F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: The Force 2005]
      #52483 - Tue Aug 30 2005 04:23 PM

Quote:

As the point I was trying to make on my previous posts. Still, have not heard or seen any reports coming in from around the world for assistance. This will go down history as perhaps the worst disaster for the U.S. barring any futrue storms.

Sadly I'm not suprised. Perhaps when people see the effect that this storm will have on the national economy they will truly realize what a devastating storm this was. I think the Feds have a good idea on the extent of the storm damage, but for some reason the national television stations are not reporting. I know I sound like a broken record, but the national stations still seem to be oblivious or unwilling to publicize the catastrophic nature of the storm. This is one case where I am very thankful for the internet.I have turned to the local television stations. They said that the city is flooded with feet of water over almost the entire city and unfortunately fires are raging across areas of the city as firefighters either cannot reach them or are not able to put them out as they are too busy in other areas. Highway 90 from MS is completely and utterly destroyed. Medical care in the city is pretty much unavailable. Also there is apparently 3 feet of water in the Superdome. According to the local tv: the lake continues to flow into the city through the two breaches and water will consider to spread across the city, literally filling bowl as the water is going to spread out across the city until the areas have more uniform flooding. They also say that due to the tremendous stress on the levees, further levee breaks are possible. Officials are urging those still in New Orleans to leave. The only way out is through the "Crescent City Connection." (There is no way into the city). There is also concern (eventually) about some limited flooding from the Mississippi as it rises from rainwater to the north. Those in the Superdome will be there for "a long time." They hope that the refugees in the Superdome will remain calm (Again, this is not according to me, this is according to the local news). At least two people inside the Superdome have died. "This is bad as it gets people."

Crews are hoping to plug the levees by dropping 3000lb sandbags from helicopters.

Edited by Big Red Machine (Tue Aug 30 2005 04:27 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
      #52484 - Tue Aug 30 2005 04:24 PM

Folks, these are difficult times. Lets remain polite and calm and not supress opinions.

A great many people are hurting right now and open discussion about the aftermath of tropical weather is ok given the extreme circumstances.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: NewWatcher]
      #52485 - Tue Aug 30 2005 04:25 PM

Well, I certainly would agree with that, but this possible fish spinner with a no-name as well, is probally a week to ten days away if that, there is no discussion at this point to get everyone in a frenzy of another potential storm that does not exsist at the moment.

rhendryx
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: Steve H1]
      #52486 - Tue Aug 30 2005 04:27 PM

I am not going to try to do the job of the mods, but the title of the current thread is "Katrina Aftermath". I think there are many people on this thread who want to keep the primary focus on the aftermath. I am sure the administrators will start a new thread for new Atlantic activity at some point. I am sure no poster meant offense to anyone else and neither do i.

Just heard an interview on TV of the person in charge of the Salvation Army relief efforts. Mobile kitchens from the Salvation Army are in Alabama and will soon be assisting with meals.

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: rhendryx]
      #52487 - Tue Aug 30 2005 04:30 PM

New Orleans is under marshall law, and it seems they are trying to get everyone out (and of course, not let anyone back in). I don't understand how this is logistically possible, since it was not possible to evacuate everyone before the storm when transportation was possible.

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
      #52488 - Tue Aug 30 2005 04:31 PM

Well i ask you this question.The Oil prices are supose to go up over 3$ here in Florida soon because of this storm.....NOW what i ask you is this.Yes there is gonna be a time like last year to get the rigs going again BUT tell me this.How many Cars? How many Trucks? how many Suv's? how many things that use gas in these states.....LA.........MS...........ALA.......And any other state this cane hit are not able to move? 200,000? more less? then times that by how many gallons on Gas they use a day and are we not saving that? you got to think those 3 states are using a million less gallons of gas each day since the storm hit NO? am i way off or what?

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: Terra]
      #52489 - Tue Aug 30 2005 04:32 PM

Unless they have a boat or a helicopter, I am thinking they cant get
back in anyway.... maybe I am wrong. It is terrible, If it were me I would want to see my house, even if it was under water. Hard to stay away I would expect.

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: ralphfl]
      #52490 - Tue Aug 30 2005 04:33 PM

Quote:

Well i ask you this question.The Oil prices are supose to go up over 3$ here in Florida soon because of this storm.....NOW what i ask you is this.Yes there is gonna be a time like last year to get the rigs going again BUT tell me this.How many Cars? How many Trucks? how many Suv's? how many things that use gas in these states.....LA.........MS...........ALA.......And any other state this cane hit are not able to move? 200,000? more less? then times that by how many gallons on Gas they use a day and are we not saving that? you got to think those 3 states are using a million less gallons of gas each day since the storm hit NO? am i way off or what?

You are way off Ralph. A lot of gas and oil will be used to aid in the recovery efforts. The evacuees still have to drive BACK also.

HurricaneSteph
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
      #52491 - Tue Aug 30 2005 04:34 PM

The Red Cross, FEMA and various other organizations will be doing their parts to help the victims of this storm. However, please don't forget there are thousands of animals too that are now homeless. Your local SPCA/Humane Society can tell you what is best to donate, i.e. dog and cat food, etc. Not sure if someone has already mentioned giving any kind of aid to our animal friends in this thread, it's grown too large for me to read each previous post!
Stay safe, folks...as always!

--------------------
HurricaneSteph
Orlando

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #52492 - Tue Aug 30 2005 04:34 PM

CNN has listed ways in which individuals can help:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/30/help.agencies/index.html

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #52493 - Tue Aug 30 2005 04:34 PM

I don't believe that gas prices will sky rocket cause I do believe that the Pres will allow reserves to be tapped into. you also can tell by the price of oil that is maintaining it's price almost from a week ago. Now I do believe that there could be a case to say that this has the potential for price gouging the residents to get gas for their cars. I think that th eFEDS should keep a watchful eye over how the prices are going up.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: Margie]
      #52494 - Tue Aug 30 2005 04:37 PM

Margie,

Any word from your brother yet. May god be with you and him.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
      #52495 - Tue Aug 30 2005 04:39 PM

No word.

BobVee thanks for your PM. You need to change your settings if you want to receive PMs from other users.

Those D'Iberville deputies that were rescued were in Harrison County, not Jackson County, but thanks for that info.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #52496 - Tue Aug 30 2005 04:49 PM

Margie,

What does your line mean?

The first thing I learned from looking at satellite loops was that the air was dancing.

bobbutts
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #52497 - Tue Aug 30 2005 04:56 PM

Basically agree with Big Red as far as the seriousness of the damage is.. I hope I didn't offend anyone with my earlier post saying this isn't "The Big One". The only "good" news is that it appears that there won't be an unimaginable death toll and to a lesser extent complete destruction of NO we had been fearing. Compared to history this seems to be shaping up to be the biggest one so far and that's certainly bad enough no matter what you label it.

That said the questions now.. removing the dead, finding a place to live for the newly homeless, trying to keep people healthy in cleanup and refugee area.. these are beyond anything we've dealt with before.

Really good point re: the temp housing
no idea what the answer is.

Having lived through Charley and seeing the massive relief effort here it's just hard to fathom the effort that will need to take place in such a larger (very rough guess of serious damage in 20x as large area) and more heavily populated area. Don't know what the logistics are for cleaning up flooding vs. wind damage, but I'd have to assume flooding is hell to clean.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: bobbutts]
      #52498 - Tue Aug 30 2005 04:58 PM

This is why the Red Cross has mobilized over 200,000 volunteers to the affected areas. The most in the history of the U.S. If that says anything of the enormity, nothing does.

Edited by The Force 2005 (Tue Aug 30 2005 05:00 PM)

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #52500 - Tue Aug 30 2005 05:05 PM

I know no one has posted this, so I will comment on this.

The crew of the Hurricane Hunters:

They deserve an extrodinarily amount of credit for their job while under immense pressure, cause you have to remind yourselfs, that they had familys in Biloxi, Gulfport, and the Gulf Coast. Try imagine flying into Katrina, knowing your family was below, an awful task even to think about.

OcalaKT
Weather Watcher

Reged:
      #52501 - Tue Aug 30 2005 05:05 PM

I think we have seen devastation like this with the tsunami. Perhaps not in death toll, but in the sense that complete communities and infrastructure have been closed to wiped out. Countless homeless people, who need to be feed, housed. How long will it take not only to rebuild, but to get the economy and workplaces up and running again. I can't imagine the undertaking that is going to be involed in rebuilding these areas. And while this may be controversial, should so much be rebuilt in a place that is cearly so vulnerable to this kind of destruction?

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: OcalaKT]
      #52502 - Tue Aug 30 2005 05:08 PM

Well, along those same lines, why do people re-build their homes right on the beach/coast again, after a hurricane/storm just wiped it clean.

Go figure!!

Hootowl
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: New Port Richey, Fl
      #52503 - Tue Aug 30 2005 05:09 PM

Margie,

They have town by town info. I am sure they will also have survivor info. You might want to save this link.

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/news/special_packages/hurricane_katrina/12513444.htm

You and your family are still in my prayers.

Dotty

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 175 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 63607

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center