F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Disaster Master]
      #52684 - Wed Aug 31 2005 01:29 AM

R.P. -- quick question, any idea what it looks like in the Kenner area north of I-10? I imagine it's not pretty, but wanted to get some more concrete info.

We're going to organize a relief effort here in Tallahassee for the storm. More as it becomes available...

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: San Antonio G0! Spurs Go!
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: twizted sizter]
      #52685 - Wed Aug 31 2005 01:30 AM

Once Marshall Law is imposed. The word will get out quick. A few shot up bodies on FNC and it will slow or stop.

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Clark]
      #52686 - Wed Aug 31 2005 01:31 AM

6 - 8 foot of water in Kenner north of I-10. in the Williams Blvd area. I know for a fact. my hotel reservations where there, thats why im waiting till friday to leave.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: emackl]
      #52687 - Wed Aug 31 2005 01:33 AM

>>> Any news from Rick, Frank, Margie's brother or the other members?

no...not yet...although i was outside a few minutes ago taking a smoke break and some one had called me, leaving no message, but i think it was margie (area code told me so)...so MARGIE, (i'll also pm you), if you're reading this, call me...i'll make sure i smoke INSIDE now...

*hacking up lung cookies thru tears*

btw...still have no info on steve and many others from NO or the NO area...

of course, anything i hear i'll post

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
      #52688 - Wed Aug 31 2005 01:34 AM

FYI 17th st canal repair has failed. extecting another 15 ft of water in that area. Like throwing rocks at a machine gun turent. They are talking about filling shipping containers with concrete and barging them in

bobbutts
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: MikeC]
      #52689 - Wed Aug 31 2005 01:34 AM

Sounds like the officials have conceeded the city will flood to +3 above sea level. My thoughts are with those trying to survive this horrible night.

Does anyone know specifically what this flooding means for the Superdome? Will there be a way in and out?

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: bobbutts]
      #52690 - Wed Aug 31 2005 01:36 AM

Super dome is 3 levels.(ask the jumper) They will move them to upper levels.

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
      #52691 - Wed Aug 31 2005 01:37 AM

Thanks for the information. I imagined it was pretty bad there, but as always with only some visuals and second-hand reports, it's tough to get anything definite. I have a friend who lives just a few blocks from Williams Blvd. -- they had heard conflicting reports as to water or no and if so, how much. That puts it into perspective...thanks.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Clark]
      #52692 - Wed Aug 31 2005 01:39 AM

No Problem. It takes me a minute to thumb through the 40 or so pages of info i have. I will resond as fast as i can. im fax is ringing again as i am typing this reply.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: LI Phil]
      #52693 - Wed Aug 31 2005 01:42 AM

I was just going to ask you that, Phil. I am so worried about all of them up there. Just heard on Larry King that the "plug" they tried to use in N.O. has failed and the mayor is telling people to head to higher ground within the next 2 hours. They're looking at 15 ft. flood waters there. They showed a picture of the inside of the Superdome, there are holes in the roof; although I have no idea how far above sea level the Superdome is, I have to believe that flood waters will be able to get in there and add to the already horrible plight of those there.
May God bless all of those suffering. I never thought I'd see something like this happen in my lifetime. It's almost imcomprehensible.
And I'm not afraid to tell you that I've been shedding many tears for my fellow Americans.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

wiley
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
      #52694 - Wed Aug 31 2005 01:42 AM

Re: the looters in NO. How are they planning to get any of the stuff they steal out with them? I'm assuming they're as trapped as anyone else...This may be one of the most tragically absurd things I've ever heard.

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: wiley]
      #52696 - Wed Aug 31 2005 01:48 AM

Steve from Metairie apparently made it out alive. Here is a post on S2K about his situation.

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=72461

rule
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ocala, Florida
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Ryan]
      #52697 - Wed Aug 31 2005 01:49 AM

Ryan,

It depends on how your house was constructed and with what materials. It can range from tearing it down to just letting it dry out. Sorry I'm not more definitive, but it makes a big difference.

If you don't know it's construction, just tell me when it was built. I can guess it's construction method from that.

I understand you're looking for good news. If you can tell me more about it's construction, I can be more definitive. However, if you have insurance, it's going to depend on more on how they define the situation, not how actually fixing the problem.

Basically, either way it sucks...

My childhood house (when I was 6) went through Camille. While it survived (only ½ mile North from where Jim Cantore rode out the storm surge) I fear it's way damaged or not there now. There are railroad tracks between there and the house.. maybe every foot of elevation counted.

I think we've finally found the storm that topped Camille. Not that we were looking for it...

rule

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Londovir]
      #52701 - Wed Aug 31 2005 01:52 AM

Londivar --- I saw that interview, too. Even the reporter was crying. "Take care of the kids..." and she let go of his hand as the house split in two. I believe that there will be many, many more stories like that before this is all said and done.
My Mom was watching some show tonight when I was talking to her and she said that a Walmart in N.O. just told people: "Take whatever you want." What else are they supposed to do? These people are so used to having nothing that they WILL take anything. The strange part about it is they have no where to TAKE IT TO.
Now, when people start shooting and beating up those that are trying to protect them? I say SHOOT. The hell with them. I can't see the Superdome situation getting any better either.
Gotta run for a while, will check back in in about an hour. I have a very sick little boy, which is why I have not been able to get on as much as I wanted to.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Colleen A.]
      #52703 - Wed Aug 31 2005 01:53 AM

This is historical, catastriphic, and makes me speechless! I actually had to stop watching some of the footage today because I was feeling sick. I do plan to donate to this relief effort. Couple of thoughts going through my mind tonight...considering New Orleans' past over the last 200 years or so...is this the city's worst disaster ever? I think so. Rebuilding this city will be an enormous task...nothing that I can remember in history on this scale. Almost every structure in the city proper has damage or will be gutted by flooding. Another important and long term issue will be the impact this storm had on the Missippippi River Delta southeast of the city. Is it still there? Does anyone have links to current sat picks? If that is destroyed...will they need to build a seawall to protect N.O. for the next 100 years?

my thoughts today....I agree Colleen, we always knew this could happen, but seeing live on TV and hearing about it is stunning. Sad day for our country.

Edited by Justin in Miami (Wed Aug 31 2005 01:55 AM)

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: rule]
      #52704 - Wed Aug 31 2005 01:56 AM

As far as the flood insurance goes it depends on the Firm Date and the elevation. anything in N.O. built after 1985, coverage starts at the lowest structural member on the elevated building. Which is the floor joist. If your house is on concrete slab most odf the time it is covered completely( most are pre-1985). Biggest concern will be mold. Most of these structures you are seing on TV IE: CNN, FNC are single family pre firm on slab. There will be full coverage. Anything sitting in water for the 3 -4 weeks they are predictiong will be classified as a total loss. Problem is im afraid that most of these folk only carry enough flood insurance to cover there mortgage. Very common problem. Any more questions, post em and i will answer. i have all of the policies. resedential and RCBAP here in front of me.

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #52706 - Wed Aug 31 2005 01:59 AM

Most of the area south and east of N.O. is now part of the Mississippi. They got hte same surge that Bilouxi got 25-34ft. I spoke with a buddy i worked a flodd claim for in 2003 in Slidell. He said his house on 8 ft pilings is gone with the rest of town and still under water. 15 - 18 ft deep.

Pardon my Grammar. Ive had a few and im trying to type as fast as possible with 2 fingers.

Edited by Disaster Master (Wed Aug 31 2005 02:01 AM)

bobbutts
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: New Hampshire
      #52707 - Wed Aug 31 2005 02:03 AM

High res sat pic from today
http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/gallery/

Heather
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Sebring, FL
      #52708 - Wed Aug 31 2005 02:07 AM

While waiting for the storm to make landfall, we all heard a lot about the worst case scenario. The destruction in New Orleans, etc. sounded like it would be something out of a sci-fi movie. First reports were more positive, but with conditions continuing to decline, our we looking at the worst case scenario?

Also, thoughts and prayers to all of our members here who are in harms way.

--------------------
When it rains, it pours...

WhitherWeather
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
      #52709 - Wed Aug 31 2005 02:07 AM

When all of New Orleans is under water level with Lake Pontchartrain, how, and to where, are they ever going to get it out, particularly given the status of the lands to the south and east already?

How much is it going to cost to get the water out?

And after it's been under that much water for that long, what will be worth the expense? To have a place to build where it can all happen again?

These may be rhetorical, even Zen questions. But now that what the Mayor has called "the point of no return" has been crossed to be unable to keep the bowl from filling, what's going to be there is a filled bowl. Is anybody really confronting the cost and time to get the water back out--and what, really will remain?

It sort of seems that all comparisons being made are to things not even remotely comparable.

WhitherWeather

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 151 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 51399

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center