F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: The ONLY Bonus point question tonight [Re: MrSpock]
      #31346 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:39 AM

Yes sunspot activity has occured, could someone give me a chart on when it was the greatest or something. Because say it was in July then it would take about 3 months to radiate back out of the Earth and therefore effect our climate and amount of hurricanes late season. Did a sunspot occur in late May? I know they run in 11 year cycles but sun spots aren't the only thing that effect growth of hurricanes Mr. Spock.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
COgal
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Lake County FL
Re: The Poll [Re: LI Phil]
      #31347 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:40 AM

You got my vote!

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: The Poll [Re: LI Phil]
      #31348 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:41 AM

I voted for CFHC natch...

hope I didn't have any hanging chads though... I know how you Florida people are.... hehe

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: The ONLY Bonus point question tonight [Re: Keith234]
      #31349 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:41 AM

Didn't say they were, but the activity has been running high for years. Unfortunately, I don't have access to solar charts, just remembering things I have read in the past.
And, I never said sunspots grow hurricanes. I was giving an explanation to what can change a climate that challenges the accepted belief.

COgal
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re:Critters and Varmints [Re: sthorne]
      #31350 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:44 AM

You have a rabbit roaming the house??

Watch out cause I heard there's some kind of rabbit voo doo hex out there!

Liz L.
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: St Cloud, Florida
      #31351 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:45 AM

I do plan on riding this out in St cloud, my neighbors and i have a good network to keep us all safe. we all went bought supplies shared with each other and now we hope together that we are all safe. I understand they say this one is going to be worse than the other fore named storms but i feel certain with the hope and love of our familes and neighbors that all will make it though. Please i mean no harm by saying i will ride it out. But there are so many more needy here in st cloud that need the shelters than i do. We have many many trailor parks here with elderly in them and they are important to. I pray for all of florida to survive this horrbile plight that is upon us. and hope to god this is the last one for us this season. but as i fear all bets are off till nov 30th. SO battening down the hatches and slinging the letters from UPS . i will post more tommorrow of our contions here. take care all and thank you for all the insights you have given all of us.

Edited by Liz L. (Sat Sep 25 2004 01:49 AM)

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Jim Cantore sighting [Re: Unregistered User]
      #31352 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:46 AM

Okay, it's official now. Stephanie Abrahms is in Palm Beach. She was the new point person during Ivan last week.
Jim Cantore, as Susie said, is in Daytona Beach Shores.

Can anybody tell me why it's " Pink " week at the weather channel?

davet
Unregistered

Re:Critters and Varmints [Re: COgal]
      #31353 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:46 AM

MAKE HER TURN RABBIT !!!!!

Staggy
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Lutz, FL
Re: From the Marine Forecast [Re: MrSpock]
      #31354 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:46 AM

The following is from the 5PM marine forecast for Jupiter Inlet to Deerfield Beach:

.SATURDAY...WINDS NORTHWEST TO NORTH 50 TO 55 KNOTS WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 75 KNOTS. NEAR SHORE...SEAS 10 TO 12 FEET BUILDING TO 14 TO 16 FEET IN THE AFTERNOON. IN THE GULF STREAM...SEAS 14 TO 17 FEET BUILDING TO OVER 20 FEET IN THE AFTERNOON. INTRACOASTAL WATERS EXTREMELY ROUGH. WIDESPREAD SHOWERS.

.SATURDAY NIGHT...WINDS NORTHWEST 70 TO 75 KNOTS WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 100 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTHWEST TO WEST 45 TO 50 KNOTS AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 14 TO 18 FEET NEAR SHORE TO OVER 20 FEET WELL OFFSHORE. INTRACOASTAL WATERS EXTREMELY ROUGH IN EXPOSED AREAS WIDESPREAD SHOWERS.

No fishing this weekend.

ABWATCHER
Unregistered

Re: Thoughts from Lakeland - Bad Feelings [Re: danielw]
      #31355 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:46 AM

We haven't been ordered to evacuate yet; they're going to make that decision at 10:00 a.m. tomorrow. But if things stay the same as they do now, I'm sure the order will be given. If the early morning report looks bad, I hope to leave well before 10:00 a.m. I remember Dora, and I don't want to take any chances. All of the debris from Frances still hasn't been picked up, and it could get scary.

COgal
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: The Poll [Re: Frank P]
      #31356 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:46 AM

Quote:

I voted for CFHC natch...

hope I didn't have any hanging chads though... I know how you Florida people are.... hehe

You guys are not only informative but my oh my , you are clever and funny too! I want to be just like ONE of you guys when I grow up.

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: The ONLY Bonus point question tonight [Re: MrSpock]
      #31357 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:48 AM

I know that, and I wasn't accusing you of anything Mr.Spock. Goodnight to all, and my thoughts/prayers will be to everyone in the path of this hurricane. I need some sleep

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #31358 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:49 AM

ok, cool.
Have a good one.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Hey, you single ladies ... [Re: MrSpock]
      #31359 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:49 AM

I just wanted to highlight the contributions of a CFHC poster...

I'm not gonna reveal who it is at the moment, but he more than fits the definition of "REAL AMERICAN HERO" I know it it tough to focus on other thing when you are about to face a potential CAT III....

but anyone want to guess who this is?

He is a tad to modest but we owe this AMERICAN more than a simple "thanks."

In 5 minutes I will reveal who it is...but you guys ususally beat me to the "cutoff dates."

http://flhurricane.com/cyclone/viewmessage.php?Cat=0&message=11910&status=R&box=received

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

clueless
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
how much work do I need to do [Re: Liz L.]
      #31360 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:50 AM

I live in an apartment that is just about 5 miles directly north of MCO. My windows are all south facing. During Charley the wind blew directly on them and we thought they were gonna break but they did not. For Frances we moved all of our comouter equipment and our tv, etc to the most central part of the apartment and tarped it up. As it turns out the winds here were rather insignificant. We were able to sit on the porch for much of the storm and just watch it all unfold. I know this will be stronger, so I dont plan on beng able to sit outside, but I am wondering if the winds will be blowing directly at us or coming from the side as it stands right now.

It was a lot of work to move all of the stuff, and I will do it again if I have to, but...

davet
Unregistered

Re: Hey, you single ladies ... [Re: LI Phil]
      #31361 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:51 AM

JC who else ??

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: The Poll [Re: COgal]
      #31362 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:51 AM

I have been cheating on CFHC and perusing other sites.. Seems some people think this is going to make landfall in Broward/Dade County. Some think Palm Beach County.. My understanding is that storm is directly east of Boca Raton, which is on the border of Broward/Palm Beach County. I would not expect the storm to go south, but I guess you never know.

Edited by Lake Toho - Kissimmee (Sat Sep 25 2004 01:52 AM)

Shalafi
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Altamonte Springs
      #31363 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:51 AM

Interesting reading, sunspot talk is towards the bottom...JB mentioned

--------------------
Bryan
What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
God bless
I know very litte about weather. I'm here to learn mostly but will post friendly replies now and then. So if you don't want to see non-weather comments ignore me now. Thanx!

recmod
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Florida Attitude [Re: COgal]
      #31364 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:51 AM

I have witnessed in person today what several have posted about regarding storm apathy here in Central Florida. The tension reached an unbearable peak during the days leading up to Frances' landfall. The shock of Charley being far worse than we imagined could happen this far inland jolted nearly everyone into some sort of storm preparation for Frances.
This time around, the attitude is more a resigned acceptance. I have actually noticed yesterday and earlier today, that several homes in my neighborhood were taking their plywood DOWN!
I work in a local department store and, in the days immediately prior to Charley and Frances, business was non-existent. People were too pre-occupied to shop. Sure, the grocery and home improvement stores were packed, but clothing stores did no business. Today, we were very busy with people casually browsing....a totally different attitude from before.
Even tonight at the grocery store saw very little lines.....huge stocks of water, canned goods & batteries....no rush to grab these typical hurricane supplies. I certainly hope that Jeanne turns out to be a fizzle, because I fear the lack of preparation could come back and haunt many people.

One other way to look at this situation: maybe everyone still HAS tons of supplies and feel they have remained in a storm prep mode with little additional action necessary.

--Lou

Liz L.
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: St Cloud, Florida
Re: Florida Attitude [Re: recmod]
      #31365 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:53 AM

I hope so too for all thier sakes. I went to walmart today and it was a madhouse here. gas lines out the ying yang etc bad bad scene. I am glad i went a few days ago.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 140626

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center