarify: I definitely did not mean to accuse anyone of making a deliberate misstatement or of trying to hype anything up. To the contrary, I think whoever posted the Hebert's stat believed it, and was trying to convey helpful information, which of course is a great thing. I just wanted to point out what portion of it I thought was incorrect, although well-intended.

-Brad

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Latest GFS..... [Re: Brad]
      #22364 - Wed Sep 01 2004 04:17 AM

102 hr GFS

Post more as it comes in....

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Edited by wxman007 (Wed Sep 01 2004 04:22 AM)

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Latest GFS..... [Re: wxman007]
      #22365 - Wed Sep 01 2004 04:24 AM

Jason,
greetings from Orlando.
Can you possibly make this thing go away? Please.....

Two hurricanes in 3 weeks......and this one is going to be a slow wet windy one.

Central Florida has been so fortunate for so many years.

All I can think of to say is: YIKES.......SOS....

joepub1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Jacksonville,Fla
      #22366 - Wed Sep 01 2004 04:26 AM

Looks like a just south of the Cape hit, moves very much like the NHC track thru 3-4 days; also has a WNW turn to go into the state.

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: Latest GFS..... [Re: joepub1]
      #22367 - Wed Sep 01 2004 04:27 AM

Actually, as it is coming in....it slows to a crawl and then rides the coastline just inland thru JAX and into SE Ga...just another wrinkle...

--------------------
Jason Kelley

joepub1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Jacksonville,Fla
      #22369 - Wed Sep 01 2004 04:36 AM

And, something I'm getting so tired of seeing, it then turns north and runs up the coast inland . My house again!! We may have a Charley in the other direction. A bunch of towns and cities along the coast, trying to figure out where she's going to pass inland. Then everybody north of that point deals with her. But no crossing of the state. SE Georgia takes it from FL. I'm begining to believe in this track just a little, I've seen it in one form or another for 2 days now. The sooner she goes inland, the better for N FL, but if it's a late turn, we may still have a Cat 2-3 to deal with.....

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
      #22370 - Wed Sep 01 2004 04:41 AM

Yeah well it looks like when it comes in to the state around vero it travels up the middle of state into GA.. The worse thing about this scenario is that Hurricane Force winds will be felt on both sides of the coast.

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

javlin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Biloxi,MS
      #22371 - Wed Sep 01 2004 04:41 AM

It seems a bit slow in getting there doesn't it.I'm just playing with the speed of 15mph on it extrap would be there in about 60hrs.I used 13 degrees W and 6 degrees N.simple trig.The NHC must really see a slow down coming.

scottsvb1
Unregistered

#22372 - Wed Sep 01 2004 04:43 AM

Its hard to see but just think over Freeport-west palm it just goes stationary almost as a ridge builds over it,,then moves around the ridge into the florida near Melbourne then north into se Ga. But for 24 hours it moves about 40 miles. I feel bad for anyone on the coast if this is only off by 25-40 miles to the west of where its shown near 79W and 27N.

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: Latest GFS..... [Re: javlin]
      #22373 - Wed Sep 01 2004 04:44 AM

Yep..GFS slows it to a crawl before landfall....

--------------------
Jason Kelley

WeatherNLU
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: New Orleans, LA
Re: Latest GFS..... [Re: javlin]
      #22374 - Wed Sep 01 2004 04:46 AM

I agree on the discussion at 11PM, amazingly written. What I don't understand is the track. Hurricanes just do not do what they are proposing. I don't know, it's just an odd looking track with the stop and the immediate movement in another direction. I am becoming more and more concerned here in New Orleans about a Florida east coast landfall and a movement towards the Gulf. I still am fairly confident that if it does get into the Gulf it's a Mobile eastward problem, but I just hate it when they get into the Gulf! I just hope something changes, because this is going to be one for the history books if it makes a US landfall, which at this point is almost a given.

--------------------
I survived Hurricane Katrina, but nothing I owned did!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 159 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 19721

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center