F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

General Discussion >> Other Weather Events

Pages: 1
Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Temperatures Depart from Normal
      #24583 - Fri Sep 10 2004 12:31 AM

I have been watching the temperature maps these past couple of weeks, there seems to be a 4 C depression in the Eastern Pacific, and about the same in the Hudson bay. That's find and dandy but is this some type of hint to what winter will be like, or does the temp. difference some type of way of balancing out the up and coming El nino. Also, this next system coming into the Pacific Northwest could spell some trouble for the Mid-west, theres a lot of mixing going on, I would watch out if I lived in the Mid-west these couple of days.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Temperatures Depart from Normal [Re: Keith234]
      #24602 - Fri Sep 10 2004 01:36 AM

Are these sea surface temperatures, or actual air temperatures? The atmospheric system always tries to remain in balance (stable), and the purpose of instability is to restore stability. Often times, in response to one event, a contrasting event will appear...so this could be a response like you mention, albeit not necessarily for El NiƱo (which may or may not come). Or, it could be something else entirely: waters in the equatorial EPac have been running below normal all summer long.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Temperatures Depart from Normal [Re: Clark]
      #24606 - Fri Sep 10 2004 01:40 AM

Your totally right, and I was talking about water temps. Also Hudson Bay's water temps have also been below normal. The NAO and the PNA are both going negative, that might spawn off some strong Highs and Lows, maybe even some Nor'easters. The GFS has already said that there would be snow flurries in Pennslyvania, can you believe it? El nino or not somethings happening and it just might be a clue to the outcome of our winter.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

kelcot
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Canton, Ga
Re: Temperatures Depart from Normal [Re: Keith234]
      #24612 - Fri Sep 10 2004 02:04 AM

jason- I remember when I was younger, my mom told me that the sevarity of a hurricane season is usuially reflected in the winter. So far, she's been right. This has nothing to do with science or met. but, for some reason it's always seemed to work out that way.

--------------------
Kelly

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Temperatures Depart from Normal [Re: kelcot]
      #25016 - Fri Sep 10 2004 09:44 PM

Could the reason why we have more so called "ridging" be as a result of the cooler water temps off the northeast coast? That would be logically correct, because then that would drive the hurricanes more westward into Florida and the Gulf area.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4893

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center