F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)
cjzydeco
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Sebastian, FL
Re: Florida in the crosshairs - again! [Re: Katie]
      #30123 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:18 PM

Quote:

Is there any chance I might get caught up in this storm on my return flight as we land?

If the forecast track verifies, the airport in Orlando would more than likely close late Saturday and your flight would be cancelled. They usually fly the planes out of Dodge when a hurricane is coming.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Fletch
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
      #30124 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:20 PM

I'm not sold on this due West movement. Looking at WV I would expect more of a WNW movement once it gets going again.

--------------------
Irwin M. Fletcher

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
      #30125 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:20 PM

Quote:

Just a general question for you all. I haven't had time yet this morning to do some searching online regarding Jeanne and her new track towards FL.

I am leaving for Chicago in the morning and returning on Sunday at 2. Is there any chance I might get caught up in this storm on my return flight as we land? I was just curious if I should try to get an earlier flight or a later flight. Or, if I should just wait it out another day in Chicago? My biggest concern would be travelling with my little girl from the airport home in bad weather. Any suggestions would be most helpful!

Katie

That's a tough call but my best guess is that by 2pm on Sunday, you might not have a choice but to wait it out in Chicago. Any time after dark on Saturday *could* result in a cancelled flight depending on Jeannes' actual track and position.

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

leetdan
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Osceola County
      #30126 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:21 PM

Most of the airports closed a day in advance for the other storms, so really it depends on where you're flying to. MCO and PBI look to be more in the direct path at the moment, though that could easily change (along with the timeframe) as the day moves on. Keep your eyes peeled, and your options open.

--------------------
[witty phrase here]

Ormond Suzie
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Ormond Beach, Florida
hurricane supplies [Re: Redbird]
      #30127 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:26 PM

Redbird - your suggestion of a portable mini-fridge is a good one, especially, as you said, for families who need to keep milk cold for their children.

Here's a low-tech solution to consider as well: milk (even chocolate or soy-based) is now available as individual-serving boxed drinks (much like those juicy juice boxes). It doesn't have to be refrigerated until it's opened and would usually be finished at one meal, it doesn't need to be mixed with water like dry milk, it's convenient for storage with your hurricane supplies. If you prefer it chilled, you can even throw some boxes in the freezer while you've still got power and let them freeze into small ice blocks. When I was a kid, the milk we got with our school lunches was often (accidently) frozen solid - tasted fine once it thawed. In fact, for Frances I made up my own individual servings of orange juice and soy milk and put them in the freezer instead of buying ice. Worked great at keeping things cool, at least for the shorter outage we had that time around.

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: hurricane supplies [Re: Ormond Suzie]
      #30128 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:29 PM

Freezer bags are excellent to make ice in.. They stack real good too so you jam your freezer full of em and it last for a long time.. Once the water thaws its also drinkable or can be used for dishes..

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Fletch
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: hurricane supplies [Re: Ormond Suzie]
      #30129 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:31 PM

Headline from todays Sun Sentinel

Fire kills 5 inside boarded-up home in Homestead

For those of us, and I know there are many, that still have our shutters/plywood up, please be careful. 3 of the 5 people were kids. These storms don't even need to hit to cause problems.

--------------------
Irwin M. Fletcher

leetdan
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Osceola County
Re: hurricane supplies [Re: Fletch]
      #30130 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:33 PM

Yeah... The boards we left up were only hard-to-reach, we made sure all the bedrooms were left accessible.

Sad to hear this happened

--------------------
[witty phrase here]

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
      #30131 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:35 PM

The next big model run isnt until the 12Z, are the 6Z's out ?

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Re: preparations [Re: scottsvb]
      #30132 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:37 PM

REPEATING THE 8 AM EDT POSITION...25.6 N... 69.5 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...DRIFTING ERRATICALLY. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS...100 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 966 MB.

Scitt, or one of the more weather savvy, I don't remembrr this being 'expected' and I didn't see it coming last night. In the past, I've noticed that stops and drifts often preceeded direction changes. Any thoughts on the significance of this in terms of track changes?

Regardless of track changes, any time spent in the Ocean is more time for (hopefully) good things to occur.

--------------------
Richard

Edited by Ricreig (Thu Sep 23 2004 01:40 PM)

Wanna-Be-Storm-Chaser
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Deltona, FL
Re: Ivan [Re: MadDog]
      #30133 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:38 PM

I know how you feel. I live in Deltona too. Still to much debris that needs to be picked up.

--------------------
I survived Jeanne, Charley, and Frances

cocoa Beach
Unregistered

Re: preparations [Re: Ricreig]
      #30134 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:40 PM

After watching the Sat loops since 8am
No real movement noted, I think If some kind of Westward motion hasn't started at 5pm tonight, Jeanne will not be a threat to FL Central Coast, my guess is that she starts to upwell and fizzle.
That is my gut feeling which by the way was dead on for Charley and Frances.

AgentB
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Park, FL
      #30135 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:45 PM

Ah yes, a good 'ole minifridge. One of those and a charged battery backup, and you'll be good for a while.

I was surprised that Jeanne hadn't moved more in the 9hrs between 11pm Wed and 8am Thursday. She basically drifted south, came back a little north and drifted a little west. As of the 5am discussion the NHC had her tracking as far south as 25.4N(70.5/72.1W). It will be interesting to see if she does indeed track further south and stay along that line as she heads west. Hopefully this slight jog back to the north(25.5 to 25.6N) signals that she's done heading south. This morning I could see where she would head if she was moving WNW, and it appeared to be, at the time, towards the SC/GA border. However, the high pressure to the north of her isn't stationary and that's why the path will change. The 5am discussion yesterday, which had her off the coast of Florida, had her passing 70W at about 26N. If this does end up happening, which it could with the way she's sort of stationary right now, then we would probably see a shift of the paths back to the right a little bit.

--------------------
Check the Surf

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Re: preparations [Re: cocoa Beach]
      #30136 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:45 PM

Quote:

..That is my gut feeling which by the way was dead on for Charley and Frances.

Your guts are as good as mine and you appear to have a good track record. I tend to agree that if movement doesn't start within 5-6 hours, it improves the forecast for Florida if for no other reason that the pros forecasts are also off and something happened unexpectedly. Whatever that might be, it is unlikely to be *worse* for those under the gun but could be for our neighbors.

--------------------
Richard

from Gainesville
Unregistered

movement? [Re: Ricreig]
      #30137 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:56 PM

After looking at the IR loop for the last 6 hours, it sure looks like the eye has obviously moved to the W, possibly to the WNW. Is this my imagination?

Vladimirr
Unregistered

Re: movement? [Re: from Gainesville]
      #30138 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:59 PM

That's been my impression as well.

LanceW

Reged:
Re: movement? [Re: Vladimirr]
      #30139 - Thu Sep 23 2004 02:01 PM

Looks like west to me, but I am just a newbie here...

Wanna-Be-Storm-Chaser
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Deltona, FL
Re: preparations [Re: Ricreig]
      #30140 - Thu Sep 23 2004 02:01 PM

In the latest sat, is she moving somewhat like wnw instead of w?

--------------------
I survived Jeanne, Charley, and Frances

cjzydeco
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Sebastian, FL
Re: preparations [Re: Wanna-Be-Storm-Chaser]
      #30141 - Thu Sep 23 2004 02:08 PM

If you look at just the latest motion, then it definately appears WNW. But if you look at the overall motion of the past 6 hours or so, the eye kinda seems to be wobbling around another axis. If that makes any sense.

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: preparations [Re: Wanna-Be-Storm-Chaser]
      #30142 - Thu Sep 23 2004 02:09 PM

Quote:

In the latest sat, is she moving somewhat like wnw instead of w?

I don't think she's finished wobbling yet....

And I guess I type slowly too!

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Edited by Terra (Thu Sep 23 2004 02:10 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 145 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 54565

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center