F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

General Discussion >> Site Updates, Suggestions and Questions

Pages: 1
Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Site issue...any ideas?
      #59659 - Wed Oct 19 2005 10:57 PM

This has been happening for almost 2 weeks now. I'm wondering if anyone has an idea as to why. Whenever I load or reload a page on FLHurricane.com my DSL router somtimes resets itself. This doesn't happen with any other websites. I'm thinking that one of the image servers could be sending bad packets, but I can't seem to track it down. I'm pretty sure it isn't the main server since the main page almost always loads before the router crashes. So, any ideas?

--RC

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: Site issue...any ideas? [Re: Random Chaos]
      #59673 - Wed Oct 19 2005 11:17 PM

Ok, I tracked down the culprit:

image3.flhurricane.com

The source of our favicon.ico file...now lets hope that only 1 image server was a problem. I'll know tomorrow evening for sure - the crashes only happen during a few hour interval in the evenings. The rest of the day and night they don't happen. Wierd...

weatherwatcher2
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Parrish florida
      #59689 - Wed Oct 19 2005 11:43 PM

sometimes when I click on links on the main page I get a message that internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. Its also only on this site. I dont know if this is related or not. Kinda strange.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Site issue...any ideas? [Re: weatherwatcher2]
      #59761 - Thu Oct 20 2005 01:12 AM

I haven't been able to figure that one out. I think it's a bug in the way Internet Explorer handles css stylesheets.

The front page is pure css, with no tables for layout (mainly because it uses much less bandwidth than tables). It uses some tricks to get things to display correctly, some of them don't like IE it seems. I'm working on tweaking it.

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: Site issue...any ideas? [Re: MikeC]
      #59774 - Thu Oct 20 2005 01:26 AM

I've never encountered any issues with CSS and IE before, and, while at home and work I mainly use Firefox, I do web application development so I have to test everything in IE too. Looking through your CSS code, I suspect the culprit is a single line:

filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Shadow(color=gray,direction=135);

It is in http://image4.flhurricane.com/cyclone/stylesheets/flhurricane.css and is the only non-standard CSS item in there that I could see, plus, since it calls DirectX stuff, is a likely culprit to crash on some systems and not others.

--RC

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
      #59953 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:30 AM

It was a bug in the way IE handles the overflow tag under certain circumstances, ie interaction between relative positioning and absolute positioning. What's interesting is that it causes an overflow in ie so it probably qualifies as a potential security bug.

There are plenty of css issues in IE, in this site alone I've run into and had to create workarounds for:

auto margin handling, float peekaboo, expanding boxes,. incorrect width calculations on dhtml (This one really bugs me), line height and replace miscalculations, semi random doubling of float margins, and apparant phantom boxes. All of which are in the general css spec, but have problems in IE.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4492

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center