F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

Off-Topic >> Everything and Nothing

Pages: 1
Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Rain
      #33851 - Sun Oct 10 2004 12:17 PM

And, while you're explaining.... try this one. My newspaper is always delivered into my driveway when it is dry but slightly off my driveway (in the grass) when it is wet. I'm guessing they figure the ground soaks up water faster than concete, but when the ground is overly saturated and there are tons of puddles in the grass.... what's the point?

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Rain [Re: Terra]
      #33920 - Wed Oct 13 2004 12:52 AM

Your question poses a serious anwser and a more logical one. Here's the serious one: Suppose they feel that the ground asborbs more water faster, that is techinally ture as the porostiy and cappilarity is much greater, and therefore the runoff is much less. Though...since the driveway is angled and has very little porosity it has greater runoff and therefore during times of high rain the ground reaches it's say carrying capicity while since the driveway doesn't have any carrying capicity it doesn't develop ponding. That's my take on it, gets very complicated and that's what some people do for a living.
Here's the other anwser: They just want to piss you off and throw the paper on the grass, as a result of them staying in their car and throwing the newspaper. I don't know
Hope that helps if that was a real question or just sarcasm accidently moved here by ED.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Rain [Re: Keith234]
      #33949 - Wed Oct 13 2004 11:14 PM

I'll do you one better...

Last winter wasn't too bad, but my sadistic newspaper man (probably because I paid the company directly, so he got no tips ) used to love to wing the paper INTO & UNDERNEATH the freshly fallen snow. One time, literally, I found three papers three weeks later when the snow melted...bastid.

Actually, I think there's some kind of "evildoer" school newspaper delivery persons must attend before they can make their rounds..."Aim for the largest puddle 101", "Try to hit the dog, if he's tied up," and, "always hand deliver the paper on payday" are required courses; options include "Bonus Points for roof delivery", and "Slingshots will break windows".

Also, my particular newspaper deliverer used to ALWAYS put 17-18 of the same "Macy*s" circular (or similar tome) in my Sunday paper. Coupons, however, almost never made it.

Even in the winter, if the paper didn't get buried, he always put it as far away from any shoveled path as possible, requiring a full winter gear get up just to pick up the paper...unlike Don Tony Soprano in his bathrobe & slippers.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Rain [Re: LI Phil]
      #33950 - Wed Oct 13 2004 11:34 PM

I can certainly relate, last year or a year before that my parent(s) were together and in Las Vegas on a trip so me and my brother were home by ourselves. Of course as soon as they left it snowed like 19 inches, the presidents day blizzard. My brother had to go to work and forced me to shovel the driveway, you now how hard that is. When I was finshed about 6 hours later, I found the paper buried in the deepest snow drift you could imagine. Now how in the world did he get that there, on concidence? They live by this saying "money talks and walks" and apparently if one doesn't recieve the money he becomes paralyzed from the legs down. Any newspaper deliver guys out there, don't get offened, I'm only speaking my mind.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Rain [Re: Keith234]
      #33951 - Wed Oct 13 2004 11:37 PM

>>> "money talks and walks"

Whether you intentionally or unintentionally left out one key word in that phrase, you're right

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Rain [Re: LI Phil]
      #33952 - Wed Oct 13 2004 11:41 PM

Are you watching the debate tonight?

Short answer, yes, after the Yankees spank the Sox...long answer, PM me with stuff like this...the forums are not chat rooms. Thx!

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Edited by LI Phil (Wed Oct 13 2004 11:47 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4050

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center