F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
RevUp
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Jeanne slows, jogs north [Re: rule]
      #32698 - Sun Sep 26 2004 02:29 PM

Quote:

While I think this is just a wobble, I have to agree the North shift is taking it's time to go back Westward.

That last "band" that came over here actually decreased our winds. More rain, but the wind actually stopped several times and is still diminished.

Yes, same thing here in NW Tampa, Oldsmar area. Lots of rain, but winds have subsided a little, and power is obviously still on.

--------------------
"Let tomorrow worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Change Of Course? [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #32699 - Sun Sep 26 2004 02:32 PM

based on spc, i read they picked up on pressures drops north of tampa to north of cedar key, meaning a break in the ridge which would allow a north turn.... so we should begin to see a north turn soon, storm is about 30 miles se of tampa..... she should exit in GOM north of tampa for a short period today, and then pick up in forward speed tonight. that "turn they are talking about seems it is a wobble".... i still see a wnw movement.... also i see alot of dry air on south side of storm.
*****oh yeah some news! chief Met. Jason Kelley WJHG 7 panama city ....just had another girl a few hrs ago! Very healthly heavy 7lb girl!!!! All is doing well.

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Edited by Storm Hunter (Sun Sep 26 2004 02:38 PM)

RONJON
Unregistered

Re: Change Of Course? [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #32700 - Sun Sep 26 2004 02:34 PM

Looks like recent radar returns are moving it back to the west-northwest..may be temporary jog north or it may signal a more northwest movement rather than west-northwest. I doubt it will move due north up the state..still looks to exit into GOM somewhere from Tarpon Springs to Crystal River

Ronn
User

Reged:
Loc: Seminole, FL
Re: Jeanne Inland, Still Moving West to West Northwest [Re: Andy Dorr]
      #32701 - Sun Sep 26 2004 02:34 PM

Winds are now gusting to 60-65mph here in Pinellas County. My roof-mounted anemometer just recorded a gust to 46mph, and it is located in a very protected location. Actual wind gusts are much higher. I am just about to leave for the coastline to quantify some wind speeds. The current pressure at my house is 29.21in and falling.

Ronn

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Change Of Course? [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #32702 - Sun Sep 26 2004 02:35 PM

great news for Jason, congrats, I and hope they are all doing well, especially with the chaotic weather around.

rugrats
Unregistered

Re: Change Of Course? [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #32703 - Sun Sep 26 2004 02:38 PM

Congrats to Jason from another PC poster\lurker. Hmmm....think they'll name her Jeanne??

belleami
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: St George Island/ Apalachicola
baby girl...! [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #32704 - Sun Sep 26 2004 02:39 PM

Good on ya, Jason! Congratulations!

--------------------
hang on!

Ocala
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Ocala, FL
Re: Jeanne slows, jogs north [Re: rule]
      #32705 - Sun Sep 26 2004 02:39 PM

Quote:

Three weeks ago at this time I remember hearing all the transformers blowing up in the neighborhood. I haven't heard a single one yet now.

Actually a blessing for us to have Frances clear the weak stuff out.

Ocala: Here's a link you might could use: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KOCF.html

Rule - What part of Ocala? I'm out Ft. King between Baseline and 36th

Terry Johnson
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Tarpon Springs, FL
Re: Jeanne slows, jogs north [Re: RevUp]
      #32706 - Sun Sep 26 2004 02:39 PM

I would agree. That last radar loop that you posted looks more NW than WNW. But lets wait for another 45 minutes to see. Local weather reports sustained 47mph gusts to 60mph in St. Pete. Here in Tarpon, it has been pretty steady for the last 2 hours increasing in intensity. We have some pretty good bands starting to cross us now.

Andy Dorr

Reged:
Loc: Sarasota, Florida
Re: Jeanne Inland, Still Moving West to West Northwest [Re: rule]
      #32707 - Sun Sep 26 2004 02:41 PM Attachment (364 downloads)

Sarasota, Florida, 10:35 AM: Storm continues to look like its tracking west- north west. Eye continues to be in southern Polk County, south east of Lakeland. Weather has stayed constant sine last post. The wind is from the WNW (300 degrees) at 43 MPH (37 KT) gusting to 60 MPH (53 KT). Pressure is holding at 988 mb. It is 77 degrees and holding. Rain is harder, about a ¼” in the last hour. We estimate gusts near 70 mph in our neighborhood. A neighbor’s tree just fell and we heard a transformer go in the last few minutes. We are located about 7 miles south of the Manatee County line and Sarasota-Bradenton Airport. We are 2 blocks from the bay.

StormKrone
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Re: Change Of Course? [Re: MrSpock]
      #32708 - Sun Sep 26 2004 02:43 PM

Here in Crawfordville (south of Tallahassee about half way to the coast) the wind is picking up. Also, local (metro) radar is beginning to pick up the outer bands of Jeanne. The sun is still trying to break through and mostly we are dry. Also cool, can't complain about cool (78 degrees).

Data as of: 10:36 AM 9/26/2004
Current Conditions
Temperature: 78.0°F Pressure: 29.74"
Average Wind: 12mph NNE Sunrise: 7:28 AM
Humidity: 72% Sunset: 7:27 PM
Dew Point: 69°F Moonphase: -91
Heat Index: 82°F Monthly Rain: 4.52"

So Far Today
High: 78°F Rain: 0.00" Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Low: 72 °F Gusts: 28mph NNE

clyde w.
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Jeanne Rainfall Totals [Re: Unregistered User]
      #32709 - Sun Sep 26 2004 02:46 PM

Total rainfall from Jeanne at OIA is approaching 6 inches. I think the Doppler estimates are pretty close to accurate in this case.

Here in East Orange County, we've ben hit a lot harder than with Frances. Local media is reporting power poles snapped on Alafaya, and an apartment complex near me lost its roof on a couple of buildings.

Been up since 4:00--worst hit around 7:00 this morning, with gusts to around 80mph. However, it is still gusting to over 60mph now. One thing I noticed about Jeanne is that she is not constant with her winds. The overall wind is lower but it comes with very strong gusts. Charley brought higher winds, Frances didn't have as high gusts. Jeanne would have to rank in between the two here--neighbor lost her fence here about an hour ago. It had made it through both Charley and Jeanne.

Hurricaned
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Orlando status? [Re: MikeC]
      #32710 - Sun Sep 26 2004 02:51 PM

What is the situation in Orlando? I live near Waterford Lakes. Information would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

clyde w.
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Ouch! [Re: StormKrone]
      #32711 - Sun Sep 26 2004 02:54 PM

Oh, failed to mention that we have a "storm-related" injury at the house as well. My 3-year-old daughter was running to the front door to "se the bad storm" when she tripped and cut her knee pretty badly. We've taped her up, although she might have needed stitches. Not gonna take her out in this mess. She'll be fine--I hope the same goes for the rest of the CFHC family going through this. Thinking of WXRichie, Colleen, and Ed at this point, as well as countless others that were in the path of this storm...

alan
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Apopka, FL
Re: Orlando status? [Re: Hurricaned]
      #32712 - Sun Sep 26 2004 02:58 PM

The television is showing little damage downtown. Just some trees down.
Here northwest of town, the gusts are really strong. Have no idea how fast, but like a poster said, the winds are gusting stronger than the other two but aren't as fast sustained as the worst of Charlie here. But I got the least amount of winds of anyone in the Orlando area with Charley.

The radar loops certainly look more NNW than anything. An hour ago, it looked like the center would pass south of Lakeland and nail Tampa. The center looks to be about due east of the southern part of lakeland, just north east of Bartow.

RevUp
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Change Of Course? [Re: StormKrone]
      #32713 - Sun Sep 26 2004 02:58 PM

Winds picking up again here in NW Tampa (N sustained at 45 G 60 mph) Yes, NHC has picked up on the NW movement (I'm sure much to their relief).
I never meant to suggest that Jeanne was turning north, just more toward the NW. Guess it really doesn't matter because the effects of Jeanne are so large and broad! Watch out for falling large trees.

--------------------
"Let tomorrow worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

CentralFlorida
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Port Richey FL
Re: Change Of Course? [Re: RevUp]
      #32714 - Sun Sep 26 2004 03:01 PM

Winds north of tampa here in port richey is really picking up power flickering. wont be long before in the dark here roof shingles sound like bunnies making love from in the house.

--------------------
Survived Charley, Jeanne, Frances, Ivan and my Wife

clyde w.
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Orlando status? [Re: Hurricaned]
      #32715 - Sun Sep 26 2004 03:02 PM

Hurricaned--I'm still in Eastwood (we PM'd during Frances til the site went down). This was a lot closer to Charley than it was to Frances. It's hard to explain, but the winds have been gustier with Jeanne. I don't think sustained winds have topped 55mph here, but the gusts have been very high (80mph+) and are still gusting very high right now. Orange county is in a mandatory curfew so I haven't ventured out.

In my own range of view, there is minor damage--trees down and the fence across the street blew apart. Media and the county is saying worst damage is along Alafaya Trail, but I don't know specifically where. I do know there has been structural damage to a couple of apartments near here.

Lee's Lakeside in downtown Orlando suffered significant damage. Many of the large windows blew out in the storm.

Will post more when I hear it.

Marknole
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Wacissa, FL
Re: Change Of Course? [Re: StormKrone]
      #32716 - Sun Sep 26 2004 03:05 PM

Hi Wakulla. I agree, you can certainly begin to tell that something's up here in TLH. I do some fill-in work @ the State EOC, and predict that my phone will ring any minute.

For the MET's out there, I know that Apalachee Bay SST's are < 80F, but is everyone confident (with a 150 mi. GOM path) that rapid reintensification won't happen? We're hunkered-down (there's that term again!) for 50/G65 max winds, but time's running out to prepare for a Cat. I or II.

Good luck all, especially current areas on the N. Suncoast and Nature Coast.

Terry Johnson
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Tarpon Springs, FL
Re: Change Of Course? [Re: RevUp]
      #32717 - Sun Sep 26 2004 03:05 PM

Power flickering here in Tarpon. I made it through all the others with power, hope it holds true, but this one is much worse. Will continue while the power lasts!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 65 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 114034

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center