F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
FireAng85
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Mount Dora, FL 32757
Re: Back and Tracking Ivan [Re: MikeC]
      #24228 - Wed Sep 08 2004 11:40 PM

I'm so glad this site is back up! I haven't posted before, so here's a little intro. My name is Angie and I am firefighter in Orange County, FL. I live in Lake County, Sorrento to be exact, and we got hit pretty hard with Frances. Orange Co was pummeled by Charley. I was watching the banter going on with you all before Frances and I was educated alot on Hurricanes from you all. Thank You very much. I am scared to death of Ivan. I sent my kids to Virginia to be with family for Frances because I knew my husband and I would be working non stop once the storm cleared out. (He is a firefighter too). Well, my kids are coming home tomorrow and I am so worried because I can't send them back up north. I am stressed out beyond belief. I have been working 100+ hours a week and then having my own damage at home to contend with is overwhelming.
Ugh, I'm sorry to ramble. I just wanted to thank you all for all the info and I will continue to read what you guys say so I can stay informed. I also sent some money to help with the site, albeit, it isn't much, it's the best I can do right now.
Thanks again!!
Angie Robertson
Sorrento, FL

--------------------
Angie Robertson
OCFRD
"So others may live"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Southern4sure
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Land O Lakes, FL
Novice question [Re: FireAng85]
      #24229 - Wed Sep 08 2004 11:51 PM

I'm always hearing talk about looking at water vapors. I have looked, but I can't tell anything. My hubby asked me a question and I knew this would be the best place to ask.

When your looking at water vapor, does it indicate a trough or a ridge? Does the hurrricane follow a trough? How do you tell what is steering looking at the water vapor?

Thanks in advance, Southern4sure

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
Re: Ivan the Terrible [Re: Keith234]
      #24230 - Wed Sep 08 2004 11:55 PM

Latest vortex message from recon has the pressure down to 938, max flight wind 131 kt.

Bill

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Back and Tracking Ivan [Re: FireAng85]
      #24231 - Wed Sep 08 2004 11:58 PM

Quote:

I'm so glad this site is back up! I haven't posted before, so here's a little intro. My name is Angie and I am firefighter in Orange County, FL. I live in Lake County, Sorrento to be exact, and we got hit pretty hard with Frances. Orange Co was pummeled by Charley. I was watching the banter going on with you all before Frances and I was educated alot on Hurricanes from you all. Thank You very much. I am scared to death of Ivan. I sent my kids to Virginia to be with family for Frances because I knew my husband and I would be working non stop once the storm cleared out. (He is a firefighter too). Well, my kids are coming home tomorrow and I am so worried because I can't send them back up north. I am stressed out beyond belief. I have been working 100+ hours a week and then having my own damage at home to contend with is overwhelming.
Ugh, I'm sorry to ramble. I just wanted to thank you all for all the info and I will continue to read what you guys say so I can stay informed. I also sent some money to help with the site, albeit, it isn't much, it's the best I can do right now.
Thanks again!!
Angie Robertson
Sorrento, FL

Its good to have you here. I admire you for the work that you obviously were involved in during the hurricanes. I hope things work out well for you and your children through this next week.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
      #24232 - Thu Sep 09 2004 12:02 AM

Man... I was getting the shakes! A couple days without this board is just too hard. I'm on a 12 step plan though...

We've been "mapping" away at Skeetobite.com. Some new stuff and updated tracks as signifcant changes are released.

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Ivan the Terrible [Re: BillD]
      #24233 - Thu Sep 09 2004 12:02 AM

In a way that is good! Maybe it will intensify and reach its peak before landfalling any place else and will be annoying rain only for some one who needs it.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

kelcot
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Canton, Ga
Re: Model data... [Re: wxman007]
      #24234 - Thu Sep 09 2004 12:02 AM

Jason- I must say that our girls trip to PCB this past weekend was BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!! The weather was warm, the sun was shining and the water was flat!

For all of you other Floridians expecting Ivan- my husband is on is way down to Florida to help restock the hardware side of Lowes (flashlights, batteries, etc) and my brother in law is on his way to help restock the lumber side. So, worry not, you will have plenty of supplies if needed for Ivan!

Kelly

--------------------
Kelly

ShanaTX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Texas
      #24235 - Thu Sep 09 2004 12:07 AM

Glad this site is back. Most level headed intelligent weather board I've run across.

Seen the 8pm public advisory?

Quote:

Ivan IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON HURRICANE SCALE. REPORTS FROM AN AIR FORCE RESERVE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE INCREASED TO 145 MPH...235 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 70 MILES...110 KM... FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 160 MILES...260 KM. BONAIRE REPORTED A WIND GUST OF 41 MPH A FEW HOURS AGO.

'shana

SoonerShawn
Unregistered

WOW! [Re: Southern4sure]
      #24238 - Thu Sep 09 2004 12:12 AM

Down to 938mb and up to 145mph and it's not done. It has moved a bit more due west in the last couple of hrs. I know it is just a wobble but let's just hope that maybe,just maybe, it somehow is more of a trend than a wobble so that it would cause a track away from Florida. I know it is a LONG shot at best but it is all there is to hope for.

By the way, I haven't stated this until now but my girlfriend's mom lives in Clearwater and we are very concerned. That is another reason why I have shown such interest and concern over what Ivan is planning on doing. She just moved there from here earlier this year. In joking, I told her when she left that she would be hit by a hurricane this year because she was moving there. I wish I had never opened my big mouth about a hurricane hitting Florida.

ShawnS

ShawnS

bobbi
Unregistered

happy to see you back [Re: ShanaTX]
      #24239 - Thu Sep 09 2004 12:12 AM

Really missed being able to check to see what everyone had to say.

I can't tell you how many people who don't know that I post or use this site told me that they use flhurricane .. and were upset it was down.

As for Ivan... a very hard storm to predict. Harder than most.

Bobbi

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: happy to see you back [Re: bobbi]
      #24241 - Thu Sep 09 2004 12:24 AM

>>> As for Ivan... a very hard storm to predict. Harder than most

Agreed bobbi. This new bad boy could strike anywhere from Brownsville (or south) to the Keys (or east). Like JK, though, if you asked me now where it's final US destination is...unfortunately...I would have to say FL West Coast. Entrance at Tampa & Exit at WPB. God I sure hope not.

Since 2004 is breaking all the rules (Brazilian hurricane, 3 Fl hits, late [fairly] start w/record August activity), it's pure speculation at this point. Does anyone remember Aruba under a Hurricane Watch??? This bad boy is SO far south and I just don't see anything preventing it from getting into the GOM in a few days. Good god.

At least there's several days for everyone to get their lives back together (sort of) before we can think about US landfall. Time to start saving up on sleep.....

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Fred08
Unregistered

Re: pretty w/sun [Re: bobbi]
      #24242 - Thu Sep 09 2004 12:24 AM

the sun is setting and has a pretty eye

the eye of Ivan

BillD
User

Reged:
Re: pretty w/sun [Re: Fred08]
      #24243 - Thu Sep 09 2004 12:28 AM

Yes, a major hurricane at sunset is a beautiful and terrifying thing to behold.... And Ivan is no exception.

Bill

Fred08
Unregistered

Re: bigger than Frances? [Re: BillD]
      #24244 - Thu Sep 09 2004 12:31 AM

is Ivan bigger than Frances? storm wise....the width of storm

bigger than Frances?

trinibaje
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: MIAMI, FLORIDA
Re: pretty w/sun [Re: BillD]
      #24245 - Thu Sep 09 2004 12:32 AM

i am not wish casting but if it to hit florida i hope it hurts the southern part more.. keys south dade??? because all those people in ft. myers-tampa, orlando.. they have had enough.... i hope Ivan spares them.

--------------------
-----------MY 2005 PREDICTION--------
15/10/5

HMY
Unregistered

Re: bigger than Frances? [Re: Fred08]
      #24246 - Thu Sep 09 2004 12:32 AM

No, check out Skeetobite's comparison

Fred08
Unregistered

Re: bigger than Frances? [Re: HMY]
      #24248 - Thu Sep 09 2004 12:37 AM

um... what's the latest link.... the last i saw was from 5am..... its changed in 12hrs and i think we keep getting bigger...poor cuba!

last one i saw

BillD
User

Reged:
Re: bigger than Frances? [Re: Fred08]
      #24249 - Thu Sep 09 2004 12:42 AM

If it were not so close to South America, I think it would already be as big as Frances, but at least a thrid of it is over land right now. And it has exploded on IR in the last couple of hours. I would not be surprised if it is a cat5 at 11 PM. As GG said earlier, hopefully it will burn itself out over water and not stay at such a high intensity as it approaches land.

Bill

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: happy to see you back [Re: LI Phil]
      #24250 - Thu Sep 09 2004 12:43 AM

Your right Bobbi these storms are very difficult to predict, as I said in a earlier post. This hurricane seems to be wobbling just like Frances, right know it tracking more north of west than just west. This storm could make a sharp turn to the north and then surprise us all, or remain traveling west northwest and entering the GOM and causing mass destruction. Bottom line is that the storm is very potent and will continue to increase in strength, maybe even breaking some records.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

rd522525
Unregistered

Re: pretty w/sun [Re: Fred08]
      #24251 - Thu Sep 09 2004 12:43 AM

it looks like hell to me!

care to clarify that last statement? hell as in shot to s--t, or hell as in a whole world of hurt?

Edited by LI Phil (Thu Sep 09 2004 12:45 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 123 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 24138

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center