F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Not Anxious Anymore about Storms [Re: Colleen A.]
      #30282 - Thu Sep 23 2004 05:58 PM

I am no longer anxious about storms anymore. At the age of 35 I have beat a deadly form of Bladder Cancer, and 3 hurricanes (andrew, Charley, Frances) so whats one more. My house has seen better days after this storm, my yard is now an extension of Lake Toho, but I am no longer stressing. Annoyed yes.. Its always such an inconvenience and the cleanup and aftermath are hell, but we are all alive.. Hopefully this will me our last scare of the year, and then our lives can quiet down some. Lifes just one big adventure.. right ?

Hopefully I do not have a cats life, as I would only have 5 more to go..

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Jeanne [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #30283 - Thu Sep 23 2004 05:59 PM

Why do people return plywood? Even if you don't have to put it up, there's always the next storm to worry about...never understood that.

2:00 advisory is out...she's still 105 mph and further strengthening is possible...pressure 966mb. 25.8N 70.0W.

Bad news is she's moving W at 6 mph...when is the northward turn supposed to start?

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Kal
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Space Coast
Re: Steering Currents [Re: Steve]
      #30284 - Thu Sep 23 2004 05:59 PM

Wow. Some models suggesting the possibility of a second Jeanne landfall in FL?! Bastardi seeing potential for an Ivan 3.0 heading for the AL/FL border? As if life in the war zone known as Santa Rosa County, FL wasn't fun enough already.

Thank God my belated honeymoon starts this weekend...in Northern Minnesota.

clyde w.
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Steering Currents [Re: Kal]
      #30285 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:01 PM

Hmmm, check out this link:

NHC Floater

Add in the forecast plot points. Do you get a due west storm into Lake Okechobee as a Cat 3!?!?!?! Did I just get a preview of the 5:00 forecast??

jlauderdal
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FLorida
Re: Jeanne [Re: LI Phil]
      #30286 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:02 PM

Quote:

Why do people return plywood? Even if you don't have to put it up, there's always the next storm to worry about...never understood that.

2:00 advisory is out...she's still 105 mph and further strengthening is possible...pressure 966mb. 25.8N 70.0W.

Bad news is she's moving W at 6 mph...when is the northward turn supposed to start?

well this is florida and people do very strange things like take shutters down earlier this week when jeanne was sitting out there and there is 6 weeks to go..i took 50% of my down after Frances and am glad i only have 50% to put up the nexxt 2 days

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
2 Landfalls in Florida? [Re: Kal]
      #30287 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:03 PM

What are the models predicting as far as a 2nd landfall...I mean where? Thanks.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
      #30288 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:03 PM

I don't think you can return plywood. thankfully I only have a couple of sheets. I DO NOT like the NOGAPS model anymore.

leetdan
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Osceola County
      #30289 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:05 PM

As I've mentioned elsewhere, storms bring out both the best and the worst in people. There are people out there that are so petty (yes, some desperately need every penny they have, but this IS Florida) that they'll take back anything they can. If you ask me, the issue is that Lowes/Home Depot etc. accept plywood (and even generators) being returned after a storm.

I'm still a few years away from owning my first home, but I can guarantee the first thing I'll do is make sure it has shutters installed.

--------------------
[witty phrase here]

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Steering Currents [Re: clyde w.]
      #30290 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:06 PM

The floater with the forecast points is down right scary, but that's NOT the official NHC 5-day track. A tad more west than the 11:00 (big shock there).

I urge everyone to click on the WV Loop and add the forecast points (the little box at the top of the right hand side of the frame)...puts a CAT III in the middle of Lake Okeechobee...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

AgentB
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Park, FL
Re: Steering Currents [Re: Kal]
      #30291 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:07 PM

Well the NHC says west, but from 11am-2pm she did move west and north, in almost equal increments. Something I made note to keep track of was where she crossed 70W. Right now she is sitting on top of 70W at 25.8N. With the 5AM discussion this morning it was looking like she would pass 70W(actually 70.5W) at about 25.4N(11AM it was revised to 70W around 25.6N), so she's already almost a half a degree further north than that(about .2 degrees further north than the 11am disc.). And she could possibly be even further north by the time she reaches 70.5W Most forecasts had her heading due west along the same latitude for a while then turning NW/N. Definitely have to keep an eye on whether she travels along 25.8N or continues to gain latitude.

--------------------
Check the Surf

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Re: Jeanne [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #30292 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:07 PM

Quote:

I don't think you can return plywood. thankfully I only have a couple of sheets. I DO NOT like the NOGAPS model anymore.

I used to work at Scotty's in New Smyrna Beach about 10 years ago or so while I was in college at UCF -- at the return desk of all things. We took Plywood back if it was in good condition (Ie no holes drilled in it, not warped, etc) and that was the only case. We did have people try to return things that were used like that, and basically politely turned them away on it and suggested to save it for the next storm.

Also, don't bother with 1/4" plywood, 1/2" or greater is the only thing that'll really do much. And during some cases people were buying hardwood plywood (which is massively expensive) to use for boarding up. It works, but it's a big waste in my opinion.

Redbird
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Ditch Witch [Re: Colleen A.]
      #30293 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:08 PM

Just keep an eye on her................yeah I am resigned to it as well since I am more the bullseye right on the coast.. One day at a time...................

clyde w.
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Steering Currents [Re: LI Phil]
      #30294 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:09 PM

LI Phil--I looked at both a little more closely, and I think the forecast track overlay is off somehow. I think those are the forecast plot points for lattitude, but somehow they've been skewed for longitude.

Or.. a major track shift is about to occur since these are NHC links. But I think what I wrote above is probably the case. Sorry for the confusion.

Kal
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Space Coast
Re: 2 Landfalls in Florida? [Re: Colleen A.]
      #30295 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:11 PM

Colleen - I was referring to the posted link earlier in this thread that showed Jeanne passing through FL and seemingly toward the Panhandle/Big Bend.

CMC
Hopefully it won't play out that way.

For the first time in my life I'm suffering from hurricane fatigue. I guess a hit will do that to you. Maybe as a weather hobbiest I should focus on something a little less potent for awhile....like...fog.

Edited by Kal (Thu Sep 23 2004 06:13 PM)

cocoa Beach
Unregistered

Re: Steering Currents [Re: AgentB]
      #30296 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:12 PM

I agree:
from 11-2pm she moved almost equally.
.2 N and .3 W

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc:
Link [Re: Kal]
      #30297 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:12 PM

Link didn't work.??

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

Wanna-Be-Storm-Chaser
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Deltona, FL
      #30298 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:16 PM

WHAT THE HECK IS THAT???? NOT THE SAME SHOW FROM EARLIER TODAY!
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-vis-loop.html

--------------------
I survived Jeanne, Charley, and Frances

Edited by Wanna-Be-Storm-Chaser (Thu Sep 23 2004 06:19 PM)

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: Steering Currents [Re: cocoa Beach]
      #30299 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:17 PM

I think its fairly close to the forecasted track.. Maybe a little off, but you know how these things can wobble.. So I guess I am not sure if this is that far off from what was expected. I am not sure how much of an effect this will have on the track. Seems like most models are now pretty clustered on a westward movement, at least for the next day or so..

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

AdmittedHacker
Unregistered

Re: Steering Currents [Re: AgentB]
      #30301 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:20 PM

True, from the 11:00 am. to the 2:00 pm update Jeanne traveled 24 miles on a course of 306 degrees. That's a WNW course in my book... but I'll defer to the experts. I'm sure they see things that I cannot and if they say it's going west, it must be going west, right?

AdmittedHacker

Ormond Suzie
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Ormond Beach, Florida
      #30302 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:20 PM

Quote:

Hmmm, check out this link:

NHC Floater

Add in the forecast plot points. Do you get a due west storm into Lake Okechobee as a Cat 3!?!?!?! Did I just get a preview of the 5:00 forecast??

The forecast points go with the last two frames of the floater - for some reason, it has jumped from a longer shot to a closer-up one. The points show throughout the loop, put only go with the last two frames - I think.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 143 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 40219

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center