F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: wxman007]
      #50440 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:36 AM

Quote:

If this forecast verifies, get ready for 3 dollar plus gas next week...

After Dennis, there was basically NO gas... at ANY price, in the Niceville/Valparaiso area where I am. If the forecast verifies, I suspect it may be a long time before there is gas again, too.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: ralphfl]
      #50441 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:37 AM

Quote:

are you reading what the NHC is putting out as at landfall? 115 that is not a strong 4 nor a solid 4 or even a 4 that is what is coming out at 11pm

Where is LI Phil when you really need him?

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: ralphfl]
      #50442 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:38 AM

Quote:

thats fine but on there forcast map they have a red dot right at landfall and red dot is a 3...http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200512.html

that's the 8PM advisory (5PM update) and Weather Underground's dot is wrong.
should be Cat 4.

Trekman
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Fort Walton Beach FL
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Hugh]
      #50443 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:38 AM

Tell me about it. I had to fill up at Tyndall during my lunch hour after Dennis.

--------------------
Went though: Erin ('95), Opal ('95), Danny ('97), Georges ('98), Ivan ('04), Dennis ('05)

Emergency Administration and Management program at Northwest Florida State College

HCW
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Mobile,AL
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Frank P]
      #50444 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:39 AM

Quote:

I'm all gassed up, sure wish I had a hybrid... this thing hits coastal LA as a 4 and 3.00 gas might be a bargain.... you'll think 2.50 would be like giving it away.... I sure hope this scenario does not come to fruition....

If gas hits $3 then I think that I may be forced to get a hybrid. Going down in the morning and boarding up beach house in Gulf Shores. I have a bad feeling about this one. Then again female storms don't hit Mobile

--------------------
Over 4,000 members and now on a new server

http://www.hardcoreweather.com

DougBaker
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Steve]
      #50445 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:40 AM

5% cut?
I am just a poor consumer worried about how to fill the tank now. It is scary how dependent we all are on a small area. If it gets hit, we all get hit in the pocketbook.

Anyway. I have always enjoyed looking at the maps, plots, etc knowing they would not be at my house. We have strong winds here in the thin air, but never full of rain and debris.

Of course we can get a blizzard in the winter, thats fun, but not nearly as damaging.

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Trekman]
      #50446 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:41 AM

Gas just started to level off here in florida at 2.58 sure dont need to see 3$ here but if this goes there well better go find a 200 gallon tank

weatherwatcher2
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Parrish florida
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Margie]
      #50447 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:41 AM

im sure hes around but why do you need him?

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Margie]
      #50448 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

are you reading what the NHC is putting out as at landfall? 115 that is not a strong 4 nor a solid 4 or even a 4 that is what is coming out at 11pm

Good question...where are any of the mods?

------

That Weather Underground map is 3 hours old which makes it before the latest early model runs came out. The track doesn't match the model runs anymore, nor does it match what wxman007 said the NHC told him during a phone conference. Further, I don't recall anyone saying that the system would hit Cat 4 shortly after it reached the gulf. GFDL last night was indicating a Cat 2, and that's what it did. It then showed slow strengthening for the next day before reaching strong Cat 3 or Cat 4. Frankly, the GFDL seems to be the closest in intensity and not too bad for track so far...the rest of the models are even worse!

Ralph, I'd suggest you read more about what people are talking about rather than just stick your head in the sand and say "this is what it is." We aren't experts, but we aren't idiots either. If you're going to say something, make sure what you're saying is accurate. NHC 5pm said 115 KT - that is Cat 4. You can't argue it isn't! It's a definition!

--RC

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: HCW]
      #50449 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:43 AM

I'll admit, I was scared enough to go out and get gas. It was $2.47, which compared to what it will be next week is a steal.... I'm still thinking the XTRP model is the best scenario... No idea what's controlling it, but I certainly prefer its track.

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Trekman
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Fort Walton Beach FL
      #50450 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:43 AM

Down here in FWB its 2.55. Dont know how long it will last. At 530 this morning I saw someone filling up gas cans already.

--------------------
Went though: Erin ('95), Opal ('95), Danny ('97), Georges ('98), Ivan ('04), Dennis ('05)

Emergency Administration and Management program at Northwest Florida State College

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
      #50451 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

As said they had the wrong dot on Weather underground so yes they have it as a borderline 4 which i hope they are wrong but i was going by what was posted not what im thinking

So agreed they have it as a min cat 4 storm stand corrected.

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sat Aug 27 2005 02:55 AM)

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Frank P]
      #50452 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:44 AM

Have not been on for a while; trying to keep up. According to our local stations, the storm will be out of our radar soon..if not already. I know that this is effecting a lot of people and I am praying for all of you that are in and OUT of the cone.
It's not funny, but my kids said tonight, "Mommy, I hope all of your friends will be okay. We will pray for them tonight."
I think that says it all.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

weatherwatcher2
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Parrish florida
      #50453 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:44 AM

Quote:

Gas just started to level off here in florida at 2.58 sure dont need to see 3$ here but if this goes there well better go find a 200 gallon tank

thats for sure! I didnt realize how badly these monsters can affect the whole country!

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Random Chaos]
      #50454 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:45 AM

well thanks to rc i dont think we need li phil now lol
and lmao at the xtrap
wish it were true

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
      #50455 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:46 AM

Still have 30 gallons of gas that was left over from Charley last year. Had 50. Been using fuel stabilizer. So it should be good another couple of months. Been using for the lawnmower this summer. May dump a can into the car if there is a huge temporary spike. Just want to have a reserve in case another storm cuts power for a week here so I can run the generator.

I still find the difference of opinion between HPC and NHC interesting. Is that big of a difference common?

--------------------
Jim

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Terra]
      #50456 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:47 AM

Quote:

I'll admit, I was scared enough to go out and get gas. It was $2.47, which compared to what it will be next week is a steal.... I'm still thinking the XTRP model is the best scenario... No idea what's controlling it, but I certainly prefer its track.

I think you know this already, but in case someone else doesn't, XTRP is simple extrapolation of the current motion and speed...it's NOT a model.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
Kat 4 *DELETED* [Re: ralphfl]
      #50457 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:47 AM

Post deleted by lunkerhunter

HCW
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Mobile,AL
Re: Kat 4 [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #50458 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:48 AM

11 PM EDT position...24.6 N... 83.6 W. Movement
toward...west-southwest near 8 mph. Maximum sustained winds...105
mph. Minimum central pressure... 965 mb.

--------------------
Over 4,000 members and now on a new server

http://www.hardcoreweather.com

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Random Chaos]
      #50459 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Good question...where are any of the mods?

------

That Weather Underground map is 3 hours old which makes it before the latest early model runs came out. The track doesn't match the model runs anymore, nor does it match what wxman007 said the NHC told him during a phone conference. Further, I don't recall anyone saying that the system would hit Cat 4 shortly after it reached the gulf. GFDL last night was indicating a Cat 2, and that's what it did. It then showed slow strengthening for the next day before reaching strong Cat 3 or Cat 4. Frankly, the GFDL seems to be the closest in intensity and not too bad for track so far...the rest of the models are even worse!

Ralph, I'd suggest you read more about what people are talking about rather than just stick your head in the sand and say "this is what it is." We aren't experts, but we aren't idiots either. If you're going to say something, make sure what you're saying is accurate. NHC 5pm said 115 KT - that is Cat 4. You can't argue it isn't! It's a definition!

--RC

And you think telling me i got my head in the sand is not against the board rules? all i said is what i seen on Weather underground and i stand corrected not arguing the point but at least when i correct people i dont degrade them and tell them to get there head out of the sand.

Enough already...drop this now or I start dropping folks...I don't want to use my mod powers!

Edited by wxman007 (Sat Aug 27 2005 02:51 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 232 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 266048

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center