F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
Bill
Unregistered

Slowing down, turning north?
      #5727 - Wed Oct 02 2002 04:06 PM

It seems Lili has suddenly slowed down and is hardly moving, north if anything...or am I seeing things?

IHS,

Bill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BabyCat at work
Unregistered

Re: Upper Texas. Louisiana Prepare Today
      #5728 - Wed Oct 02 2002 04:23 PM

I noticed that too BIll, a tiny jog. You can watch this thing frame by frame on the Navy's satellite.
But I have to say the margin for error as far as this thing hitting the Houston area is too close for comfort. Hope Mom decided to take a drive north.

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
LOL Bill...
      #5729 - Wed Oct 02 2002 04:25 PM

That's the ultimate disaster scenario for N.O. As I noted yesterday, it's 72 hours to evacuate the city. They don't have 20 as it is now. Bob Breck's key was the lattitude when it crosses 90. If it crossed 90 at 25.2, then it was on NHC track, anything above 25.2 would put it to the right. I haven't looked at the sat lately but I guess I need to go do that now!

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Storm of the century .... sure
      #5730 - Wed Oct 02 2002 04:32 PM

Here's my rationale... it could be the storm of the century to the people most affected by it... I'm not saying from the year 2002 to 2102 per se.... but it's affect on the individuals during their life time...

Case in point... I'm 50 .... I've experienced my storm of the century during Camille... I doubt that I ever experience another one.. at least I hope.... I've been through some strong Cat 2s but that about it... statistically speaking, and you know your statistics, the chances of me going through another Cat 5 is extremely remote...

HF... how many Cat 4s have you been through??? ... I mean taked a direct hit from it... in the eye wall sort of thing... probably not very many... it is not that often that someone experiences a direct hit with a Cat 4 and even less with a Cat 5.... Of course this is all speculation as Lili has not yet gotten to Cat 4.... but IMO, if it does, then she most likely will be the storm of the century for those poor people who will go through her eye wall and areas just east .... Just like Andrew was the storm of the century for the residents of S Fla and Hugo was the storm of the century for those people in SC that experienced his fury.... Lili might just be the storm of the century for SW LA... my opinion....

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: LOL Bill...
      #5731 - Wed Oct 02 2002 04:33 PM

It will definitely be north of 25.2 when it crosses 90. It should be more like 26 or 26.2. (at the current motion)

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Slowing down, turning north?
      #5732 - Wed Oct 02 2002 04:48 PM

Looking at the GOES loop doesn't look like it slowing down to me.... if it is, its not that evident yet... unless I don't have the latest images to look at.. it still looks NW I could be using old frames... Using the GOES 15:45 UTC IF I have the center at 25.14N and 89.16W

If someone has a better link to show this slowdown I'd sure like to view it...

ciao

Mary K.
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #5733 - Wed Oct 02 2002 04:50 PM

I have been following your thread. Since it appears the storm will be north 25.2 before it gets to 90 what does that mean for the people on the northern gulf coast.? Some of us (me) are not very bright about reading maps even though I know where LA, Missi,Ala and by all means, Texas is. Please some one lay it out for us. Iam not on the northern Gulf coast but my family is.

--------------------
weather is all you can count on, good or bad.

Kimmie at work
Unregistered

Re: I'm not really sure...
      #5734 - Wed Oct 02 2002 04:51 PM

Baton Rouge is beginning to prepare for the possibility of hurricane force winds beginning tomorrow morning. The local weather in BR is reporting that this is a very serious situation and that all residents south of I-10 between BR and Lake Charles need to be prepared soon! Traffic here in town is horrible. And, I heard that they are getting out of New Iberia by the truckloads! Heading for Alexandria. Louisiana, stay safe, and listen to your local stations for watches and warnings. Kimmie

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Depends on where they are...
      #5735 - Wed Oct 02 2002 04:54 PM

It doesn't mean a whole lot for me other than I'll be closer to the center (25-50 miles?) and likely to see a little more rain or wind. Of course he put out that information at 7am and obviously NHC did adjust their track a bit to the right. One of my attorney's down in Lafayette said they're reporting down in Acadiana that Intracoastal City is probably where it's going in - putting him on the East side. Lafayette is pretty high (by LA standards), but they're sure to experience widespread power outages and probable gusts to Hurricane force. Lafayette metro is about 350k (Lafayette, Broussard, Youngsville, Cade, Scott, Jeanerette, New Iberia, etc.) and likely to be the most heavily affected area as it looks now.

Steve

--------------------

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Bastardi's noon update totally disagrees with TPC...
      #5736 - Wed Oct 02 2002 05:00 PM

He likes a westerly solution 60 miles further over than NHC. He's nearly convinced. To me, I see much more NW at this point. Who knows?

Steve

--------------------

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Just watched Bastardi's TU from this morning...
      #5737 - Wed Oct 02 2002 05:06 PM

He proposed a very interesting solution of the European Model which basically brings a positively tilted trof that MISSES Lili and sends her right over New Orleans on Saturday. Stranger things have happened, but the ECMWF was extremely good with Isidore. As Joe said, "food for thought."

Steve

--------------------

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
pressure drop
      #5738 - Wed Oct 02 2002 05:20 PM

latest recon found 941 and a 131kt flght level wind. WOW!!!!!! I don't understand Joe B. logic on this one. Lili has been consistently right of the models tracks (allbeit barely off). I believe she is right of the current track already. New Iberia is still my target if not a little east of there still. She is turning more and more north with each wobble. I just hope the turn NE waits until after landfall. If it occurs a little sooner, look out. I must admit I never thought she would get this strong. Goog luck to all.

FlaRebel
Unregistered

#5739 - Wed Oct 02 2002 05:34 PM

No doubt it will be north of 25.2 when it crosses 90. It's already at 25.2 or better and still has almost a degree to go to get to 90. Looks like a wobble or a slight job to the north.

Brett
Unregistered

quick q
      #5740 - Wed Oct 02 2002 05:40 PM

Whats the best site you guys are all using to watch the storm frame to frame? I am not sure if the ones I look at are updated frequently enough.

Thanks

BabyCat at work
Unregistered

Re: quick q
      #5741 - Wed Oct 02 2002 05:43 PM

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc-bin/tc_home
I've been using this website but I'm curious what others watch, too.

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
NNW Movement
      #5742 - Wed Oct 02 2002 05:51 PM

Last few frames show a turn more NNW. Like Joe B I am a believer in patterns. This year, the pattern has been for these storms to find a home near 90. I don't see Lili deviating far from this pattern. I don't believe she will make it past 92. If i'm wrong, I will eat my grilled crow on the grill while tailgaiting in the rain in Tuscaloosa this weekend.

FlaRebel
Unregistered

Re: quick q
      #5743 - Wed Oct 02 2002 05:51 PM

This is the one I've been looking at.

http://www.ghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goes8hurrir.html

FlaRebel
Unregistered

CAT 4!!
      #5744 - Wed Oct 02 2002 06:12 PM

Holy smokes! Hang on folks!

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Run to the hills!
      #5745 - Wed Oct 02 2002 06:26 PM

Cat 4 possible Cat 5. I would not be taking a chance if i was in Galveston to NO. Anything within 15-20 miles of the coast, i would be loading up the car and heading inland. I would not want to take the chance of a wobble her or there bringing the most intense 25 miles of this storm overhead. I can see a Hugo type situation with a 10-20 mile wide stretch of heavy damage for up to 50 miles inland along the center of the storm. My advice to you if you are reading this board with in 15-20 miles of the coast in the warning area: Turn off the computer, pack the car and GO!

--------------------
Jim

tom5r
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Islamorada, Florida
Re: CAT 4!!
      #5746 - Wed Oct 02 2002 06:32 PM

A cat 4 indeed! She's now a potential killer if she wasn't already. All in the warning area should get out now while you still can. The outer bands are becoming visible on the lake charles long range radar. Time's running out.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 89601

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center