F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
ShanaTX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Texas
Re: Tropical Storm Ophelia Forms off Florida East Coast [Re: HCW]
      #54178 - Thu Sep 08 2005 10:17 AM

Quote:

Is that blob in the BOC anything that I should keep a close eye on ?

Yikes... another nightowl blob watcher!

Someone else is watching it now too..

Quote:

ABNT20 KNHC 080928
TWOAT
TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
530 AM EDT THU SEP 8 2005

WIDESPREAD CLOUDINESS AND SHOWERS OVER THE WESTERN GULF OF MEXICO ARE ASSOCIATED WITH AN UPPER-LEVEL LOW AND A WEAK SURFACE LOW PRESSURE AREA. THIS ACTIVITY HAS BECOME A LITTLE BETTER ORGANIZED OVER THE BAY OF CAMPECHE THIS MORNING...AND UPPER-LEVEL WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO BECOME A LITTLE MORE FAVORABLE FOR SOME SLOW DEVELOPMENT TO OCCUR OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS.

Guess we'll pull out the ol Bear Watch...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Tropical Storm Ophelia Uncertainty [Re: LadyStorm]
      #54179 - Thu Sep 08 2005 10:32 AM

Quote:

Now this is different??? I am confused. The NHC has Ophelia meandering just off of the coast of North Florida for the next several days. I was surfing the net and checking out the Accuweather site. They offer a completely different path.

Accuweather has not had a good track record recently. Only one (as far as I can tell) of the models suggest the possibility of going directly west into the gulf. I feel there is no support for their solution. Ophilia is in a col, kind of a dip between several high pressure areas with no real desire to move. Any movement will likely be sllightly north, maybe east, maybe a loop, but not likely directly west per Accuweather. Whatever happens will likely NOT be very fast.

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indiatlantic Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Ophelia Forms off Florida East Coast [Re: emackl]
      #54180 - Thu Sep 08 2005 10:35 AM

Yea, your right. What if the storm wobbles to the west south west and gets a little more organized this morning and gets closer to our coast. My daughter takes a bus from Indiatlantic to Cocoa Beach Junior Senior High School every day. She said don`t worry about storm, its nothing like what we went through last year yet. That right there shows me that these coastal kids might not show it , but they sure keep an eye on whats shakin out in the Atlantic.........Weatherchef

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Ophelia Forms off Florida East Coast [Re: B.C.Francis]
      #54181 - Thu Sep 08 2005 10:45 AM

Well so far it appears our Ophelia is doing the same thing as she did in Hamlet. Standing around ringing her hands and weeping but not making decisions to do anything else. (in this case could be good)
Having said that, does anyone know of any warm water eddies she might get into that could make her angry? Is the Gulf stream cooler now that Kat has stirred things up in the Gulf?

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

abyrd
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: apopka
Re: Tropical Storm Ophelia Uncertainty [Re: Ricreig]
      #54182 - Thu Sep 08 2005 10:52 AM

I'm not discounting the Accuweather idea.

Looking at the water vapor loop, there is a ridge that is from the Atlantic Ocean to Texas. It starts curving NE just north and east of where Ophelia is located.

The NHC and the models called for a drift in a north direction (NNW, NW, NE, NNE have been mentioned at one time or another) However, the storm has not drifted north at all. In fact, it is SW of it's position (barely) of 24 hrs ago.

Unless it starts drifting or moving north, at least 75-100 miles north, it will miss the push to the NE and then will be pushed into FLorida. And this morning, it looks to be drifting in a southerly direction.

I'm not an expert, but just my thoughts. I would agree with Accuweather on this one.

JustMe
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Ophelia Uncertainty [Re: abyrd]
      #54183 - Thu Sep 08 2005 11:18 AM

It does seem to be closer to the east coast from what I am hearing. Will keep an eye on this one for sure.
I feel for the folks that have come to Florida to escape the gulf coast area. I would think any type of storm would be hard to deal with at this time. Just the name HURRICANE would do it for me if I were one of them.
I am going to watch this one and not agree with anyone at this time as to where it is going. I think we all know they have minds of their own and will do their own thing in their own way.

--------------------

I have survived Betsy Miss, Camille Miss., Andrew Fl, Charley Fl, Frances FL, Jeanne FL,

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Ophelia Uncertainty [Re: JustMe]
      #54184 - Thu Sep 08 2005 11:24 AM

I noticed that the NRL plot on this O storm looks llike a ball of yarn that my kitten just got through playing with. It takes good vision to follow the lines!! It is overcast here and windy. This is the middle of the central most part of the Flordia peninsula. Ophelia is going to go down as the big O for sure.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Beach
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Cocoa Beach/Banana River
Re: Tropical Storm Ophelia Uncertainty [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #54185 - Thu Sep 08 2005 11:46 AM

I noticed that when I woke up this morning that the storm was "70 MILES EAST-NORTHEAST OF CAPE CANAVERAL FLORIDA."
Overall movement in 12 hours:
.4N .6 W
She's drunken I tell you!
<figure of speach>

Edited by LI Phil (Thu Sep 08 2005 12:27 PM)

emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indianapolis
Re: Tropical Storm Ophelia Uncertainty [Re: Beach]
      #54186 - Thu Sep 08 2005 11:51 AM

I know, it's nuts. Funny thing is when I got up and checked this a.m. she actually looks closer to me then when I went to bed. Go figure. Crazy storm. Warnings have been lifted and the weather is far worse now then when we had them...lol!

Beach
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm Ophelia Uncertainty [Re: emackl]
      #54187 - Thu Sep 08 2005 11:59 AM

8:00am numbers are in:
AT 8 AM EDT...1200Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM OPHELIA WAS
LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 28.7 NORTH... LONGITUDE 79.6 WEST OR ABOUT
70 MILES EAST-NORTHEAST OF CAPE CANAVERAL FLORIDA.

Put another dink in the W column

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
      #54188 - Thu Sep 08 2005 12:01 PM

Ophelia looks a little ill on satellite pictures this morning, though the radar appearance is somewhat more symmetrical. It appears the shear may have lessened somewhat, but there is some very dry air just to the north of the system.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
      #54189 - Thu Sep 08 2005 12:02 PM

Quote:

I know, it's nuts. Funny thing is when I got up and checked this a.m. she actually looks closer to me then when I went to bed. Go figure. Crazy storm. Warnings have been lifted and the weather is far worse now then when we had them...lol!

Looking at the water vapor and IR loops, it looks like the storm has weakened substantially in the last several hours, with the "secondary ball" actually looking better than the primary one. Yet the winds have increased to 60 and the pressure stablized a < 990 (989 currently although it got down to 985 overnight). Dry air intruding? Looks like a lot of dry air north of the storm on the water vapor loop. Maybe it'll fizzle out after all.

ETA: yeah, Thunder... the radar actually looks MUCH BETTER but the satellite WORSE.... what is it with this storm???

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Edited by Hugh (Thu Sep 08 2005 12:03 PM)

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Tropical Storm Ophelia Uncertainty [Re: abyrd]
      #54190 - Thu Sep 08 2005 12:08 PM

With tropical weather, no one in their right mind will totally discount any possibility and given the proximity of the storm to the east coast, it is prudent to make plans for the worst case scenerio. However, one also needs to plan for what is most likely. The closeness of the storm to the coast amplifies all of the effects of even small wobbles so it is likely that East Central Florida *will* see significant effects from Ophilia. I just don't feel the Accuweather solution is very llikely, not impossible, just unlikely. More likely is continued wobbles alternately bringing the center close to shore and then away from shore and covering N and S movement as well. Overall, the track will probably tend N over the next day or so, with wobbles back to the SW, SE, NE adnausium. For the sake of those in the gulf area, I hope this is the solution, not the one proposed by Accuweather..

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

craigm
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Palm City, Florida
      #54195 - Thu Sep 08 2005 12:18 PM

This is for anyone. I wonder how much upwelling can occur with a developing storm like this, I guess the Gulf Stream will just keep pumping warm water under it.

--------------------
Why I'm here:
Weather hobbyist

Beach
Weather Guru

Reged:
Is the "EYE" Forming? [Re: Ricreig]
      #54196 - Thu Sep 08 2005 12:29 PM

First look at the radar Presentation:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19r0/si.kmlb.shtml

Sure looks like she is filling in the blanks.
Then look at the last couple of frames of the visible loop:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-vis-loop.html

What do you think

emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indianapolis
      #54198 - Thu Sep 08 2005 12:33 PM

Looks like Accuweather changed it's tune. Now it's going north.

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #54199 - Thu Sep 08 2005 12:56 PM

I am concerned about the area over the Bay of Campeche. Any chance this could organize and if so were would it go?
Also, is it my imagination, or is Ophelia looking ragged?

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Tropical Storm Ophelia Uncertainty [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #54200 - Thu Sep 08 2005 01:01 PM

Ophelia is more ragged right now, you can tell by looking at water vapor or IR satellite loops that it flared up overnight and died down this morning, but seems to be rebuilding again now. In the meantime the center has gotten more ragged and some dry air in the east and west sections of the center have affected it. I'm hoping this will hold off strengthening today. It's still too close to comfort for me, and at this point wobbles can mean a lot.

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm Ophelia Uncertainty [Re: MikeC]
      #54201 - Thu Sep 08 2005 01:06 PM

What about the area in the Bay of Campeche? What are the chances that could form into something tropical?

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Tropical Storm Ophelia Uncertainty [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #54202 - Thu Sep 08 2005 01:12 PM

Quote:

What about the area in the Bay of Campeche? What are the chances that could form into something tropical?

I haven't had the chance to look at that, someone else might know more. A quick glance seems like it would take a few days for anything to happen there. I'm not a met so please don't take my word for things.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 89 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 50623

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center