F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Tropical Storm Tammy Forms off East Central Florida Coast
      #57781 - Wed Oct 05 2005 11:43 AM

Tropical Storm Tammy forms off the East Central Florida coast, tropical storm warnings up.

Tropical Storm warnings are up from Cocoa Beach, northward to the south santee River in South Carolina.

Tammy is quickly moving north northwest, bringing much rain and wind to east and northeastern Florida and eventually Georgia and South Carolina Some portions of the east coast will feel Tropical Storm force winds, but most of the activity remains north and east of the center.

Report Tammy conditions in your area here

A spin off area from Stan, near the Yucatan, is also worth watching over the next few days as this has the potential to impact the western coast of Florida. However chances are rather low for things to develop here in the short term.

More to come during the day.

Image courtesy SkeetobiteWeather.com
Comments/Feedback on the maps look here.

Event Related Links
Jacksonville, FL Long Range Radar Loop
Miami, FL Long Range Radar
Melbourne, FL Long Range Radar

Spaghetti Style model plots from Colorado State University

StormCarib hurricane reports from observers in the Islands
Caribbean Island Weather Reports
Color Sat of Gulf
RAMSDIS high speed visible Floater of Storms

Forecast Discussions for (Show All Locations):
Miami, Key West, Melbourne

Tammy

Animated model plot of Tammy

93L Yucatan Area

94L

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HURRICANELONNY
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: HOLLYWOOD,FL.
Re: Tropical Storm Tammy Forms off East Central Florida Coast [Re: MikeC]
      #57783 - Wed Oct 05 2005 11:51 AM

Amazing. I'm surprised without a plane it's a name and not a depression. Then again what's the difference. I'm more interested in what is coming from the Yucatan. Seems like a little spin in the convection on water vapor loop. It's heading NE towards Florida. Don't know if it will amount to anything. At this rate Alpha ain't far away.
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/gmex-wv-loop.html

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Tammy Forms off East Central Florida Coast [Re: HURRICANELONNY]
      #57785 - Wed Oct 05 2005 11:58 AM

Quote:

Amazing. I'm surprised without a plane it's a name and not a depression. Then again what's the difference. I'm more interested in what is coming from the Yucatan. Seems like a little spin in the convection on water vapor loop. It's heading NE towards Florida. Don't know if it will amount to anything. At this rate Alpha ain't far away.
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/gmex-wv-loop.html

What the $@*! Where did THAT come from? (I know, it's been there the whole time, I just never expected it to amount to anything). It almost appears as if the whole area - Tammy and the area that is emerging off the Yucatan - is spinning around the ULL that is southeast of me. Maybe that's not such a bad thing for me. The ULL is likely to push Tammy into Georgia/South Carolina, and the would-be Vince into the Keys and then out into the Atlantic... isn't it? Or will the ULL move out of the way and allow "Vince" (if it develops into that) to move northward toward the Panhandle?

Maybe I'll just dig a hole. Looking at the "Visible" imagery on SSD for the GOM... the thing on the Yucatan definately has a spin to it. When it emerges into the Yucatan Channel (presumably later today)... will we have Vince already? The TWO doesn't even mention this, so I assume they don't EXPECT it to amount to anything... but they didn't want to send a plane into what is now Tammy last night, either, so forgive me if I have less faith in the NHC right now than some people...

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Edited by Hugh (Wed Oct 05 2005 12:07 PM)

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Tammy Forms off East Central Florida Coast [Re: Hugh]
      #57787 - Wed Oct 05 2005 12:06 PM

I was going to say that although Tammy will give some one some trouble, the convection coming off the Yucatan is bothersome considering the models and their predictions earlier in the week. There is some untapped water off the Western coast of Florida that has not been turned up or aired out yet. If that little puff ball gets spinning, the west coast of Florida could see more trouble than it has since Charlie Frances and Jean. And, the name? Wilma..........!!!!!!? *Flintstones*

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Tammy Forms off East Central Florida Coast [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #57788 - Wed Oct 05 2005 12:09 PM

Quote:

I was going to say that although Tammy will give some one some trouble, the convection coming off the Yucatan is bothersome considering the models and their predictions earlier in the week. There is some untapped water off the Western coast of Florida that has not been turned up or aired out yet. If that little puff ball gets spinning, the west coast of Florida could see more trouble than it has since Charlie Frances and Jean. And, the name? Wilma..........!!!!!!? *Flintstones*

Uh...the name would be Vince. Let's not jump names or they really WILL run out soon.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

orlandocanewatcher
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: E Central Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Tammy Forms off East Central Florida Coast [Re: MikeC]
      #57797 - Wed Oct 05 2005 12:35 PM

WOW!! Looks like a busy and wet couple of days for Florida lie ahead. Kinda of had a hunch about Tammy, but the Stan leftovers really look scary, especially looking at the WV loop and where it looks like it is headed.

Genesis
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm Tammy Forms off East Central Florida Coast [Re: orlandocanewatcher]
      #57803 - Wed Oct 05 2005 01:16 PM

Quote:

WOW!! Looks like a busy and wet couple of days for Florida lie ahead. Kinda of had a hunch about Tammy, but the Stan leftovers really look scary, especially looking at the WV loop and where it looks like it is headed.

Yeah, the WV looks like it would suck that thing up along the western end of the peninsula, perhaps going over Key West first..... not a good scenario, and a very uncommon one - a storm coming out of the southwest?! Not the usual path!

bobbutts
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: New Hampshire
      #57804 - Wed Oct 05 2005 01:22 PM

Not liking the looks of Yucatan storm from where I sit here in Port Charlotte.. To my amateur eye looks like a strengthening tropical system headed in our general direction.

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Tropical Storm Tammy Forms off East Central Florida Coast [Re: bobbutts]
      #57805 - Wed Oct 05 2005 01:28 PM

Boy, Tammy is getting no respect from us at all !!!

It's not unusual for late season storms to form in the SW Gulf and move NE.

We can survive the rain. Let's just keep the wind out of here.

bobbutts
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: New Hampshire
      #57807 - Wed Oct 05 2005 01:35 PM

Fron wunderground blogs:

http://www.weatherunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/show.html

"Some moisture from Stan has also broken off and emerged into the Yucatan Channel, but wind shear in this region is too high to allow a tropical storm to form."

http://www.weatherunderground.com/blog/SteveGregory/show.html
"REMNANTS OF STNB APPEWAR TO HAVE FORMED CYCLIONE ALONG MEXICAN WEST COAST

BUT MAJOR ENERGY FOUND OVER YUCATANT THIS AM
THIS HAS NO UPPER LEVEL SUPPRT YET -- BUT NOGAPS/GFS REFORM A T.C. TO
THE WEST IN 48 HOURS AND MOVE INTO THE NORTHEAST GULF OF MEXICO FOR WEEKEND."

oklahoma

Reged:
      #57809 - Wed Oct 05 2005 02:01 PM

When was the last time North FL or GA was hit by a Hurricane or TS?

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Re: Tropical Storm Tammy Forms off East Central Florida Coast [Re: oklahoma]
      #57810 - Wed Oct 05 2005 02:08 PM

very sissy t.s. edouard hit near daytona in 2002. kyle (also very weak) brushed the coast later in the year, but no actual landfall. t.s. chris made landfall near savannah in 1988. t.s. isabel made landfall near jacksonville in 1985. the last hurricane to make landfall was david in 1979, at savannah. there have been tropical storm conditions brought to the area by systems crossing from the gulf almost as often as atlantic hits.. storms like tammy are not common. there isn't time for it to strengthen much, but it may slow as it gets closer to ga.
HF 1408z05october

Tropics Guy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Miami, Florida
      #57813 - Wed Oct 05 2005 02:43 PM

Looks like that huge chunk of energy left over from Stan is moving NE off the Yucatan towards South Florida. NWS has a flood watch for our area for heavy rains moving in tomorrow & friday. Hopefully the shear will keep this in check from developing too fast as it moves closer to Fla.

TG

--------------------
Tropical Cyclones: "Mother nature's heat transfer machines"

Bloodstar

Reged:
Loc: Tucson, AZ
TD 19 Making a comeback? and the Stan Rainband [Re: HanKFranK]
      #57814 - Wed Oct 05 2005 02:46 PM

Around 50W 24N.... I think that's the remains of TD19... Still firing up convection, sheared horribly but it looks like the shear is weakening and ... well... you never know it seems. Anyone elses take on that system?

And I see the Yucatan storm, looks like it's underneath a narrow ridge of high pressure, if it presists...

Be kinda sickening to run out of storm names in the first half of october.

-Mark

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

LisaA

Reged:
Loc: Melbourne FL
Re: Tropical Storm Tammy Forms off East Central Florida Coast [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #57815 - Wed Oct 05 2005 02:48 PM

Are there any model plots yet for Stan remnants in the Yucatan? It could be nearing FL W Coast by tomorrow?

--------------------
Moved to FL 7/04, unpacked and honkered down. Worth it to be in paradise!

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
      #57816 - Wed Oct 05 2005 02:50 PM

NHC said last night that it would take very little for a tropical depression or storm to form, which turned out to be the case. There isn't much that a recon plane could have added about the system that wouldn't already be apparent in the radar and surface obs, since the system was so close to the coast. Given the already strong wind field to the north of where the center formed, it was a tropical storm waiting to happen and it happened as soon as there was evidence of a closed circulation. One thing a plane might tell us is the max winds in the NE quadrant. So far, there has been no evidence of tropical storm force winds that I am aware of, and the radar velocities are only maxing out at 40 knots, if that.

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: TD 19 Making a comeback? and the Stan Rainband [Re: Bloodstar]
      #57818 - Wed Oct 05 2005 02:57 PM

Nah, that thing near 24N/50W is an upper-level low, and a quite vigorous one at that. What's left of TD 19 is at about 23N/44W and is being rather ill-defined right now.

Tammy's pretty much behaving as expected (see blog on the main page), albeit moving a little faster. Bumps up landfall by 6-12hr but doesn't change anything else to any large degree.

That area just off of the Yucatan will likely get drawn toward the north and northeast around the periphery of the upper-low over the Gulf and with some ties to Tammy. Development will be hindered by interaction with Cuba and Florida...may serve to trigger something in the Gulf Stream down the line, though.

dave foster
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: UK
Re: Tropical Storm Tammy Forms off East Central Florida Coast [Re: Genesis]
      #57819 - Wed Oct 05 2005 02:58 PM

I have to say that I really don't like the look of that mass moving up the side of the Yucatan.

It gives me a really bad feeling.

With Tammy moving NW I could see the Yucatan mass moving north into the GOM, intensifying and skirting the western coast of Florida, which would be on it's clean side.

Disclaimer: I'm just a novice so I hope I'm wrong.

--------------------
Dave Foster
http://www.ascn92.dsl.pipex.com

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Tropical Storm Tammy Forms off East Central Florida Coast [Re: LisaA]
      #57820 - Wed Oct 05 2005 03:03 PM

There does seem to be some sort of circulation over the Yucutan, to the west of the very deep convection which has emerged over water. Exactly what this is and to what extent it is directly related to Stan, I'm not sure, but it's there and could develop into something if the circulation remains intact until it emerges over water. Conditions aren't too favorable for intensification, considering that there is a deepening upper low sitting just to its north.

Considering that there is a very large disturbed area of weather, with some tropical and non-tropical development (depending on where you look), the predictability of this whole mess is going to be pretty low.

Edit: The system over the Yucutan is now classified as 93L

Edited by Thunderbird12 (Wed Oct 05 2005 03:05 PM)

craigm
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Palm City, Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Tammy Forms off East Central Florida Coast [Re: LisaA]
      #57821 - Wed Oct 05 2005 03:04 PM

No plots yet, it is not an invest. Model runs pick something up.Just run the loops and watch the isobars:

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/tcgengifs/

--------------------
Why I'm here:
Weather hobbyist

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 81 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 42887

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center