F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
FlaMommy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Tampa(Riverview), Florida
Re: Category 2 [Re: Psyber]
      #55456 - Tue Sep 20 2005 06:01 PM

well yea i understand that...but was wondering if we could expect any stronger condtitions than what we just had....i know its not comign this way...but was curious of stronger conditions...thank you

--------------------
"Haven't thought of a witty one lately"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
GFDL [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #55457 - Tue Sep 20 2005 06:03 PM

The 12Z GFDL brings the pressure down to around 938 mb in 36 hours, followed by slow weakening to a storm around 952 mb at landfall near Freeport, TX in about 90 hours. That is about 6-8 mb lower along the path than in the last run, so it is depicting a stronger system developing. It has been fairly consistent about bringing a 950-960 mb storm into Texas, which would typically correspond to a cat 3 intensity system.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Category 2 [Re: Random Chaos]
      #55459 - Tue Sep 20 2005 06:04 PM

Last night before I went to bed I predicted 979mb and 95mph for the 5am, but I was off by almost 8 hours! Now at 978 and 100mph.

OK right now a favorable environment for continued intensification, for maybe six more hours.

Can anyone talk about wind shear predictions over the next 6-12 hours?
Am I seeing things or is the shear eroding the transverse banding to the west? Will the higher area of shear N of the Yucatan Pen. stay put? if so then after about six to eight more hours I don't see a favorable environment w.r.t. either shear or water temp.

So even if she gets up to a solid Cat 3 after leaving the Keys this aft, I don't see that as a problem for the US (for Cuba's northern shore, and for shipping interests). Back down to a Cat 2 by 24 hours from now.

Keys are going to get hammered in the meantime tho!

EDIT -- but obviously I haven't a clue...the 2pm NHC discussion keeps her a Cat 3 for three days!

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Edited by Margie (Tue Sep 20 2005 06:09 PM)

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
Re: Category 2 [Re: Margie]
      #55460 - Tue Sep 20 2005 06:09 PM

these came out 3 hours ago....I think.

Wind Shear
Wind Shear Tendency

To me it looks like increasing shear in the Eastern gulf, moderate shear in the Central Gulf and no shear in the Western Gulf.

Factoring in the shear, I don't think the SST's & Energy are there to create a Cat 4/5.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Philadelphia
      #55461 - Tue Sep 20 2005 06:10 PM

Margie,

I don't agree with that assessment of shear. Yes it is there however sligh, but will back off when Rita solidily gets into the GOM. There is nothing keeping Rita from strengthening to a poss CAT4/5 in 48-72 hrs. Do I think she will weaken prior to landfall wherever that maybe, well it all depends where of course, because of the layout of the coast is not the same in all locations.

Lsr1166
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Florida
Re: Category 2 [Re: FlaMommy]
      #55462 - Tue Sep 20 2005 06:13 PM

What are the chances of Rita following a path similar to the one Kate did in 1985? They both formed in about the same location, on 11/20 Kate was located at 23.9 & 83.5 (which is almost 2 degrees west of where Rita is now) and on 11/22 Kate was at 30.2 & 85.1 (just west of Tallahassee, Florida). I looked in the NHC archives and it said although Kate was a late November storm, the weather conditions and sea surface temperatures were more like what you would find in late September.

Elaine H
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Category 2 [Re: FlaMommy]
      #55463 - Tue Sep 20 2005 06:15 PM

FLMommy - We are only going to get 25 - 32 gusts and some rain through the day and that is it. (Valrico)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Category 2 [Re: Lsr1166]
      #55464 - Tue Sep 20 2005 06:15 PM

Quote:

What are the chances of Rita following a path similar to the one Kate did in 1985? They both formed in about the same location, on 11/20 Kate was located at 23.9 & 83.5 (which is almost 2 degrees west of where Rita is now) and on 11/22 Kate was at 30.2 & 85.1 (just west of Tallahassee, Florida). I looked in the NHC archives and it said although Kate was a late November storm, the weather conditions and sea surface temperatures were more like what you would find in late September.

Fairly low, the momentum toward the west right now is a bit too much to see a Kate like forecast. And the situation is different in the air patterns, i'd bet further west or south over north and that far east if anything.

See Kate/Rita plotted:

http://flhurricane.com/googlemap.php?2005s18-1985s11

FlaMommy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Tampa(Riverview), Florida
Re: Category 2 [Re: Elaine H]
      #55466 - Tue Sep 20 2005 06:17 PM

thank you very much elaine i appreciate it...was just wondering..i have a 2 yr old who is afraid of storms...so didnt hurt to ask

--------------------
"Haven't thought of a witty one lately"

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Category 2 [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #55467 - Tue Sep 20 2005 06:17 PM

That's what I'm looking at, but I don't see long-term forecast values, only +3hr. Thanks much.

To force 2005 -- there is no way that the water temps in the GOM would support strengthening to Cat 4/5 level. Maybe some little strengthening around western tip of Cuba if no wind sheer there, but in the western GOM how do you see that happening? However I see increasing wind shear as well.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Edited by Margie (Tue Sep 20 2005 06:23 PM)

Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Reged:
      #55470 - Tue Sep 20 2005 06:28 PM

Boca has been more gloomy than anything else. We had a band at 4AM, but that's really been about it. Some rain this AM & a little wind. Right now there's maybe a 10 -15 mph breeze.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #55471 - Tue Sep 20 2005 06:31 PM

Margie,

SST's may not be what they were post Katrina, however, they are very warm for a body of water that is relative motionless without a storm over top of it. Temps still running around 30C.

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
12Z SHIPS output [Re: Lee-Delray]
      #55472 - Tue Sep 20 2005 06:37 PM

The 12Z SHIPS intensity model goes berserk with Rita, bringing it up to 125 knots (145 mph, strong cat 4) in 48 hours, before slowly weakening it prior to landfall (forecast landfall is between 72 and 96 hours):

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=WBCCHGHUR (click on the "Previous Version" link on that page if you don't see the output for Rita right away)

That is quite a change from the previous SHIPS runs which kept the max intensity around 100 knots. I imagine the much higher initial intensity for the latest run played a role in the intensity jump.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Category 2 [Re: The Force 2005]
      #55473 - Tue Sep 20 2005 06:40 PM

Quote:

Margie,

SST's may not be what they were post Katrina, however, they are very warm for a body of water that is relative motionless without a storm over top of it. Temps still running around 30C.

Surface temps, SSTs, yes, but not deep water.

--------------------

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
tornado warnings [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #55474 - Tue Sep 20 2005 06:41 PM

There is currently a tornado warning for eastern Broward county, and also for the Upper Keys in Monroe county. Take appropriate shelter if you are in those areas.

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
      #55475 - Tue Sep 20 2005 06:51 PM

Not deep water, but not shallow either. In fact, the track Rita is forcast to take is over the warmest deep water in the gulf:

http://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/hhc/watl/z26.watl.20050920.gif

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc:
Re: 12Z SHIPS output [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #55476 - Tue Sep 20 2005 06:52 PM

Your post raises a question I have about the dynamics of a tropical storm. I lived through Isabel, which hit my area as a bare Cat 1, yet did enormous damage. Since Isabel was once a much stronger storm, I wonder if she was therefore more powerful than a similar storm that was never stronger. Therefore, will Rita have more punch as a 105 kt storm if it was formerly 125 rather than one never having been stronger than 105?

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

Edited by Ed in Va (Tue Sep 20 2005 06:53 PM)

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Category 2 [Re: The Force 2005]
      #55477 - Tue Sep 20 2005 06:55 PM

From Accuweather:

Hurricane Rita will take dead aim at the Texas Coast later this week making landfall late Friday or early Saturday. At ground zero, highest winds will exceed 100 mph, the storm surge will inundate the coastline and rainfall will be excessive. This will produce widespread damage to structures, power will be out and oil platforms will have to be evacuated. All residents living along the coast from Corpus Cristi to Lake Charles need to have a plan if an evacuation order is given later this week. Let me restate that. An evacuation order will be given later this week. Its just a matter of where the worst impact of the hurricane is going to be. This graphic shows where we think the full fury of Rita will be realized. Wouldn't it be ironic if the city of Houston became the prime target for Rita later this week. If you recall, that is where most of the New Orleans refugees went to escape the devastation created by Hurricane Katrina. Houston's emergency management officials are in the initial stages of preparation, advising residents of the danger posed by Rita. Close to 18,000 Katrina evacuees are still in shelters in Texas.

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, GA
      #55478 - Tue Sep 20 2005 06:55 PM

As far as SST's go...is it significant that Rita is moving much faster than Katrina did...thus not tapping the heat as deeply as ...say a slower moving storm? I'm not sure...and I have not read in the posts where that has been thrown into the mix.
Seems as though a quickly moving hurricane would only need to tap the upper surface heat before it was already into the next area

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

Convergence
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Ellicott City, Maryland
      #55479 - Tue Sep 20 2005 06:59 PM

Quote:

Surface temps, SSTs, yes, but not deep water.

Keep in mind that Rita is also moving at a good clip, so upwelling will be somewhat supressed.

edit: beaten by above

Edited by Convergence (Tue Sep 20 2005 07:00 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 80 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 50920

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center